Forums are back in action! ×

Ankle pain when running

Barmacral

This isn't an issue I have, but one that my girlfriend has. We've been doing couch to 5k and are near the end of it, but now that we're running straight through with no breaks she finds about 15-20 minutes in that her ankle starts to become very painful to run on. We took two weeks off of running to let her ankle rest, and the first time back to running after that she got the pain in both ankles instead of just one. We understand that pushing through the pain is generally a bad idea, but we don't want to be limited to when her ankles start to hurt, especially since we've got a 5k race coming up at the end of the month. We're looking for suggestions of things to try to help her get past the pain, if anyone has any?

This too, shall pass.

No helpful suggestions, but I'll be watching this thread as I suffer from the same issue.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that leads to total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -Frank Herbert, Dune

Her problem sounds like one I've had for a while. I've got an appointment next week about it, but the initial thought is tarsal tunnel. Wearing good hiking boots with ankle support helped relieve my pain for walking, but she should get looked at before the race.

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

What kind of pain? Dull or sharp, throbby, stabby?

What kind of shoes and how old are they? Are you running landing on your heels, the balls of your feet or in the middle?

If it's dull, building pain and you're fairly heavy, that's just joint battering. Shorter runs more often, and losing weight, both help.

I have a similar issue -- my ankle hurts BEFORE and AFTER (dull annoying pain, causes a slight limp) a run but never during. I took a long break from running and I ran more than I probably should have to start out. I currently only run less than 15 minutes at a time and I have at least a day off. I wear vibrams or NB Minimus for my entire workout (weights and running). I read somewhere that jumping rope on a fitness mat (moon bounce style) will help build your ankles -- I do this, also jumping jacks and kettle bell swings on a 3 in thick mat. My ankle still lets me know that I ran (hurts some) but it is so much less since I started the "unstable footing" exercises. I would suggest trying this after she gets checked out, also it may be a possibility for ANYONE with a history or ankle issues to incorporate into their workouts.

Try strengthening ur ankle. Heel raises on steps do them single leg if u can. Calf raises w/ weights is what i do now. Or walk backwards on a steep incline on ur toes at 1.2 or so.

My ankles are destroyed(close to surgery) and after i worked on them the pain has gone away. Additionally im a 5 fingers fan and have noticed an enormous change since wearing them. Really examine the care of your feet.

Def go to a dr. Good luck

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

You train to look good. I train to kick your ...

If you still look pretty afterwords, you didn't do it right.

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up. Babe Ruth

What kind of pain? Dull or sharp, throbby, stabby?

What kind of shoes and how old are they? Are you running landing on your heels, the balls of your feet or in the middle?

If it's dull, building pain and you're fairly heavy, that's just joint battering. Shorter runs more often, and losing weight, both help.

Regarding the pain - I'll let you know after the run tonight, it has been a few days and she wasn't able to describe it to me when I asked. The shoes are just regular running shoes, they are maybe two years old but were almost never used before this summer, so almost new.

She'll check to see how she lands tonight. She's very small and light, so I dunno about joint battering, though it is possible.

This too, shall pass.

Tell her to go get checked out by a doctor.

I'm not saying its the same problem, but I had sharp shooting pain a few years ago - and it turns our I had caused multiple hairline fractures (I fortunately avoided getting a cast - just - but was told to rest up for 2+ months). Actually thinking back on it now I had one or two of my runs that I actually had to get someone to come pick me up I was in so much pain and couldn't even walk. I hope for her sake its not that.

I'm not sure what to tell you/her to "get past the pain", but good luck with your race - the both of you! (fingers crossed)

Level 3 - Platypus Ranger
STR: 3 | DEX: 5 | STA: 3.5 | CON: 5.5 | WIS: 9 | CHA: 3

Fitocracy | Fitbit | Daily Challenge | My Fitness Pal | RunKeeper

Archived