Forums are back in action! ×

The Official Nerd Fitness Book Club-beginnings

CalvinHobbes

Just looking at these last few posts I'd second American Gods, Good Omens, Ender's Game, Brave New World, and The Hobbit. Though I'd lean towards Brave New World and The Hobbit because I read the first three recently and have read Ender's Game at least half a dozen times.

And Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman is a good one.

I'll have more when I get home and look at my "bookshelf o' things I've been meaning to read"

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

Definitely IN! WHAT a great idea!!!

Count me in! My suggestion is 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. Description here: http://www.amazon.com/1Q84-ebook/dp/B004LROUW2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1348173660&sr=8-2&keywords=1q84

Yes please I want to read this one since last week. :)

Human Adventurer
First completed challenge| my paleo experience
Never underestimate the power of Momentum.
Believe in action. Not in the consequence of it.

Just wanted to say the poll is up. Link is below:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?18130-Vote-for-the-group-read!-Sept-17-Nov-5!

Oh, and thanks CalvinHobbes for setting this up!

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

Was anything ever decided? Because BOOKS

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami

There was another thread that held the vote. Apocalyptic Planet came in second, but I believe that was because it is pre-order only.

Level 1 Woodwose

Awesome! I kind of figured that, but the voting page looked scattered :) This fits in nicely with my 'read one book every week for a whole year' self-challenge. This one will be for one of my weeks during the challenge!

Race: Gallifreyan

Profession: Druid

Level: 6

Current Challenge:Livingroovy Comes Home

[sTR] - 16.8 // [DEX] - 12.25 // [sTA] - 16 // [CON] - 17.3 // [WIS] - 16.55 // [CHA] - 14.6

Find me on the internets: Facebook // Twitter // Kate Marolt | Play Warrior & Excitement Engineer!

Love the idea and just found out, I'll see if I can either find that book here in English, or get it online (not easy to comment on one language what you read in another).

german

monkey scout

"swim, bike, run", or at least "Don’t drown, don't crash, don't walk"

“If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.†-Joe Rogan

Love the idea and just found out, I'll see if I can either find that book here in English, or get it online (not easy to comment on one language what you read in another).

I don't mind sending it to you, just send me your email addie.

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

I went to the store last week and had to order the book from their website ship-to-store. They gave me a tracking code and at last check yesterday, it was still pending...

Mine arrived today but I wasn't in to sign for it so won't get it til tomorrow yet. I think it is times like these where e-readers win!

Level 1 Adventurer

[sTR-1][DEX-2][sTA-2][CON-4][WIS-3][CHA-3]

What a great idea! Wow, so many book recommendations...::brain explodes::

Someone suggested The Hobbit. I second...never read that.

-1 nerd cred

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Mine arrived today but I wasn't in to sign for it so won't get it til tomorrow yet. I think it is times like these where e-readers win!

E-readers never win in my book! Hah, I punned that one!

I'm really reconsidering ordering it to the store. If I bummed my parents' debit card, I could have gotten free premium shipping to my home and had it already. I just don't like to have other people pay, even if I'm using their card and giving them cash.

Level 1 Woodwose

HOW DID I ONLY JUST NOW FIND THIS THREAD?! :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

there is never a sudden revelation, a complete and tidy explanation for why it happened, or why it ends, or Why or Who you are. you want one and I want one, but there isn't one. it comes in bits and pieces, and you stitch them together wherever they fit, and when you are done you hold yourself up, and still there are holes and you are a rag doll, invented, imperfect. and yet you are all that you have, so you must be Enough. there is no other way.

Marya Hornbacher, Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia

We're nominating the next book now, check the board this thread is on.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

OK, joined NF around New Year's, life events happened, just got back and delighted to find this thread. Would really like to see what's selected for next 6 week challenge. Because I read ALL the books...........

riotgrly

LEVEL 2

Half-Elf STR 5 || DEX 2 || STA 4 || CON 4 || WIS 4 || CHR 2.5

Archived