Forums are back in action! ×

LGBTQA and Ally Safe Space

I'm an ally too. Love is love, right? I don't put labels on myself or anyone else.

• Like 4

Calorie Counting/ Nutrition Tracking for a year on MyFitnessPal+Fitbit One (365 days = .27% per day, Day 74):

19.98%
19.98%

New Year's Resolution - Healthy Weight/BMI for Summer (June 1st, Get to about 130 lbs/22 BMI approx. in 152 days/21 weeks starting from 153 lbs = 4.35% per pound, currently 142):

47.85%
47.85%

Graduate Culinary School {20% per section: F.O.H. ( A ), Hot Foods ( C ), Garde Manger [Cold Foods], Bakeshop, Test}     Passed Certifications: ServSafe, Management

40%
40%

Fitbit, MyFitnessPal

Intro  Challenges: 1 2 Reset 3

and even when its not love, it's still totally fine :tongue:

more than fine.. sexy, even

• Like 2

ColoQ  ||   Level: 0
Techno Troll  ||  Assassin   
=========================
Current Challenge: 0 - V.2
Previous Challenges: ,
--------------------------------------------------
STR 0     ||   DEX 0    ||  STA 0
CON 0     ||    WIS 0    ||  CHA 0

So, I'm friends with this girl at work. I'm ace, I like friends. :D Except, she's been sending signals lately that she may want to be more than friends. Probably been sending them longer, but I'm kinda dense when it comes to that sort of thing.

Anyway, I've come to the conclusion that I need to tell her that I am asexual, and I am freaking out over the prospect. Last time I told anybody anything like that, it did not end well.

Okay. I'll be okay. I just figured you all would understand. :/

Sent using Tapatalk Owl Post.

AnnieP (respawned)

Starting over Newbie (second time's the charm)

"Never be satisfied with anything less than absolute perfection! ...said no sane person ever." -- Spark

"And my cheese monster will never be satisfied by cheddar, only the cheese of accomplishment." -- Ze Frank, An Invocation for Beginnings(NSFW)

Current Challenge: Finding Her Joy Again;  Previous Challenge: Here We Go Again

God-Loves-Gays-Billboard1.jpg

This is amazing and we need more of them!

• Like 6

Goal weight: 135 lbs (61.2 kg), Starting weight: 200 lbs (90.7 kg)

Current Weight: 196.6 lbs (89.2 kg)

5.2%
5.2%

Battle Log | Challenge

The chronicles of my journey through mental illness.

The Stories Not Told

Break the silence. Fight the stigmas. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

Level 2 Half-Elf

|STR| 4 |DEX| |STA| |CON| |WIS| |CHA| 5

So, I'm friends with this girl at work. I'm ace, I like friends. :D Except, she's been sending signals lately that she may want to be more than friends. Probably been sending them longer, but I'm kinda dense when it comes to that sort of thing.

Anyway, I've come to the conclusion that I need to tell her that I am asexual, and I am freaking out over the prospect. Last time I told anybody anything like that, it did not end well.

Okay. I'll be okay. I just figured you all would understand. :/

Aaaaaurrgh. This has happened to me several times, and resulted in epic awkwardness every freaking time--and occasionally friendship loss. I hope you manage to let her know that you're not interested in anything beyond good friendship, and that she understands and is accepting of where you stand.

Also, please tell me this isn't one of those cases where the interested party is painfully awkward and constantly drops hints that they're interested, but won't actually tell you that they're interested, leaving you with the burden of bringing up the topic :\ Because that's always...interesting.

You dont have to tell her if you dont want to. Disclosure is a privilege and all that. Can you just say "im not interested / i just want to be friends"?

That too. It's your call, though. I've never had anyone blow up at me because of asexuality, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Is this friend generally good with LGBTQ people/issues?

• Like 1

That too. It's your call, though. I've never had anyone blow up at me because of asexuality, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Is this friend generally good with LGBTQ people/issues?

Based off the picture, and profile name of AnnieP, I assumed the OP was female, or presented female.  and the good friend making a pass at OP was referred to as a "her."  I inferred the friend to be lesbian/bi/pan.

So.. ... Maybe?!

• Like 1

ColoQ  ||   Level: 0
Techno Troll  ||  Assassin   
=========================
Current Challenge: 0 - V.2
Previous Challenges: ,
STR 0     ||   DEX 0    ||  STA 0
CON 0     ||    WIS 0    ||  CHA 0

Yes, she's a lesbian. And, unfortunately it is just hints, which is why it took me so long to figure it out.

