Forums are back in action! ×

Do I *really* need a spotter?

I think my eventual path is going to lead me to doing a serious free weight work at a gym to build strength.

I'm sort of borderline autistic and social phobic and I am convinced that I'm not ever gonna be able to do any of it safely as I can't grasp the etiquette and social conventions around spotting. So should I try to muddle on my own or do I need to figure out the conventions?

GrimmThing - Warrior

Maybe I'm just too dumb to collapse - - too ugly to die !! I'll let you figure out the reasons...

Current ChallengeNF Workout Log

I've asked for a spot on bench a couple times at the gym because the roll of shame hurts. OW. Other than that, like Roo said, I'm all on my own.

Usually I look for a dude who's just finished his set and ask if he would mind spotting. I've never had someone refuse.

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Spotters aren't that necessary. I have never used one. For squats you can find power racks/cages with safety pins that allows you to bail pretty easily. Same for bench, or you can do the roll of shame just as easily. That said, while there are many ways to do it without a spotter, you must be safety conscious when doing so. Learn to bail out of your lifts at light weight so you know what to do.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

What bigm said. I'm Socially Awkward Penguin, and I ain't been crushed to death yet.

And don't let worry about the bench press stop you from trying all the other wonderful ways we get to play with gravity. You only need safety in the bench because there's this mass of iron hovering over your vital organs :)

Here's some video of me failing at bench, squat and deadlift all!

- the bench form is really off, but you get the idea of how to set up the cage.

You don't NEED one as there are other ways to bail as long as you have the right equipment and know how to safely.

However, having a spotter is MUCH easier and comfortable should you need one. Since I only increase the weight a small bit each time I lift, only my last set is ever an issue. I just look up right before I am ready to do my last set, find someone walking by and say "Mind spotting me real quick?". It's that simple, never been refused. I then lie down, let them know I'm going for 5, and go at it. Bench is the only lift I even ask for a spotter on as the others are easy to bail on.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

GrimmThing, all great pieces of advice here.

As been stated, you don't "really" need a spotter. But here's the thing for you to consider. Working out and fitness and health, like most things in life, are always funner and more enjoyable with other people. So maybe you don't need a "spot" for your bench press, but maybe you want to find an easy way to be more "social" overcome you fears and meet other kool, like-minded people who share your passion for fitness. As MirGSS stated, he's never had anyone refuse. That's been my experience too. So what could be an easier way to start a conversation?

Latest: How to Get a Beach Bod in Only 15 Minutes a Day http://fitforlifepledge.com

9 out of every 10 injuries come from the bench press. I would suggest a spot for that. Everything else can be done without a spot if you lift properly

Agree with this. Deadlift and Squats are easy to bail from if you don't mind a little noise. Failing your last rep at bench press can be scary. Get a spotter, or set up a cage/rack if you want to work near failure at bench press. Or learn to do the roll of shame.

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

I love having a spotter who knows what he's doing. Encouragement, correct spotting, etc = awesome but confidence comes from learning to bail, which, btw, I learned from a spotter.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

On the bench in particular spotters are about the worst thing you can do. Save yourself a lot of grief and just do your bench work in the power cage.

Why? Because very few people in the gym whether members or trainers know how to spot properly even after you give them clear instructions. The minute a spotter breaks your line of sight with their hands they have broken your concentration and effectiveness on a heavy lifts. Finding someone that knows how to back off until you really need it is rare. Instead you get guys hovering their hands over the bar when your are struggling but have not failed essentially killing your focus and helping you cheat reps.

A power cage will let you bench to failure with confidence. Eliminate the weak link, the spotter.

On the bench in particular spotters are about the worst thing you can do. Save yourself a lot of grief and just do your bench work in the power cage.

Why? Because very few people in the gym whether members or trainers know how to spot properly even after you give them clear instructions. The minute a spotter breaks your line of sight with their hands they have broken your concentration and effectiveness on a heavy lifts. Finding someone that knows how to back off until you really need it is rare. Instead you get guys hovering their hands over the bar when your are struggling but have not failed essentially killing your focus and helping you cheat reps.

A power cage will let you bench to failure with confidence. Eliminate the weak link, the spotter.

I can't disagree with this more. Having a spotter gives me more confidence in going after that last rep because I know I won't drop it on myself should I fail. If something that small breaks your concentration, you need to do some focus exercises or something.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

You don't NEED one as there are other ways to bail as long as you have the right equipment and know how to safely.

However, having a spotter is MUCH easier and comfortable should you need one. Since I only increase the weight a small bit each time I lift, only my last set is ever an issue. I just look up right before I am ready to do my last set, find someone walking by and say "Mind spotting me real quick?". It's that simple, never been refused. I then lie down, let them know I'm going for 5, and go at it. Bench is the only lift I even ask for a spotter on as the others are easy to bail on.

^This is me, pretty much verbatim. If I'm having a really great day in the gym and think I can get my last 5, I won't ask for a spot. If, however, I struggled through the first two sets, I'll ask. I've learned over time that when I'm getting somebody to spot me who never has, I need to be specific about what I want. Usually, telling them that I'm going for 5, it's probably going to be ugly, but I don't want them to touch the bar unless it's actually going the wrong way will do the trick. There are a couple of people I look for specifically, since I know they will do exactly what I need. Having a great spotter does give me the confidence to push through the last really hard rep(s).

I'd never ask a random person in the gym to spot me, because I don't trust random people to know what they are doing. But if I know the person, and trust them to do it right, then I see no reason not to have a spotter.

--

Liz

Shameless plug for my online photo gallery

Check out my backyard bird feeders

I'd never ask a random person in the gym to spot me, because I don't trust random people to know what they are doing. But if I know the person, and trust them to do it right, then I see no reason not to have a spotter.

You guys are really scared of people screwing up spotting. I don't see it, just tell them not to touch the bar unless you tell them to. Kinda hard to screw that up.

500 / 330 / 625

You guys are really scared of people screwing up spotting. I don't see it, just tell them not to touch the bar unless you tell them to. Kinda hard to screw that up.

The bench press is a dangerous lift. When I have weight directly over my head and neck, I'm not trusting some random stranger to hold my life in their hands, no matter how hard it may be to screw up. It's nothing to do with being scared - I'm just not stupid.

--

Liz

Shameless plug for my online photo gallery

Check out my backyard bird feeders

I can't disagree with this more. Having a spotter gives me more confidence in going after that last rep because I know I won't drop it on myself should I fail. If something that small breaks your concentration, you need to do some focus exercises or something.

Really? I would trust the steel rails of a power cage over any human spotter. Hard steel vs. some random dude, steel wins. As for concentration, any distraction is not a good thing. It's no different than not squatting in front of a mirror. Why would someone want to do something that has the potential to cause problems when there is a simple solution that always works.

Maybe your gym is cooler than mine but I have given that direction to people and whether it was a member or trainer, bamm the hand is touching over or hovering over the bar when the I still have control but struggling. People everywhere seem to think the bench is a two man lift. :sulkiness: Element the weak link, the spotter.

Archived