Forums are back in action! ×

Sovalis' Epic Quest: Blacksmith Arms!

Hi Friends!

I went and got my second InBody scan done this morning. It shows my weight up five pounds which gave me a flutter of consternation, but after studying the form a bit I don't think there's really anything to worry about. If I'm understanding things correctly, 1.5 lbs of the gain is muscle and 2 lbs of it is water. I expected I gained a bit of actual weight from the trip and it seems I did, but only ~1.5 lbs. That is super reasonable for how little I was managing my goals and just going with the flow. 

Super stoked about that new muscle!! ????

The sheet, for posterity:

20230620_085057.thumb.jpg.a7e7501eb73c0d24ab32c159a81bbbbd.jpg

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 3

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hi Friends!

Just popping in to make a note for myself that I am changing how I am eating to a more intuitive, whole foods, plant forward model that is less concerned with actual macro tracking and more concerned with enjoyment and enchantment. I documented this in my current challenge, but I wanted it here, too. I don’t intend to do it forever, but I think I am burning out on tracking and finding it’s limiting my enjoyment of food, so this is a good way to rejuvenate my palette and enjoy all the summer produce. I also have purchased resistance bands thanks to Heidi and Mistr and am using them regularly at the shop (every other day). I am currently doing three sets of the Darebee Band It workout, and think I’ll be up to four sets next week. Also, I am taking a wider stance in my squats and that seems to be making a difference in depth and less crunchiness of the knees. So that’s good. My weight is hovering around 286 which seems alright. 

• Like 3

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

I find it useful to follow the recommended servings on the Med diet to ensure I'm still getting a good variety without the need to worry about macros, personally. Both my challenge and battle logs have the breakdown as far as what that actually entails. I like that it doesn't really restrict anything in particular but really encourages whole foods, especially fruits and vegetables. I also picked it because almost every medical diet is this one minus your trigger foods, pretty much. There's a lot of information about it readily available and it's pretty easy to adapt to your own cooking. I've previously struggled with wanting to follow diets in the lifestyle sense but not be stuck with a bunch of random recipes or poor macro balance.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Sovalis said:

don’t intend to do it forever, but I think I am burning out on tracking and finding it’s limiting my enjoyment of food, so this is a good way to rejuvenate my palette and enjoy all the summer produce

Yay! It’s really awesome you are in tune with yourself and avoiding burnout.  And you are right, summertime is so good for eating all the produce. Nom nom! Bon Appetit!

• Like 1

Hi All!

Just an accountability post to say that I have emailed the Base Gym about going in for my InBody scan this week as I didn’t do it during zero week. My weight is up to ~290 and I have a feeling that it’s not all muscle. I am feeling some kind of way about the gain considering that I have been eating brilliantly for breakfast and lunch and then there’s been a lot of takeout for dinner lately because of the heat and Dave’s preferences. I am feeling slightly guilty about the part of me that is looking forward to him being in Latvia for six weeks so I don’t have the temptations of eating out all the time to deal with. I will post my sheet once I get it. 

I have been getting more movement as the plantar fasciitis heals but could be doing more. Isn’t that always the way? ?

• Like 1

Hi All! 

Okay, so the scan shows very little change from last time and I'm not surprised by it. I gained 0.2 lbs of muscle and ~1 lb of fat mass. I have barely been active, so I accept these results without qualm. My sheet: 

20230803_132505.thumb.jpg.2031eb4f85fe1a946850071e08028d16.jpg

More to do, more to do! 

• Like 1

Hi All! 

Went and did another scan yesterday and am much more excited about these results. I'm down 7.4 lbs overall. Unfortunately 2 lbs of that was muscle which surprised me. Four and a bit were fat, which was great, and the rest was water. I'm pretty happy to see some movement in these readings. 

I haven't been prioritizing lunch since I started at Jack's because I get a 15 minute break and hate rushing when I eat. But I think the muscle loss might be in part due to a lack of protein from that missing meal, so I need to get that figured out. I also think that now that I'm not having three hour baths every night trying to relieve my aching feet I can start working in some exercise again. I think I'll prioritize dumbbells and dead bugs and see how that goes. The scan says I've lost weight in both arms, so maybe new muscles will show up better. ?

My sheet, for records: 

20230928_082003.thumb.jpg.058f9a6c22fc0a313bfee1cf679dfaf3.jpg

Thanks for being here! ?

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 2

New scan this morning!

20231201_101421.thumb.jpg.fd630216184e45e72bf5edcafb02496e.jpg

• That's Metal 2

Okay, general thoughts for 2024: 

1) Kitchen Witch: Dave commented that I shouldn't buy a new cookbook until I've cooked out of all of the other cookbooks I have that I've never used. There are 20 of them, I counted. I would like to make one recipe from each (at a minimum) this year. I want to be back to prepping batch meals for the freezer and eating out once a week or less even when Dave is home. 

2) Morning, Sunshine: My most successful habit stacking happens in the morning when I get up, take my meds, make coffee, and do dog chores. I want to extend that habit stack by one item that alternates days: lifting or dishes, to be done while the coffee is brewing. I always journal and do my Tarot with my coffee, and I'm just finding it hard to get moving again after being in that reflective place, so maybe doing the chores/lifting before I settle in to write will be better? 

