Forums are back in action! ×

The Official Nerd Fitness Book Club-beginnings

CalvinHobbes

Hello everyone!

"Official" is in "quotations" because I'm not sure if I have the power to consider something on Nerd Fitness official. Moderators, if I have over stepped any boundaries please delete this thread.

Any who....let's start a book club!!!

I'm a part of many (read: 3) online book clubs, where monthly we choose a book and read it together, so I have some ideas as to how this can work. My idea, combining it from the others, is that whoever would like to participate would nominate a book (or second a book) in the general thread for each month over a span of a week. At the end of the week, the moderator (me if that's okay!) would post a poll and we could vote on the books. Whichever wins would be the "book of the month," then we would proceed to discuss said book.

I'm wondering--would people rather do one book per challenge, in order to keep consistent across the forums, or one per month? Either way works for me. Also, we could incorporate both fitness books and non-fitness books into our reads/side reads/discussions.

So, discuss your ideas for it!

Side note: I'm really excited for this. I just giggled.

I like this idea! I'll definitely be in. I think just for consistency, and the fact that some people may have lives (or other stuff they want to read), that we set it to one book every challenge.

Since you say fitness or non-fitness related books, I have 2 suggestions:

Solitary Fitness by Charles Bronson - I have it, just haven't made it past page 5 yet. I have too much stuff that I want to read.

Alice's Adventurers in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There by Lewis Carroll - This is just sitting on my shelf and is asking for another reread.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

"Official" is in "quotations" because I'm not sure if I have the power to consider something on Nerd Fitness official. Moderators, if I have over stepped any boundaries please delete this thread.

Fix'd the title. I have deemed it official and so it is :D

You are more than welcome to post polls etc CH. Lovin this thread. I think sticking to the 6 week format would be good. That way the break week can be used to nominate and select the next book. And also, some of us are slow readers :)

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Squeee!!!! I love it! Major high-five, CH! Seriously, how has this not happened yet?! So, I'm in.

I second the one book per challenge though wouldn't mind keeping the option open to change it per month if the majority of the group finds 6 weeks too long, etc, blah, blah. But I think one per challenge will be good (for me, too).

I'll come back with book recommendations when I'm caffeinated.

!!!!!!

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Wooo! definitely excited about this one!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LVL 2 MartianWarrior

STR 9/DEX 2/ STAM 3.75/ CON 3/ WIS 6/ CHA 3

"Fads come and go, but the barbell remains the same. Respect it accordingly." - Jim Wendler

"When I want to be a super hero, I just wake up" - Childish Gambino

i'm in! i'll think of a few ideas to shoot out.

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Well maybe let's start by narrowing this down a bit. Are we thinking fiction/nonfiction, classic/contemporary, young adult/adult? Or any/all of the above?

My idea: any to start. If we get a big following, then maybe we can divide it up a bit more. I personally read anything and everything!

My nomination: A Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling!

Best. Idea. Ever.

I nominate The Wheel of Time series!:eek: all 14 books lol. But seriously...how about House of Leaves. Or Game of Thrones...then we can do the whole series a challenge at a time...and when we are done...maybe the next book will be out...lol

All your base are belong to us...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

JakSavage

Level 2 Half-Dragon Ranger

STR:6 DEX:5 STA:5 CON:3 WIS:4 CHA:3

All your specs are belong to us!

I'm in, Here are some I'd nominate:

Anything by Craig Childs Particularly his latest due out Oct 2 Apocalyptic Planet

Tomatoland: How Modern Industrial Agriculture Destroyed Our Most Alluring Fruit

Tomorrow's Table:Organic Farming, Genetics, and the Future of Food

The Millionaire Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of America's Wealthy

Anything by Pratchett

Harry Potter

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

Well, I'm currently reading (read: just started) Crime and Punishment, so I'll nominate that. Otherwise, The Cat Who Walks Through Walls--Robert Heinlein. In Defense of Food- Michael Pollan (purely selfish here. I couldn't get into it but started like.. years ago)

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Count me in! My suggestion is 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. Description here: http://www.amazon.com/1Q84-ebook/dp/B004LROUW2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1348173660&sr=8-2&keywords=1q84

I've wanted to read this although I have heard it can be abit heavy.

My nomination: A Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling!

I've already pre ordered this so I'd be up for that one :)

Level 1 Adventurer

[sTR-1][DEX-2][sTA-2][CON-4][WIS-3][CHA-3]

Archived