*sigh* And then there's this little voice in the back of my head that says What if I'm misreading things? I think I am just going to tell her, and see where the conversation goes from there. I'm mostly having a problem because I haven't actually said the words, "I'm asexual" to anyone before. I think she'll be cool with it, if a bit disappointed. The worst thing that could happen is she tells everyone at work. That would be... awkward. But not the end of the world, I guess. The company I work for has very strict anti-discrimination rules, so no worries there. Not that I have ever heard of discrimination against asexuals, anyway.

AnnieP (respawned)

Starting over Newbie (second time's the charm)

"Never be satisfied with anything less than absolute perfection! ...said no sane person ever." -- Spark

"And my cheese monster will never be satisfied by cheddar, only the cheese of accomplishment." -- Ze Frank, An Invocation for Beginnings(NSFW)

Current Challenge: Finding Her Joy Again;  Previous Challenge: Here We Go Again

Discrimination against asexuals is uncommon, largely because it's difficult to discriminate someone over something they *don't* do. There are doubtless plenty of people at work living lives of unspoken celibacy, and not necessarily by choice. The unspoken assumption may simply be that you haven't found the right person yet.

If you're worried she won't take honest rejection well, you could suggest that you're seeing someone else. But if she can't handle you for who you are, that's not a friendship that's going to work well. Personally, I'd take the risk and tell her.

• Like 4

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

*sidles into thread*

*waves*

Hey, folks.  Mind if I join in the conversation?  Amateur neutrois mostly-androsexual DFAM here.  I kind of had the epiphany about a week and a half ago and I'm still trying to figure everything out, so I was hoping to chill out around here and hopefully I can figure out how to figure stuff out a little faster/more smoothly or something like that.

AnnieP - I hope it all goes well for you!  As Hitlionsoul said - would you be able to just say "Sorry, not interested" without giving a reason?  Though if you'd prefer to go the route of giving the reason, that's cool, too - whatever you feel most comfortable with.  Good luck, either way!

• Like 2

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

Well, if I identify as gender neutral, then the terms 'hetero' or 'homo'sexual kind of aren't very descriptive (or ... does a gender-neutral heterosexual person find themselves attracted to variable genderqueer folks?.... stuff like that).  So, androsexual = guys, gynosexual = girls; defined by the person being attractive, rather than attracted.

I'm probably making things unnecessarily complicated, though

• Like 2

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

So, androsexual = guys, gynosexual = girls; defined by the person being attractive, rather than attracted.

Ooo i like this! Thanks for explaining :) that def makes more sense - basing it on the person you find attractive and not yourself - tho i wonder what the genderqueer equivalent would be for it.

Amazon - can you talk to these people and maybe share your experiences? If they can be out at work then so can you right?

It's the moose on the inside that counts.

I wish more people could learn to accept that others are different without judging.

Amazon, do you think you could gauge others' reactions to them enough to ease the fear a little if they are well accepted?

As a side note, I'm starting to wonder if I am more a-gender than cis-gender. I don't really identify with being a woman but don't want to be a man either. I haven't figured out yet if that's just me rejecting what society says a woman should be though. I imagine it will be a while before I figure it out if I do at all. For so long in my life gender just meant what body I have as far as I knew and it's hard to separate that.

Goal weight: 135 lbs (61.2 kg), Starting weight: 200 lbs (90.7 kg)

Current Weight: 196.6 lbs (89.2 kg)

5.2%
5.2%

Battle Log | Challenge

The chronicles of my journey through mental illness.

The Stories Not Told

Break the silence. Fight the stigmas. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

Level 2 Half-Elf

|STR| 4 |DEX| |STA| |CON| |WIS| |CHA| 5

As a side note, I'm starting to wonder if I am more a-gender than cis-gender. I don't really identify with being a woman but don't want to be a man either. I haven't figured out yet if that's just me rejecting what society says a woman should be though. I imagine it will be a while before I figure it out if I do at all. For so long in my life gender just meant what body I have as far as I knew and it's hard to separate that.

Huh, and I was starting to worry there wasn't anyone else one who felt this way. I completely understand the feeling of not really identifying as any gender and I probably wouldn't care if my meat-suit was biologically male or female.