Forums are back in action! ×

MEN ONLY THREAD part two

It posted my post twice, so here goes the joke.

What's the difference between stalkers and behavioral scientist?

Stalkers are obsessed with you. They watch you from a secret place.

Behavioral scientists are obsessed with you. They watch you from a secret place, take notes, compare you with other people they watch, and publish what they see.   

There are times when I well look at my life and say"I should have done this or that" or "I should have tried hard in high school so I could have gone to a better college" and then I remember that if I had done that, I probably wouldn't be where I am today. I am getting married in just over 7 months to the most amazing woman in the world(imho) and there is nothing I would give to change that.sometimes we just have to look at where our lives are headed to truly appreciate where we have been.

• Like 1

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Nothing is ever easy." Zeddicus Zull Zorander

"Do or Do Not, There is no try" Yoda

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Bench: 195lbs

Squat: 245lbs

Deadlift: 295lbs

Total weight: 735lbs

Goal Weight 1000lbs

There are times when I well look at my life and say"I should have done this or that" or "I should have tried hard in high school so I could have gone to a better college" and then I remember that if I had done that, I probably wouldn't be where I am today. I am getting married in just over 7 months to the most amazing woman in the world(imho) and there is nothing I would give to change that.sometimes we just have to look at where our lives are headed to truly appreciate where we have been.

Completely agree with this.  There are decisions I made that I regretted at various points in my life - but honestly it's hard for me to say right now that I would change much of what I've done in the past, because I'm actually really happy with the present, and would not trade it for anything.

• Like 1

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

Completely agree with this.  There are decisions I made that I regretted at various points in my life - but honestly it's hard for me to say right now that I would change much of what I've done in the past, because I'm actually really happy with the present, and would not trade it for anything.

I can agree with that.

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

Hey guys. Apparently people were surprised that I'm still around.

'sup?

just picking things up and putting them down

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Tapatalk

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

I'm def. surprised.

I see. I'm mostly back to training now, so I have something to talk about. :P

just picking things up and putting them down

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Tapatalk

Me too. Though I lack power from the floor because all I've been doing for the past 6 months is romanian deadlift.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

Whoa! Dude! I didn't know you were still here!

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

I realised yesterday whilst setting a pr for a clean that I think I get a burst of adrenalin and/or testosterone from a primal roar. I think this helped me pr and I've noticed other men do it but not really the ladies. Is this the testosterone advantage I've heard about men having? It's not something I usually do but I had an urge after feeling i might bust through a long standing plateau (I finally did) and I'm wondering if it could urge me on more regularly. As s man, does expressing aggression help you pr ?

• Like 1

Endor, LVL 45 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

I realised yesterday whilst setting a pr for a clean that I think I get a burst of adrenalin and/or testosterone from a primal roar. I think this helped me pr and I've noticed other men do it but not really the ladies. Is this the testosterone advantage I've heard about men having? It's not something I usually do but I had an urge after feeling i might bust through a long standing plateau (I finally did) and I'm wondering if it could urge me on more regularly. As s man, does expressing aggression help you pr ?

I have actually been spoken to a few times about grunting/yelling at myself while I am lifting something heavy. Squats, Deadlifts, Bench ect. