Forums are back in action! ×

Vote for the group read! Sept 24-Nov 5!

CalvinHobbes

I just finished the Kindle sample chapters for 1Q84 and I'm intrigued!

I'll look into buying the whole thing when I get home from work. I'm a little worried I won't be able to get it electronically, as it said the product wasn't available in NZ (Why an electronic book wouldn't be available in NZ when I'm willing to pay for it?!). I'll try again, maybe with a different version.

Apocalyptic Planet's not available until Oct 2nd, right?

Yay, excited for NF book club!

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

Adventure's Guild Challenge winner: Challenge #24

â•‘ Live the Whole  â•‘ Bucket List â•‘Level up my Lifeâ•‘ 

"Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Every day you're alive is a special occasion."

I'll look into buying the whole thing when I get home from work. I'm a little worried I won't be able to get it electronically, as it said the product wasn't available in NZ (Why an electronic book wouldn't be available in NZ when I'm willing to pay for it?!). I'll try again, maybe with a different version.

Sambs, what version file does your kindle take? I'll convert my epub for you if you'd like?

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Ordered 1q84 now. Excited to start reading it. Apocalyptic Planet will have to wait til my next pay day on the 6th and I think I'm going to have to get it shipped over from America so will probs takes about 14 days to arrive. Can only find it on amazon, even waterstones haven't got it to pre-order which is quite weird supposing it's the main high street book store in the UK.

Level 1 Adventurer

[sTR-1][DEX-2][sTA-2][CON-4][WIS-3][CHA-3]

If anyone wants me to get a hardcopy of Apocalyptic Planet and have it signed by Craig Childs, I'm going to his kick off lecture & book signing on Tuesday and I'll be glad to buy one and ship it anywhere, cost will be whatever the real cost plus postage is. I can take paypal to pay for it. I'll go ask what the price will be and figure on the cost using flat rate international shipping so it can go anywhere.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

If anyone wants me to get a hardcopy of Apocalyptic Planet and have it signed by Craig Childs, I'm going to his kick off lecture & book signing on Tuesday and I'll be glad to buy one and ship it anywhere, cost will be whatever the real cost plus postage is. I can take paypal to pay for it. I'll go ask what the price will be and figure on the cost using flat rate international shipping so it can go anywhere.

I'd be interested in this. Saves me having to wait for amazon to ship it over, plus it will be signed!

Level 1 Adventurer

[sTR-1][DEX-2][sTA-2][CON-4][WIS-3][CHA-3]

Yay! And it's available at the library. Double-win!

I'm 4th in line at my library :( I think I'll need another way to grab it :P

Oogie, it's so cool that you have that access to him! It's also really cool of him to consider coming to chat with us about his book.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

The book 1+2 version is not available on amazon for kindle, but just 1 is.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Does audiobook count? Would be great to listen while i walk :)

Also if anyone is looking for an e-book version, i have epub and mobi (but can convert) if anyone would like me to share with them?

"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright

My challenge

Does audiobook count? Would be great to listen while i walk :)

Also if anyone is looking for an e-book version, i have epub and mobi (but can convert) if anyone would like me to share with them?

This would be spectacular! I really don't have the $15 to spend on a book this month. :( I have a kindle and calibre. How do we go about doing this?

90+ Masters Weightlifter

Current Lift PRs
Snatch: 93kg/205lb // Clean and Jerk: 113kg/248lb // Back Squat: 170kg/375lb

Spoiler

2016 USAW Senior Nationals - 6th place

2015 USAW American Open - 8th place
2015 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place
2014 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

2013 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

Instagram - MyFitnessPal

This would be spectacular! I really don't have the $15 to spend on a book this month. :( I have a kindle and calibre. How do we go about doing this?

Angela, you can DM me your email Addie and I'll send. The file is less than 2mb.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My challenge

Angela, you can DM me your email Addie and I'll send. The file is less than 2mb.

Thank you SOOOOO much!

90+ Masters Weightlifter

Current Lift PRs

Spoiler

Instagram - MyFitnessPal

Sambs, what version file does your kindle take? I'll convert my epub for you if you'd like?

Thanks, Angel, but I managed to get it in the end :D

I read another chapter or so before bed last night, and its tone is sort of reminding me of a Paulo Cohelo book.

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

Adventure's Guild Challenge winner: Challenge #24

â•‘ Live the Whole  â•‘ Bucket List â•‘Level up my Lifeâ•‘ 

"Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Every day you're alive is a special occasion."

Now that we've chosen a book, what is the plan for discussion? 1 thread per 2-3 chapters (to avoid spoilers)? Other suggestions?

I think this would work. Then people can read at their own pace too.

90+ Masters Weightlifter

Current Lift PRs

Spoiler

Instagram - MyFitnessPal

If we go 1 thread per 2-3 chapters, there will be a serious number of threads for just one book. I think it is divided into parts (only read ch1 and 2 last night) and perhaps this might be a better way to segment.

Without creating any spoiler - the first two chapters can be read completely independently of each other (I am guessing the two main character threads) so a discussion on that may be interesting but short-lived.

Do not worry if you have built your castles in the air.
They are where they should be.
Now put the foundations under them
. - Henry David Thoreau

Archived