Forums are back in action! ×

The Cost of Obesity in America

Nocturnis

Just wait for the young people that are obese to start developing the same health problems as the older obese folk. I only see that cost go up, unfortunately.

This. Americans want a president who can fix everything. Jobs, healthcare, education. A president can only make guidelines. He can fix the outliers, but the mean problems are up to the people. There's a reason Obama ran on the slogan "Yes WE can", not "Yes I can".

Neutral Good-High Elf Warrior

What we move is far less important than what moves us.

Razor's Three-Fortnight Challenge

Just wait for the young people that are obese to start developing the same health problems as the older obese folk. I only see that cost go up, unfortunately.

This. Americans want a president who can fix everything. Jobs, healthcare, education. A president can only make guidelines. He can fix the outliers, but the mean problems are up to the people. There's a reason Obama ran on the slogan "Yes WE can", not "Yes I can".

Neutral Good-High Elf Warrior

What we move is far less important than what moves us.

Razor's Three-Fortnight Challenge

The U.S. health care reform law of 2010 allows employers to charge obese workers 30 percent to 50 percent more for health insurance if they decline to participate in a qualified wellness program.

Huh. I didn't know that. Cool.

I've always thought that the #1 way to attack obesity is through health insurance. Charge the obese more while at the same time providing a huge amount of various options for help (ex - nutritionist and personal trainer visits being free or a very low copay away, insurance sponsored health/fitness clubs with a lot of options being as available to people as low cost prescription drugs). For many/most people a lack of motivation is the primary culprit, nothing motivates quite like money.

It would be hard to make a case that any single political figure has done more to help curtail and bring awareness to the childhood obesity problem than the First Lady. Say what you will about other aspects of this administration, this is one place where they are really working hard and making a lot of positive changes (starting with throwing out the food pyramid).

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

I've always thought that the #1 way to attack obesity is through health insurance. Charge the obese more while at the same time providing a huge amount of various options for help (ex - nutritionist and personal trainer visits being free or a very low copay away, insurance sponsored health/fitness clubs with a lot of options being as available to people as low cost prescription drugs). For many/most people a lack of motivation is the primary culprit, nothing motivates quite like money.

This. I have fantastic health care through work, and am very greatful for it. The thing that helps more than anything though is the discount I get for my gym membership. I go to NYHRC, which is like $150 a month. After corporate discount and their annual refund for gym, it's only about $13 for me. Makes a HUGE difference.

IDDQD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Current Challenge

Race: MALIETOA

Class: WARRIOR

STR: 4 | DEX: 1 | STA: 1 | CON: 3 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 4

This. I have fantastic health care through work, and am very greatful for it. The thing that helps more than anything though is the discount I get for my gym membership. I go to NYHRC, which is like $150 a month. After corporate discount and their annual refund for gym, it's only about $13 for me. Makes a HUGE difference.

Mmm, envious. And I do have really good health insurance overall. We can get small discounts to already discount chains, but that is about it. A slight help for single adults, not so much for families. Being able to go to a place like the Y for free or very low cost, where there are programs for kids and childcare, in addition to a lot of classes for adults, would be a total game changer I think for a lot of people.

currently cutting

don't panic!

Mmm, envious. And I do have really good health insurance overall. We can get small discounts to already discount chains, but that is about it. A slight help for single adults, not so much for families. Being able to go to a place like the Y for free or very low cost, where there are programs for kids and childcare, in addition to a lot of classes for adults, would be a total game changer I think for a lot of people.

$500 annual rebate on gym membership fees. I don't know a single person at my office that doesn't have a membership. It's silly not to since the money is blown if you don't use it. If I were to get a membership at a cheaper place like planet fitness or something, it would be completely free (and I could get some personal training sessions and/or other addons for free). Fantastic program and I think more companies should do it.

IDDQD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Current Challenge

That article makes me angry. And I can't stand how 'accommodations' are being made for people who are 400+ lbs. It's called "enabling" and it's not going to solve anything.

Making things use by the general public accessible to heavy folks isn't enabling. Though it won't solve the problem it is a necessity given the current state of affairs. Just because being fat isn't healthy doesn't mean that hospital toilets should collapse under the patient, etc.

