Forums are back in action! ×

Easing into paleo?

BeigeTurtle

So I've been doing a lot of reading here and elsewhere recently, and unfortunately, I've come to the sad conclusion that my diet is probably my single biggest problem. Now, I don't know that I want to go full paleo; I've been trying to eat less meat for both environmental as well as animal rights concerns. And I have a family history of osteoporosis, so I'm hesitant about cutting out dairy entirely.

But I do want to move in a more paleo-ish direction. I'm already cutting back on bread, and I'm going to cut back on grain-laden snacks (bye bye, delicious oat and chocolate bars from the vending machine at work!). Are there other small changes I could make? What are some good paleo snacks or substitutions for other foods? I'm 5'7" and I weigh 128 pounds - but while I look relatively slender, my body composition sucks, and I really want to change that. Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Well, if you're worried about getting calcium, almond milk is a fine substitute for the dairy version. The Blue Diamond brand, in particular, gives you about 45% of your daily totals per serving. Though, I'm sure that some of the more militantly paleo folk would argue that total calcium intake is less important than the amount that your body utilizes, and eating more nuts gives you more of the nutrients that allow you to utilize more calcium.

Theoretically, it's possible to do more with less. But I'm a martial artist, and my bones are very important to what I do, so I'm pretty paranoid there myself.

Another good snack would be apples and almond butter - lots of good calories and filling to boot.

I don't think dairy when I think calcium. I think about throwing chicken skeletons into the crock pot and how fragile they are after 24 hours, and how most of the calcium must be dissolved. (I render the skin and bones together, it seems like a pita to do anything with the leftover solids. The fat gets skimmed and re-rendered and keeps us from needing so much butter or vegetable oils.) Talk to your butcher about by-products like organs, I'm sure that there is some environmental factor in finding a way to eat to bones and bits that other people prefer to throw away.

Look to see what vegetables have calcium. Broccoli and the cabbage family comes to mind as possible sources. Vegans argue that cows get their calcium without relying on lesser creatures, but cows can actually eat all day long and digest grass properly.

I hear that chocolate itself is fine. Like, find the bars that advertise that they are at least 80% dark chocolate and see how long you can nibble on it.

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

I've read a fair bit online (including on this site), and I've talked to a good friend who's paleo. Loren Wade, I agree, I think this is going to be a process of experimentation for me, and I think it's going to take some time. There are some things about paleo I like and some I don't, so I think this process is also going to be about what I do or don't choose to incorporate into my own diet.

I was a vegetarian for a good long while during college when I couldn't control where I got my meat from, so I totally understand where you're coming from there. If you can get farm fresh meats, it's really fantastic and the meat really does taste better and treat your body better. I'm a HUGE fan of bone broth just like Kelekona mentioned, I throw bones from the butcher into the crock pot for a day and a half and then just use it in place of traditional broths in your cooking.

I'm a big fan of spaghetti squash when you just have to have something pasta-y. I'm not going to go so far as to say that it is totally a perfect fake out, but when you're eating a pasta dish it's really about the sauce, so it doesn't really matter what's under it IMHO. I also love quick grilled zucchini on the side of everything, especially during high grilling season.

Personally, I don't follow all the paleo rules all the time either. I still eat legumes a couple times a week and I use whey powder in my morning smoothie to boost my protein numbers since I'm trying to build muscle. Listen to what your body tells you, and see how adding or subtracting affects your goals and you can find that perfect balance. :)

No matter how slow you're going, you're still lapping everyone on the couch.

Hobbit Adventurer
STR - 4 DEX - 3 STA - 4 CON - 5.25 WIS - 5 CHA - 6.5

Archived