3) Piggy Bank: I'm not doing a hard and fast no-spend, but I am going to focus on spending mindfully. Obvious costs like gas, groceries, and bills are obvious, which includes work lunches if I need them. Want to limit my spending on luxuries and fripperies because I've been a bit of a magpie and really want this debt cleared off. 

More pondering to come. 

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

I'm pondering a few similar items, this is super exciting!

1. Kitchen witchery for cooking and baking but also adding in some other things like hair/skin care, lotions, salves using essential oils and herbs. I've been interested for awhile, but haven't actually done anything so I think this year is the year to try it.

2. I want to greet the day. I did really well last year/early this year about stepping outside first thing and doing a small adapted sun salutation flow 3 times. I left out the plank to cobra to downward facing dog part since I didn't want to drag my mat out every morning just for that. I'm thinking of doing something similar to greet the day and ground myself first thing while also filling my lungs with fresh air as soon as I wake up. I can do this when I let the dogs out first thing to stack it.

3. I'm focused on paying down debt, too! Not a full on No-Spend, like you mentioned, but definitely a little more focused on limiting luxuries (and fripperies.. had to, it's such a fun word)

I cannot wait to see what else that delightful mind of yours comes up with

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

You don't have to be perfect, you just have to be better than you were before. Do that every day and you will succeed.

Hi Friends!

New scan today! Down ~0.4 lbs of muscle and ~3 lbs of fat since my December scan, woot! 

20240129_150129.thumb.jpg.993288752b3605ba04a47ba6134eee52.jpg

• Like 2

I lifted today! It’s hard to not think of what I managed to do in a minimizing way because it wasn’t much, especially compared to what I used to be able to do back when I was power lifting. But that was years ago and comparison is not useful here. Best to just remember that I have walked this path before and know that I can do this thing if I stick to it. That is the value of the memory. This is only my second set of lifts since the beginning of January which was not the plan, but I am trying to be encouraged by the fact that I did something instead of once again doing nothing. That was a good choice. Good job, Self. 

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 2

20240318_083458.thumb.jpg.9c831bf7211a46b5e4a92fae05f0985d.jpg

New InBody today! I'm ~3-4 lbs up for weight compared to recent weigh ins at home, but there were clothes and a lack of a bowel movement and a lot of wheat the previous day, so I expected things to be higher. Still hard to see 268 instead of 264, though. I'll get there. I have time. 

What was interesting is that I had ~3 lbs fat loss and ~0.5 lbs muscle loss overall if I'm reading it right, even with my weight being up. My water numbers were pretty weird, meaning lots of inflammation, which I was anticipating. But that number is the highest it's been since I started tracking so I really need to gear that down intensively. 

So at least there is fat loss and minimal muscle loss, even if it's not the total amount of "weight" loss I wanted to see. I'm pretty content. I might go back in during Zero Week if I get a lower home scale weigh in and see if that makes the water weight number make more sense. 

• Like 3

I went and did another inBody scan on Friday after avoiding wheat subsequent to the scan that happened on Monday. The numbers were so much better, including the water number that indicates the inflammation in my body. It was also a nice bonus that my weight came down. Of course that drop was strictly water from the inflammation, but I'll take it!

Sheet for posterity: 

20240322_092137.thumb.jpg.a21bc0ba311333625311d663e015cd45.jpg

I am grappling a bit with the idea that I need to be off wheat in a more permanent way. I love to bake, and losing that when I was doing keto was very challenging for me. I do bake more for other people than for myself, so this leads me to believe that I may be able to maintain the Hobby in some capacity while not actually inflicting damage on myself. However, every now and then you want to eat what you make. Things can just be really slippery in the slope, and I want to avoid dealing with that. This is surprisingly emotional rather than intellectual and I'm finding that really interesting to navigate. More on that to come, I think.

• Like 2

Apparently I'm missing an InBody scan here. Interesting. 

I went and did my scan for the next challenge this morning. My weight is up, but it's a combination of muscle and water and my body fat percentage actually went down a bit. I'm excited to see that! I knew my water weight would be high this check in as I had a lot of wheat this week. Seeing the increase in muscle and the decrease in body fat is highly encouraging. 

20240610_085237.thumb.jpg.09e32e0f9f6ca7be74ea551d9b859c97.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Friends! 

I decided to go for an InBody scan this morning. I was a little higher on the scale this morning than I was yesterday, but it was still a good weigh in. I'm down 5.5 lbs this month (before a bowel movement, so that might actually be a bit higher). It's really good to do these check ins because I sometimes feel the week to week progress is so slow I'm not getting anywhere, but then seeing the month to month is all BAM, Progress!! About half of what I lost this month was fat, and the rest was water and a bit of muscle. Considering I'm not doing *anything* to retain my muscle right now (including eating enough protein) I'm fine with these results. I also got two compliments on my outfit which is some gym duds from seven years ago that I finally fit into again. So that felt good. 

Chart for records! 

20240711_091521.thumb.jpg.9f1c430650c409c2f5bc9cf7f1138152.jpg

• Like 2

A new scan!

Highlights:

1) Inflammation was quite high, but I'm not surprised with the DOMS from new workouts and the bruising on my right knee. 

2) Modest fat loss brought my body fat percentage below 50% which I am SO EXCITED ABOUT. 

20240913_101544.thumb.jpg.900a290e31b6a143a894bc84f83722fd.jpg

• That's Metal 3