Forums are back in action! ×

Help!

SammehCat

I've been trying to motivate myself into getting in shape for years now, but I just couldn't ever keep up the drive. I'd work out for a week or so, and then I'd just quit for this reason or that reason. I don't think I'm particularly weak, and I know that given a gym, I could probably get in shape. What I mean by that is I do like lifting weights, and I always want to run on a treadmill. My problem is I can afford a gym membership currently, and I have this huge issue with running in public.

I may be able to get a gym membership soon because I'm getting a job next week (nothing fancy; nothing worth getting into). Though I do have to save up money for reasons (the reason I got discouraged a month ago; don't feel like getting into).

Also, I've been considering joining the marines or army lately, and if I'm going to do that, I need to lose 20 pounds, at minimum.

I just kinda don't know where to start, you know? So if anyone can give me any advice on where to start, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

Scout

Level 1

STR: 4

DEX: 1

STA: 2

CON: 3

WIS: 3

CHA: 2

Is there an isolated area around you? Someplace where you can go running, but no one is likely to see you? Heck, if you get your running done before dawn, no one will be awake and you'll just be a shadow. You're going to have to get over the running in public thing if you're going to go into the forces. Talk to a recruiter and see if there is a group that you could go running with if that would help.

As far as the lifting things, no money needed. Just find something that can be heavy and comfortable.

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

pfft. You don't want people to see you run? Be grateful you have two working feet and a place that's safe to go running around. Not everybody is that lucky. So get your butt out the door and have yourself some nice fresh air.

Weights are free, you can find/make them anywhere, and you could start with your own body weight, right now, in your own living room (or other residential area of choice). A gym might be nice but it's certainly not necessary. (All right scum, drop and give me 20!) ... ahem.

If you think you might wanna join the armed forces, I suggest you think again. Very carefully. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but you better know what you're getting into, because once you join, you are under contract for the duration (at least four years, possibly longer) and you can go to jail for breaking it. They have really good advertising, but don't let the ads fool you -- you are joining a war machine and putting yourself under total control of an entity that has bigger needs than you. They may order you to kill people. They may order you to run the risk of mutilation, trauma, and death. They will certainly order you to do exhausting, humiliating, painful things. And you will have to obey, no matter what. The rewards might be good, but are you ready to pay that price?

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Second the 5 AM training. Train before you eat breakfast; it'll give you that much more bang for your buck. You burn off your glycogen stores, increase fat loss, and put a keen edge on your appetite.

If you're considering military service, get used to bodyweight exercises. That's the primary form of physical training used in the armed forces, and that's what you'll be tested on. Pushups, pullups, situps and timed runs. The fitness standards are readily available on line; work towards those goals and impress the hell out of your recruiter.

"If you get into trouble, you can always eat something, blow something up, or throw penguins." - Jim Henson

I know what happens when a person joins the military, haha. My boyfriend of two years has been in every bit of those two years. I'm not particularly afraid of that. If anything, I'm more predisposed to be able to handle the mental aspects. Not to mention I may just go into the reserves, and I'd be using the college option to get a degree in criminal justice to either become a criminal investigator or a cop, or maybe even attempt to become a federal agent. So I'm really not so worried about the potential orders to kill, risk of mutilation, trauma, and death, nor the exhausting, humiliating, painful things.

My concern is being physically fit enough to be what I intend to be.

And what I do kinda depends on my MOS, and whether I end up a reserve or not, though I do appreciate your concern.

And Maj. Bloodnok, thanks for the tip about training before breakfast. I never would have thought of that. :)

Scout

Level 1

STR: 4

DEX: 1

STA: 2

CON: 3

WIS: 3

CHA: 2

Archived