Forums are back in action! ×

sobriety

cracked_belle

I have a serious drinking problem. last night was my second meeting to work on it. it was also the first night in a long while that I didn't have any alcohol. not even a single glass of wine. w00t for me! :D

there is never a sudden revelation, a complete and tidy explanation for why it happened, or why it ends, or Why or Who you are. you want one and I want one, but there isn't one. it comes in bits and pieces, and you stitch them together wherever they fit, and when you are done you hold yourself up, and still there are holes and you are a rag doll, invented, imperfect. and yet you are all that you have, so you must be Enough. there is no other way.

Marya Hornbacher, Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia

Way to go! One day at a time.

thanks. today is day three now. :D

Sounds like you and I could be sobriety partners :)

sounds great! I mean, I don't plan on quitting completely. rather, I want to CONTROL it. I want to drink only for special occasions -- versus how it had become, which was NOT drinking as special requests, lol. I want to control when, what, and how much. but for now, that means none, heh.

btw, for how long have you been sober?

WOOT! I'm proud of you!

Drinking is a nasty dragon to slay,

Whole30 this challenge is helping me with that one too!

Keep it up girl!!!! You can do it!

thanks, darlin'. I wanna do the Whole30 one day. but it's baby steps right now.

Way to go, JTG! I know you're not "mine" to be proud of, but nevertheless, I am proud of you. This is a good thing you are doing.

gracias! and I understand the "mine" bit. I see you around the forums all the time, you and I just haven't spoken much.

and it is a good thing. thank you so much for phrasing it just as that. <3

One day at a time you can do it.

one day at a time is the only way I can approach it right now. thanks!

Great work!

thank you! :)

there is never a sudden revelation, a complete and tidy explanation for why it happened, or why it ends, or Why or Who you are. you want one and I want one, but there isn't one. it comes in bits and pieces, and you stitch them together wherever they fit, and when you are done you hold yourself up, and still there are holes and you are a rag doll, invented, imperfect. and yet you are all that you have, so you must be Enough. there is no other way.

Awesome! It can be such a hard thing to do, but I was in the same boat as you. Drinking was the norm, special occasions is when I didn't drink,then about 3 months ago I decided to change that. It was tough stopping, but I feel so much better now that I have. I do plan on drinking occasionally again (special dinners with the wife, visiting family, etc...) and am an avid home brewer, I tested the waters last weekend to see and I was able to keep myself to one glass of wine with dinner, but other than that I haven't drank since. (Saves a ton of money too!) Good luck, you can do this!

I mean, I don't plan on quitting completely. rather, I want to CONTROL it.

btw, for how long have you been sober?

I feel the same way. I like to drink, and it's fun and it tastes good, but up until recently it was normal for me to come home and drink 2-3 beers during the week...sometimes 4. Just a lot of extra calories that I don't need plus drinking that late made it hard for me to sleep through the night, etc etc.

It's been a few weeks since I've had a night like that - work + school 4 days a week makes it hard. Which is a good thing!

We went out both Friday and Saturday and I had a good bit to drink but those were (sort of) special occasions. We don't usually go out that often. Other than that, there have been a few here and there but much reduced - and I haven't been drinking at home either.

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

That's a big woot. Congrats!

thanks. taking some major effort, lol.

Awesome! It can be such a hard thing to do, but I was in the same boat as you. Drinking was the norm, special occasions is when I didn't drink,then about 3 months ago I decided to change that. It was tough stopping, but I feel so much better now that I have. I do plan on drinking occasionally again (special dinners with the wife, visiting family, etc...) and am an avid home brewer, I tested the waters last weekend to see and I was able to keep myself to one glass of wine with dinner, but other than that I haven't drank since. (Saves a ton of money too!) Good luck, you can do this!

you are so awesome. hope you don't mind that I'm tacking this entry down for inspiration. <3

I feel the same way. I like to drink, and it's fun and it tastes good, but up until recently it was normal for me to come home and drink 2-3 beers during the week...sometimes 4. Just a lot of extra calories that I don't need plus drinking that late made it hard for me to sleep through the night, etc etc.

It's been a few weeks since I've had a night like that - work + school 4 days a week makes it hard. Which is a good thing!

We went out both Friday and Saturday and I had a good bit to drink but those were (sort of) special occasions. We don't usually go out that often. Other than that, there have been a few here and there but much reduced - and I haven't been drinking at home either.

I want to get to that point. :) good for you!

Well done!
thanks!!
I went without a drink last night which, it'd been a while for me and your post got me thinking that it was probably becoming excessive. Kudos!

::thumbs up:: glad I could help. :D good luck in your endeavours.

you are so awesome. hope you don't mind that I'm tacking this entry down for inspiration. <3

Not at all! I am glad you found it so. I have a very specific routine when I get home (OCD much...) and it always involves heading to my computer to check email before I do anything. I printed out a piece of paper with a forum post that I wrote very similar to that and taped it next to my monitor. So anytime I started thinking about having a drink, I read that and kicked the craving to the curb.

Archived