IDDQD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Current Challenge

Making things use by the general public accessible to heavy folks isn't enabling. Though it won't solve the problem it is a necessity given the current state of affairs. Just because being fat isn't healthy doesn't mean that hospital toilets should collapse under the patient, etc.

Agreed. I don't think you do anything to tackle obesity by embarassing obese people over normal bodily functions. How would you feel if you sat on a loo and it collapsed under you or you couldn't use the bathroom in a public place for fear of breaking it? All that achieves is damaged self-esteem for people who, in the most part, probably have very low self-esteem to begin with

I see your point. I think what upsets me is that we've come to that point in our society where it needs to happen.

"If you die, you die. A man must constantly exceed his level." - Bruce Lee

I understand how infuriating that is, but being unable to function in everyday life might depress these people even more, I doubt it would motivate them to lose weight.

I know if all clothes were too small for me when I started working out and losing weight, well, I wouldn't have started working out and losing weight. I would have stayed at home and cried. Possibly starved myself to fit in clothes again, at best. When starving yourself is the best you would have done... not good.

I do think it sucks that people are getting so overweight that basic things need to be changed to account for them. I can't imagine that most of these people are happy with their lives, and I wish I could personally take each one of them aside and help them out. But, yeah...

Speaking of enabling... getting a bit off-topic, but how do you deal with someone who says they want to lose weight, who is incredibly overweight, and who you see constantly eating crap food (like 5K calories of junk food a day, minimum)... And who during "diets" thinks buying, say, a few gallons of frozen yogurt instead of a few gallons of ice-cream is being healthy?

I'm also feeling like I'm really letting her down by not grabbing her wrists and yelling "What the hell are you doing?" What am I supposed to do? You can't police someone 24/7, they need to want it, I know that... but if they're too weak, do you have an obligation to help them fight their addiction by putting your foot down? If they're about to yield to a craving and go by ice-cream, would hiding their car keys ever be appropriate? Or is it wrong to butt in that way?

There is such a fine line between leaving people alone with their lives and choices, and helping someone you care about who is struggling, asked for your help/support, but is hating you right now for giving it.

Wow...if I read those figures right, 74% of Americans are overweight, obese, or morbidly obese.

Watch out America! Australia is gaining on you! 67% of adult males are overweight or obese, and 55% of adult women. (Overall average of 61%). http://www.health.gov.au/internet/healthyactive/publishing.nsf/Content/overweight-obesity

With those statistics though, keep in mind the only definition used for being overweight or obese is BMI, which is woefully inaccurate. Lots of people with decent amounts of muscle mass end up in the overweight category. In fact, half of the NFL is probably obese from a BMI standpoint.

I'm not wanting to downplay the problem, just pointing out that the statistics are inaccurate (as most tend to be, if they aren't made up outright). Obesity is a major issue, and one that isn't going away soon.

I'm also feeling like I'm really letting her down by not grabbing her wrists and yelling "What the hell are you doing?" What am I supposed to do? You can't police someone 24/7, they need to want it, I know that... but if they're too weak, do you have an obligation to help them fight their addiction by putting your foot down? If they're about to yield to a craving and go by ice-cream, would hiding their car keys ever be appropriate? Or is it wrong to butt in that way?

There is such a fine line between leaving people alone with their lives and choices, and helping someone you care about who is struggling, asked for your help/support, but is hating you right now for giving it.

Guess it depends on the person you want to help. I'm sure some will appreciate you doing some 'extensive' helping, some others will only hate you for it.

However i'm currently reading a book 'Social engineering - the art of human hacking' which suggests that you have to try to 'manipulate' people so they reach 'their' goal which is actually more 'your' goal. And thats (according to the book) best done by trying to deeply understand your friend, trying to get what she thinks when buy that joghurt and then trying to give her new ideas and slowly improving on those ideas.

