Forums are back in action! ×

Hi, I'm Donna, and I'm not new to fitness, but am new to this site. I have 2 kids, ages 4 and 2, and about a year after my son was born I decided it was time to get back in shape. I did Weight Watchers and went from 155 pounds to 125 pounds. I didn't really exercise, and my weight fluctuated for about a year from between 120-130. I kept having to go back to Weight Watchers to stop gaining weight. Around December of last year I decided I needed to start exercising to make the changes stick, so I did some aerobics classes, I tried out Zumba (it was embarassing!), and I couldn't find what I enjoyed. Then in June I tried the couch to 5k program, and I fell in love with running. It feels strange to me that I didn't realize until age 36 that I am a runner. But there it is. I have run 2 5k races so far (my PR is 28:47), with my third scheduled for this weekend. I have a 10k coming up in October, and a plan to train for a half marathon in April of 2013.

I love to run, but I also want to be strong. I did p90x for a month in the middle of the summer, and I felt much stronger after that. But, the tapes are very long and it's difficult to do with children in the house. I found this web site in the summer, and saw the post about the Angry Birds workout. I don't play computer games very often, but this is one that I used to play all the time. So I started that workout a few weeks ago and have worked my way up to Level 3 in squats and push-ups, and Level 2 in back and planks. It was a real revelation to me that the goal of weight lifting is to always improve. I know that's the goal in running, but I hadn't though of it for weight training. I thought you just found your fitness level and tried to maintain it.

I am happy with my weight (I'm 5'4 and 123 right now), and was more focused on eating protein and trying to become leaner over the summer. I went into the gym earlier this summer and had my body fat percentage tested. They told me it was 26%. I know there is a margin of error with those measurements, but I thought that seemed high and I wanted to bring it down. Well, yesterday I went in and had it checked again and they told me it was 16! That's probably a bit on the low end, but it was partly a reality check that they are just numbers and that I need to focus more on how I feel and look. My current fitness goals involve being able to do a pull-up, increasing my distance running, and maintaining my fitness levels.

And I have no idea when it comes to choosing a "race" or a character. I'm assuming I'm either a Scout or a Ranger? Any help in that area is appreciated! Challenges that you set yourself and use to measure accomplishments sound very motivating.

Level 4 Human RangerSTR 10 | DEX 10.4 | STA 10.4 | CON 6.9 | WIS 9.5 | CHA 5.9

I think youre well on your way to achieving your goals. I wouldnt stress too much about the race or the character. I dont think youre that ready to jump into the nerd world :P just kidding! Its just an avatar or different persona people like to take on when they are on forums or in games. Just gives them a different outlet to express themself. You could be a human scout or human ranger! maybe even an assassin! Just have to look into what their training consists of and goes from there. Congratulations on lowering you weight and bf%!

Wandering WarriorLevel 4- STR: 7.5 | DEX: 1 | CON: 7 | STA: 7.5 | WIS: 10 | CHA: 4.25"Your future is created by what you do TODAY, not tomorrow"

Battle Log | Fitocracy

Lifting Goals: Squats - 545 | Bench - 410 | Deads - 585 

Welcome! I identified with a lot of things you said, so I thought I'd say hello. Had to laugh a bit about doing P90X with little kids around - I know first hand what a challenge that is! Great job on your successes so far.

What you choose as your race is bounded only by your own preferences and creativity. Class is better defined, but you can hang out wherever you want. It only really seems to matter for the 6 week challenges, since you can only participate in one guild's mini challenges for the 6 weeks. Beyond that, there's nothing stopping you from visiting and/or stalking whoever you want in any class guild. The rangers seem to have a, "If you think you might be, you probably are," philosophy, and I doubt the scouts would kick you out for overlapping a bit with another class. I started in adventurer to observe for a challenge round before I decided, and picked ranger because it seems most appropriate for someone with the attention span of a hyperactive squirrel (they're a mixed bag).

Absidey

LEVEL12

STR11 DEX13 STA20

CON29 WIS17 CHA11

Fear is the mind-killer.

Main Goal: Lose 20 Hip/Waist inches

95%
95%

Current Challenge

Thanks! You are right, I am not enough of a nerd! :) I started reading about the races and got even more confused and came to the same conclusion that you did--I need to be a human.

I think youre well on your way to achieving your goals. I wouldnt stress too much about the race or the character. I dont think youre that ready to jump into the nerd world :P just kidding! Its just an avatar or different persona people like to take on when they are on forums or in games. Just gives them a different outlet to express themself. You could be a human scout or human ranger! maybe even an assassin! Just have to look into what their training consists of and goes from there. Congratulations on lowering you weight and bf%!

Thank you! I was leaning towards the Rangers myself, because aside from running I do have a hard time sticking with one thing. And that doesn't only apply to fitness routines! I'm excited that I signed up just as a new challenge is about to start; I am already putting together my goals.

Welcome! I identified with a lot of things you said, so I thought I'd say hello. Had to laugh a bit about doing P90X with little kids around - I know first hand what a challenge that is! Great job on your successes so far.

What you choose as your race is bounded only by your own preferences and creativity. Class is better defined, but you can hang out wherever you want. It only really seems to matter for the 6 week challenges, since you can only participate in one guild's mini challenges for the 6 weeks. Beyond that, there's nothing stopping you from visiting and/or stalking whoever you want in any class guild. The rangers seem to have a, "If you think you might be, you probably are," philosophy, and I doubt the scouts would kick you out for overlapping a bit with another class. I started in adventurer to observe for a challenge round before I decided, and picked ranger because it seems most appropriate for someone with the attention span of a hyperactive squirrel (they're a mixed bag).

Doing some new stuff every now and then keeps it interesting, fun and challenging.

When looking at the races I got confused as well and decided to go for human. We are just not nerdy enough.

The nerdiest thing that I like (I guess?) is futuristic dystopian sci fi. Everyone in those scenarios is usually human!

Archived