Forums are back in action! ×

What's everyone reading?

I'm currently reading House of Chains by Stephen Erikson, book 4 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen series.  The books are dense but good reads.  TONNES of characters and story arcs that cross and meander about. 

I started reading this while I was waiting for Dance With Dragons to come out in paper back but its been delayed again.  So I'm just going to get it for the ereader and read it when this book is done.

Level 2 Half-Orc Ranger

STR 4|DEX 2.6|STA 5.8|CON 8|WIS 2|CHA 3

MyFitnessPal|My Endomondo

just purchased Vagaboding by Rolf Potts. I know it's a bit older, but I think deep down we all have a strong desire to travel the world and experience other cultures. I mostly read educational books, but I may be reading a few more "inspirational" books. I'm thinking of reading a few other types of books as well that I usually don't read. A friend of mine recommend World War Z and I might read The Great Gatsby. I won't lie, I saw the trailer for the The Great Gatsby and it seems like it would be an awesome book to read so I'll give it a try.

To Be Read in 500 Years, by Albert Goldbarth... I'm really enjoying it so far.

"You're not in it to get Most [Recognized Rebel Ever]. You're not in it to be eligible for prizes. You're in this because you made a promise to yourself and you refuse to let you down. Walk the talk. And even when you don't talk much, make the walk so powerful that it leaves no room for questions - from inside or out." -note to self Str7.5 Dex6 Sta5.7 Con11.8 Wis10.4 Cha2 Intro post~Challenge 1~Challenge 2~Challenge 3~Challenge 4~Battle Log 1 Ranger Level 3

I'm half way through Summer Knight by Jim Butcher, I just started Pilgrims Progress by John Bunyan, and I'm almost done with Lord of Chaos by Robert Jordan

Robert Jordan is AWESOME! I am rereading (for the 5th or 6th time) the series and I am on the second book. Got to reacquaint myself w/the characters for the new book that just came out

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Nothing is ever easy." Zeddicus Zull Zorander

"Do or Do Not, There is no try" Yoda

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Bench: 195lbs

Squat: 245lbs

Deadlift: 295lbs

Total weight: 735lbs

Goal Weight 1000lbs

The Almond Tree - Michelle Cohen Corasanti

It's about the tension between the Palestinians and the Israelis in the 50s/60s. I'm about halfway through with the book and so far I'm really enjoying it. Some things are quite horrible to read about but I think it's quite realistic and honest about how things were(/still are in a way).

level 10 wood elf assassin

Intro1st challenge | .... | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | Current @ warriors

The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Edward Gibbon, via Librivox recording;

The Extraordinary Adventures of Arsène Lupin, by Maurice Leblanc;

I am also rereading an old favorite: Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts (this is the fiction book I recommend more than any other - there aren't words for this book, or this man's ability to write.)

"You're not in it to get Most [Recognized Rebel Ever]. You're not in it to be eligible for prizes. You're in this because you made a promise to yourself and you refuse to let you down. Walk the talk. And even when you don't talk much, make the walk so powerful that it leaves no room for questions - from inside or out." -note to self Str7.5 Dex6 Sta5.7 Con11.8 Wis10.4 Cha2 Intro post~Challenge 1~Challenge 2~Challenge 3~Challenge 4~Battle Log 1 Ranger Level 3

How is it nobody has mentioned the Divergent books, by Veronica Roth. Now that right there is a good read. Also, as mentioned before, The Maze Runner trilogy is amazing also, but, in my opinion, Divergent is better than both The Maze Runner AND The Hunger Games.

• Half-Orc Adventurer (Level 1)
  • Battle Log
  • (STR) - 2
  • (DEX) - 2
  • (STA) - 4
  • (CON) - 1
  • (WIS) - 5
  • (CHA) - 1
  • "If you are going through hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill

SHE has been put on the back burner a bit.  I recently finished The Etymologicon by Mark Forsyth.  A great, quick read about the origins of words in a humorous presentation!  I recommend it!

