Forums are back in action! ×

Vote for the group read! Sept 24-Nov 5!

CalvinHobbes

Ender's Game is awesome... So is Game of Thrones.. I will read whichever though... also.. its not on your list but I HIGHLY recommend the series WOOL.. its like 12 bucks for all 4 books and they are short reads but have an extremely good story line.

1Q84

Ogre Warrior
LEVEL : 2
STR 6 | DEX 3 | STA 4 | CON 3 | WIS 6 | CHA 3
"CARPE DIEM"

Okay, I got bored at work and tallied up the votes (it's Wednesday here so I'm assuming voting is closed now).

I should note that 1Q84 appears to be a 3 book set, so I'm assuming we are just reading the first one. Kindle, Hardcover (used is pretty cheap), Barnes & Noble, Nook

[table=width: 500, class: grid]

Title

First Choice

Second Choice

1Q84—Haruki Murakami

The Casual Vacancy—JK Rowling

A Game of Thrones—George R. R. Martin

Apocalyptic Planet—Craig Childs

Crime and Punishment--Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Handmaid’s Tale--Margaret Atwood

Ender’s Game--Orson Scott Card

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

A Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

The Hobbit--JRR Tolkein

Graveyard Book—Neil Gaiman

[/table]

Level 3 Time Lord AdventurerChallenge Thread

| | Cosplay Blog | |

Good lord I might have to be reading a used physical book for the first time in literally years. My Kindle has spoilt me but 15.99 for an ebook is a tad steep.

Edit:

Do you guys have a time machine over there in Minnesota? If so, can you tell me the Mega Millions numbers for tonight, kthx. ;)

LMAO, All day yesterday I thought it was tuesday so when I read her post it seemed a little off to me but I just went with it. Must still be early early for Laney lol.

Wandering WarriorLevel 4- STR: 7.5 | DEX: 1 | CON: 7 | STA: 7.5 | WIS: 10 | CHA: 4.25"Your future is created by what you do TODAY, not tomorrow"

Battle Log | Fitocracy

Lifting Goals: Squats - 545 | Bench - 410 | Deads - 585 

1Q84 was initially released as a three book set in Japanese, but when they came out with the US translation, they put it all into one book.

I accidentally linked to the wrong version of the book on my first try, but someone else posted a link to the US version at Barnes & Noble (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/1q84-haruki-murakami/1029722649?ean=9780307593313).

Level 4 Human RangerSTR 10 | DEX 10.4 | STA 10.4 | CON 6.9 | WIS 9.5 | CHA 5.9

Do you guys have a time machine over there in Minnesota? If so, can you tell me the Mega Millions numbers for tonight, kthx. ;)

Wait, today is only Tuesday? I was going along with Laney and it being Wednesday...

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

This is great. If it is alright for me to join in, I would like to vote for The Hobbit. I have been wanting to reread it since the movie will be out soon.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lvl 1 Ranger

STR 3 | DEX 4 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 4 | CHA 1

Challenge 1

"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body"

Sir Richard Steele

Enders Game. I haven't read it in 2 years and would live an excuse as well as to discuss it with you folks.

Next time I recommend narrowing the choices down yourself either from the most recommendations or just by your judgement.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Enders Game. I haven't read it in 2 years and would live an excuse as well as to discuss it with you folks.

Next time I recommend narrowing the choices down yourself either from the most recommendations or just by your judgement.

Yup...my thought for next challenge is that the 5 books that are nominated the most will go up for voting and people can only nominate one book. Wayyy too many this challenge.

It's Wednesday for me now! But I spent all of yesterday thinking it was Wednesday. Is there something in the water?

Anywho - can't wait for voting to close, I wanna get reading!

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

Adventure's Guild Challenge winner: Challenge #24

â•‘ Live the Whole  â•‘ Bucket List â•‘Level up my Lifeâ•‘ 

"Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Every day you're alive is a special occasion."

Okay, I got bored at work and tallied up the votes (it's Wednesday here so I'm assuming voting is closed now).

Still Tuesday here, you're not in Australia are you?

Just to throw a bit of a tweak, I mentioned to Craig Childs that we were voting on a book to read and that his was in the running and he said that if he can he'll stop in and comment/answer questions if we read Apocalyptic Planet. He starts the book tour next Tuesday with sometimes limited Internet access so can't guarantee anything.

And if you want to read a bit more about the book he posted a message over at Powells

https://www.powells.com/blog/original-essays/apocalyptic-planet-by-craig-childs/

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

Am I too late to vote?

House of Leaves.

I started it a long time ago, but never finished. It's a FUN read!

edit: dammit. I'm the only one that wants this book. Seriously worth the read, but ONLY in paper form, not on an e-reader... I'm glad to see they haven't released an e-version yet.

90+ Masters Weightlifter

Current Lift PRs
Snatch: 93kg/205lb // Clean and Jerk: 113kg/248lb // Back Squat: 170kg/375lb

Spoiler

2016 USAW Senior Nationals - 6th place

2015 USAW American Open - 8th place
2015 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place
2014 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

2013 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

Instagram - MyFitnessPal

Tough to just pick one.. I read American Gods recently and it was amazing.. But maybe not for everyone. That being said I'll still vote for it.

Mitch S - Level 4 Scientist Adventurer

Wielding The Slightly Pointed Lute of Power and Dented Roman Helmet
STR :11 DEX :5 STA :7 CON :8.5 WIS :8 CHA :7
My first challenge : An Adventurer Underwater

My second challenge : Electric Boogaloo

Challenge Number 3 : On the Run
“Pray for rain all you like, but dig a well as you do it.†- Steven King The Dark Tower

The winner is.....1Q84!

I'm thinking that, since we had a rather large following for Apocalyptic Planet and it was very close we could read both (really, choose which one you want to read if you don't think you're up to reading both).

Hooray! I may read both we will just have to see.

Wandering WarriorLevel 4- STR: 7.5 | DEX: 1 | CON: 7 | STA: 7.5 | WIS: 10 | CHA: 4.25"Your future is created by what you do TODAY, not tomorrow"

Battle Log | Fitocracy

Lifting Goals: Squats - 545 | Bench - 410 | Deads - 585 

Archived