Basicly i think switching from icecream to joghurt is an improvement. How about showing her that its a first step in the right direction? But also trying to keep giving her new ideas, guess we both know that it will take several of such small steps to really get healthy. If you are willing to see the world her way i'm sure you will find some new steps doable for her :)

Level 2   Human   Ranger

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------STR 7.7  CON 4.8  Battle Log  We are Rangers.DEX 2.0  WIS 2.9               We walk in the dark places no others will enter.STA 4.9  CHA 3.3               We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.

With those statistics though, keep in mind the only definition used for being overweight or obese is BMI, which is woefully inaccurate. Lots of people with decent amounts of muscle mass end up in the overweight category. In fact, half of the NFL is probably obese from a BMI standpoint.

I'm not wanting to downplay the problem, just pointing out that the statistics are inaccurate (as most tend to be, if they aren't made up outright). Obesity is a major issue, and one that isn't going away soon.

As an aside, Spezzy mentioned that at 18% BF and a size 2 her BMI is 26 which is technically obese.....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Elven Ranger

STR - 7.2 Dex - 2 Sta - 7 Con - 4 Wis - 3 CHA - 4

"Do or Do Not. There is no try."

"Why do we fall sir? So we might learn to pick ourselves up ."

Round 2 - Faster, Stronger, Leaner and more Pious?

Lefeux's Ranger Conquest

Workout Log

I think that perhaps therapy should be an affordable option for the obese. Perhaps some sort of in-patient for the cases that would otherwise go in to have their stomachs altered.

Of course, when they are talking the difference between 125 pounds and 175 pounds, I'm wondering if short people really make up that much of the population.

I ran some numbers from the only time I managed to dip below the overweight category. I was burning about 1700 calories a day in walking, and thanks to constant heat stroke and dehydration, probably not managing to get more than 600 calories during each of the two meals I did take. (I can't remember what I was eating at the time, I'm just guessing that my stomach volume hasn't changed that much.) Changed jobs to nocturnal 10-hours shift and sedentary, still not a healthy appetite, maybe getting 1500 calories a day, gained 20 pounds in 3 months.

If the rest of the obese are stuck in as much of a Red Queen's race, it's a daunting task to get them on a path that works, and I imagine that only those already on disability have that amount of time.

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

In won't talk about the politics but it is very sad working with morbidly obese people. If you help one in your career as a trainer it is a high point. We will lose many more than we help. I always suggest psychological help to compliment training no one get's to be 400 lbs with out some issue.

I also think the chemicals in our food supply and pollution affect this there is some good research to back this up.

My BF% on the high now is 16% my BMI is 30 that is very obese, I am 178Cm(5'10) and 95kg(212lbs)

Race: Mul (Dark Sun, AD&D)

Profession: Battle Monk

Level:1

Str/4 Dex/3 Con/4 Wis/2 Cha/2

As an aside, Spezzy mentioned that at 18% BF and a size 2 her BMI is 26 which is technically obese.....

Nitpick, 26 isn't obese. 25-30 is overweight, 30-35 is obese, 35+ is morbidly obese (higher number not included in the range, lower number included). By BMI standards, it only makes her slightly overweight, not obese.

EDIT: oh, and thanks for the advice. My plan of action was to have a healthy diet and active lifestyle and hope to be an influence (we'll be living together for a few months). My boyfriend started eating healthier and counting calories after I had been doing it for a few months, so who knows, maybe it will work for other people, too.

Unfortunately, I worry just as much about the way things are going here in the UK. Here, the NHS (nationalised health service) means that everyone who pays tax bears the brunt of rising costs of obesity. Every single public service, including healthcare, is funded by our taxes. With all the other rising costs of living and shrinking "take-home pay", obesity is going to affect every single person tax-paying person in the country. It makes me angry. Of course I should be healthy for myself, but when the cost isn't inflicted directly on those responsible for rising obesity costs, it seems to encourage the attitude in many that it isn't their problem because the government pays to look after their health anyway. There doesn't seem to be much of a notion of personal responsibility.

It is sad that this is the state of the developed world. :(

Half?

The only players that aren't are QB's, DB's, and WR's (though a few SS's would have a BMI > 30). Some RB's are, some aren't, as are some TE's.