Currently, after about 3 tries, I'm reading Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller.  Subtitles Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality, it's a great read.  He's pretty honest in his writing and makes some great points. 

Human Ranger, Level 1Str: 2, Dex: 4, Sta: 2

Con: 2, Wis: 2; Cha: 3

I find myself doing more reading than usual, which is a surprise since I am just about done getting my Bachelor's in English. I've read a LOT of literature the past four years...

Currently I am reading the following:

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

Not a Fan by Kyle Idleman

40 Days to a Joy-Filled Life by Tommy Newberry

Iowa: The Middle Land by Dorothy Schwieder (for class)

I saw Robert Jordan mentioned and that series is next on my reading agenda when I finish the Song of Fire & Ice series. I think I've read the first 3-4 books of Jordan's series but lost interest years ago. I much prefer the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind.

Paladin

Level 1 Dwarven Scout

2 STR  |  3 DEX  |  3 STA  |  2 CON  |  3 WIS  |  2 CHA

Battle Log  |  Current Challenge: Paladin's Return to the Road

"Fat doesn't get sore, muscle does." Doctor Wes Nyberg

s

I find myself doing more reading than usual, which is a surprise since I am just about done getting my Bachelor's in English. I've read a LOT of literature the past four years...

Currently I am reading the following:

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

Not a Fan by Kyle Idleman

40 Days to a Joy-Filled Life by Tommy Newberry

Iowa: The Middle Land by Dorothy Schwieder (for class)

I saw Robert Jordan mentioned and that series is next on my reading agenda when I finish the Song of Fire & Ice series. I think I've read the first 3-4 books of Jordan's series but lost interest years ago. I much prefer the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind.

sword of truth is an amazing series omen machine ( sequel to sot) is excelent as well.

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Nothing is ever easy." Zeddicus Zull Zorander

"Do or Do Not, There is no try" Yoda

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Bench: 195lbs

Squat: 245lbs

Deadlift: 295lbs

Total weight: 735lbs

Goal Weight 1000lbs

Now I'm deeply into Haruki Murakami's The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle.

Ras'taban

Level 3 Half-Orc Ranger

STR 9 | DEX 2 | STA 5 | CON 4 | WIS 7 | CHA 2

All that is gold does not glitter,

Not all those who wander are lost;

The old that is strong does not wither,

Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

j.r.r. tolkien

One chapter remaining of Biohazard by Ken Alibek. It's a thoroughly disturbing history of the Soviet biological weapons program during the Cold War.

"If you would improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus

"You just gotta listen to your body, unless it's saying anything about stopping, pain, your joints, or needing water."

Level 20 Pilgrim (Adventurer 7, Assassin 3, Druid 2, Monk 10, Ranger 5, Rebel 9, Scout 10, Warrior 4)

I just finished Robin Hobb's City of Dragons which finished off the Rain Wilds series - good stuff, athough not as strong as the last one.  There was less action than I expected, but it was still a really solid read (and lots of new lore).

Wood Elf Assassin
  -- Level 10 --
STR 26 | DEX 13 | STA 19 | CON 7 | WIS 14 | CHA 14

Medusa' Gaze and Vampire Bite: The Science of Monsters - Matt Caplan. It explores monsters of legend and folktale and reasons people might have invented them. The author does a good job in pointing out that we're still in love with monsters today and invent many of our own.

"If you would improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus

"You just gotta listen to your body, unless it's saying anything about stopping, pain, your joints, or needing water."

Level 20 Pilgrim (Adventurer 7, Assassin 3, Druid 2, Monk 10, Ranger 5, Rebel 9, Scout 10, Warrior 4)

For February and March I finished

The Year of the Jackpot Robert A. Heinlein
American Gods Neil Gaiman
Invisible on Everest Mike Parsons & Mary Rose
Adobe Lightroom 4 Missing FAQ Victoria Bampton
Seed Rob Ziegler
Finders Keepers Craig Childs
Linen & Cotten Classic Sewing Susan Khalje
To Sell is Human Dan Pink

Seed is very good as is everything I've ever read from Craig Childs

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess