Forums are back in action! ×

MEN ONLY THREAD part two

yes, it's call the "hairy eyed dance" from where I'm from...

not sure it was from stress though rather than a muscle spasm....anyways, it's weird and when it happens it kinda drives me bonkers...

"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing." - Ben Franklin

Ha, so I no longer need to vent, the universe took care of it for me...... lmao. So there is a new girl at work who is a straight up geek. After doing some work with/for her I've gotten to become friends with her, we have talked about my wife and kids, her boyfriend and their new house blah blah blah, so we both know that it's just for friends; we are on the elevator this morning and I saw that she had a Hyrule pin on her bag, so of course we start geeking out about it, at one point my co-worker puffs out his chest and says to me out loud "don't you have kids and going out on paternity leave?" like as in to see "Hey look at me"; the look she gave him was priceless; that look alone made my day

the co-worker is the one I needed to vent about earlier

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

OMG YOU ARE MARRIED WITH KIDS?!?!!? 

You CANNOT have female friends! At all! What were you thinking! That just isn't done! 

(alright i will stop my sarcastic outrage now) 

Having nightmarish flashbacks to my ex now... thanks, for that bigM.

Current Challenge || Previous:: 2020 Reset

There are a ton of previous challenges that I'm not linking

"Freaking pansies. Go work out!" - The Art of Clineliness

Haven't jumped in this thread for awhile, but I should have known this is what spawned the safety razor thread.

BigM, is that a shaker in your photo? Mixing some martinis while you shave? :)

As for the back waxing, I'm not ashamed to say I get it done 2-3 times a year. Less these days as I've never had a lot by any stretch and it has been growing back slower and slower. I had it done just a month ago, and I currently have someone trying to convince me to do laser instead of waxing the next time around. For the waxing, I go to a salon. It's a men's only salon associated with a women's salon, but the waxing stuff takes place in the women's area. Even so, while I wait, I chill in the old timey looking salon area drinking some scotch in a nice big leather chair. Again, I don't have a rug or anything on my back, so I actually find it therapeutic :)

If you're ever in the Alexandria, VA area: http://www.thegentlemensquarters.com/

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

Haven't jumped in this thread for awhile, but I should have known this is what spawned the safety razor thread.

As for the back waxing, I'm not ashamed to say I get it done 2-3 times a year. Less these days as I've never had a lot by any stretch and it has been growing back slower and slower. I had it done just a month ago, and I currently have someone trying to convince me to do laser instead of waxing the next time around. For the waxing, I go to a salon. It's a men's only salon associated with a women's salon, but the waxing stuff takes place in the women's area. Even so, while I wait, I chill in the old timey looking salon area drinking some scotch in a nice big leather chair. Again, I don't have a rug or anything on my back, so I actually find it therapeutic :)

If you're ever in the Alexandria, VA area: http://www.thegentlemensquarters.com/

Well, I know what we're doing when I come down to visit you for the next lifting competition.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

A haircut for $45. I can't even imagine doing that 0_0, Maybe when I am rich :D

OMG YOU ARE MARRIED WITH KIDS?!?!!? 

You CANNOT have female friends! At all! What were you thinking! That just isn't done! 

(alright i will stop my sarcastic outrage now) 

You cannot have female friends without benefits as man regardless of marital status! Unless you're gay and effiminate of course!

[/end sarcastic hyperbole]

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.†- Vince Lombardi

Wolf, level 1 Vampire assassinSTR 2|DEX 3|STA 2|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2

Wolfish Philosophy

Current challenge

So, on a tangential note....

How many guys here have done the online dating thing?  I'm currently re-re-retrying OKCupid, but I seem to be finding myself in the same rut as before, namely exchanging a bunch of messages and then not getting a date.  I feel like it's mostly on me - I have this amazing ability to say "after she responds this time I'll ask if she wants to meet up".... and then I never hear from her again, making that statement invalid.  I just feel like asking for a meeting without a few messages under the proverbial belt is rushed.  I probably shouldn't, but I can't get out of that mindset.  Anyone know of a good rule to go by?

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

How many guys here have done the online dating thing?  I'm currently re-re-retrying OKCupid, but I seem to be finding myself in the same rut as before, namely exchanging a bunch of messages and then not getting a date.  I feel like it's mostly on me - I have this amazing ability to say "after she responds this time I'll ask if she wants to meet up".... and then I never hear from her again, making that statement invalid.  I just feel like asking for a meeting without a few messages under the proverbial belt is rushed.  I probably shouldn't, but I can't get out of that mindset.  Anyone know of a good rule to go by?

I met my wife on a dating site - we messaged for a couple of months before we met (I was on work placement across the country though).

I never had a really good rule, some people I talked to a bunch before we met, some I met after two messages, a lot I never met.  I know that I'm better in person that online though, so if I felt like it was worth my time to meet them, I'd suggest it once I knew I wanted to.

Sorry it isn't helpful, but just like so many other things in life, it depends on the situation and how things are going.

Level 2 Half-Orc Ranger

STR 4|DEX 2.6|STA 5.8|CON 8|WIS 2|CHA 3

MyFitnessPal|My Endomondo

I met my partner through a "dating" site, though it's rather different for gay men. Basically we hooked up for fun and frolics, both of us wanting something a little more intellectual than just a one-night stand, and it became a regular thing. Well, clearly, 'cause I married him.

Might be different for you straights, but I recommend a simple approach - don't go looking for something long term. Be open to it if it happens, but meet lots of people, have fun (in every sense!) and see how things go. You're very unlikely to meet a perfect match all that quickly and you don't want to miss out on it because you were focused on something else.

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

I met my partner through a "dating" site, though it's rather different for gay men. Basically we hooked up for fun and frolics, both of us wanting something a little more intellectual than just a one-night stand, and it became a regular thing. Well, clearly, 'cause I married him.

Might be different for you straights, but I recommend a simple approach - don't go looking for something long term. Be open to it if it happens, but meet lots of people, have fun (in every sense!) and see how things go. You're very unlikely to meet a perfect match all that quickly and you don't want to miss out on it because you were focused on something else.

This is pretty much what I was after, ended up meeting my wife, the rest is history.

Also - lol'd at "you straights"

Level 2 Half-Orc Ranger

STR 4|DEX 2.6|STA 5.8|CON 8|WIS 2|CHA 3

MyFitnessPal|My Endomondo

Rule to go by? Not particularly. I used to exchange a handful of messages then ask for a Facebook, claiming the messenger on OKC is lame (you can see better what they're like there and the messenger is a bit more real time). From there it was a date, usually something silly and fun, bowling or a pool hall are my favourites for first dates as it's hard for the conversation to stagnate when you're doing an activity and it's something fun! Though that may depend on age...

This! ^^^ and lol... "you straights"

Level 1 Half-Gnome Warrior

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 4 | CHA 3

IntroCurrent 6 Week Challenge!

The Art Of Double Edged Shaving

I met my wife on a dating site - we messaged for a couple of months before we met (I was on work placement across the country though).

I never had a really good rule, some people I talked to a bunch before we met, some I met after two messages, a lot I never met.  I know that I'm better in person that online though, so if I felt like it was worth my time to meet them, I'd suggest it once I knew I wanted to.

Sorry it isn't helpful, but just like so many other things in life, it depends on the situation and how things are going.

True story.  When you meet the right person, you'll know.  Don't sweat it till then. 

I also lol'd at you straights. 

Rule to go by? Not particularly. I used to exchange a handful of messages then ask for a Facebook, claiming the messenger on OKC is lame (you can see better what they're like there and the messenger is a bit more real time). From there it was a date, usually something silly and fun, bowling or a pool hall are my favourites for first dates as it's hard for the conversation to stagnate when you're doing an activity and it's something fun! Though that may depend on age...

This! ^^^ and lol... "you straights"

Thanks for the tips, guys.  I should probably start messaging more people, cast a wider net or some such.  Eh, I'll figure it out.  Probably.  Or just end up with my life goal of being the crotchety old man on the porch with a shotgun.  Either or.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Thanks for the tips, guys.  I should probably start messaging more people, cast a wider net or some such.  Eh, I'll figure it out.  Probably.  Or just end up with my life goal of being the crotchety old man on the porch with a shotgun.  Either or.

That can totally be a both and.

Paladin Aspirant

Level 3

STR: 13   DEX: 3  STA: 9  CON: 9.33   WIS: 6.66   CHA: 6

MyFitnessPal

Challenges: First, Second, Third, Fourth

Message all the people! What's the worst that happens... maybe someone who you didn't think you'd be too interested in turns out to be amazing.  Even if you aren't interested, it gives you a chance to up your confidence and just try out talking to new people without any pressure.  As a guy, you need to start the interactions 90% of the time... if you just sit around and wait for women to message you it's gonna be a nice smooth ride to crotchety shotgun man land.  

LVL 3: Zoran Warrior

STR:9 | DEX:5 | STA:10 | CON:5 | WIS:12.75 | CHA:9

Current Challenge: Not Really A 6 Week Challenge Challenge

Previous Challenges: 1st2nd

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. Good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."