Though pretty much every player in the NFL is overweight by bmi, including thin DB's and WR's.

Waist measurements are a good secondary backup method for ruling out fit muscular types whom otherwise might sneak into the overweight category.

Sneak? I think that you are overestimating the amount of muscle mass needed to get into the overweight category. It isn't very high at all.

I'm not overly muscular, yet at ~11% BF I have a BMI of 26.4 and am considered well into the overweight category.

currently cutting

don't panic!

Unfortunately, I worry just as much about the way things are going here in the UK. Here, the NHS (nationalised health service) means that everyone who pays tax bears the brunt of rising costs of obesity. Every single public service, including healthcare, is funded by our taxes. With all the other rising costs of living and shrinking "take-home pay", obesity is going to affect every single person tax-paying person in the country. It makes me angry. Of course I should be healthy for myself, but when the cost isn't inflicted directly on those responsible for rising obesity costs, it seems to encourage the attitude in many that it isn't their problem because the government pays to look after their health anyway. There doesn't seem to be much of a notion of personal responsibility.

It is sad that this is the state of the developed world. :(

Although I get what you're saying, and obesity is far and away a MASSIVE expense, particularly with health care, there's a lot more to it than that. Do you drink or smoke? Everyone pays for that. Do you drive (hopefully not at the same time as drinking)? Everyone pays. While you can claim that the cost of obesity is greater on society than the costs of any risks you might incur in your life, I think it's important to acknowledge that the issue you're complaining about is one of the fundamental qualities of the whole system. If you want to penalize obese people for the cost to society, when then not penalize anyone who does ANYTHING?

IDDQD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Current Challenge

Oh, if ONLY being fat was the only way humans voluntarily destroy their bodies. But it isn't. And the root cause, I believe, is similar for most of them.

Let's face it, humanity as a whole is self-destructive in general. Whether your vice is food, alcohol, cigs, hard drugs, extreme sports, etc, chances are your lifestyle will be what kills you one day.

I mean, it sounds all fine and dandy to consider JUST the health costs of obesity, but many of the actions I described above are probably contributing just as much to the cost of health care overall. There's very little motivation to fix anything either, on an individual level, as modern health care will *take care of you* so to speak. Weigh too much? Gastric bypass. Lung cancer? Just get a new one! Fiending a hit? No worries, the state has clean needles and a psychiatrist standing by to help you out.

As I said, it's a problem of human nature. And unless we find a way to evolve out of it or just finally solve everything with pills, stem cells and surgery, it ain't gon' stop.

Aj out.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Although I get what you're saying, and obesity is far and away a MASSIVE expense, particularly with health care, there's a lot more to it than that. Do you drink or smoke? Everyone pays for that. Do you drive (hopefully not at the same time as drinking)? Everyone pays. While you can claim that the cost of obesity is greater on society than the costs of any risks you might incur in your life, I think it's important to acknowledge that the issue you're complaining about is one of the fundamental qualities of the whole system. If you want to penalize obese people for the cost to society, when then not penalize anyone who does ANYTHING?

I see what you're saying and I maybe didn't explain myself well enough. It's not that I don't think those who are obese, alcoholic or suffering from cancer due to smoking don't deserve the very best treatment. I was just meaning to say I could commiserate with those suffering from escalating health care costs that are rising due to the cost of obesity-related diseases, medication and treatment on society, and to say that it's not much better in the UK, that's all. There are a lot of government initiatives to advertise healthy eating and exercise to the community, but a lot of people (formerly, myself included), find it easy to say "Nothing to do with me". It's only when there's a cost directly effecting you as a result of your obesity or whatever, people can be encouraged to change.

I think it's great that in the US, some of your healthcare programmes or employers offer you discounts on gym memberships and other things that help you improve your fitness. I think it's something that definitely needs to be encouraged more in the UK. It's only just starting to happen now, where those who are very overweight/obese can get 12 weeks free membership to Weight Watchers, but that's the only programme I'm aware of (in Scotland at any rate) where there is direct encouragement and support for people to change their lives. Maybe if we had to have annual physicals, that'd change.

Archived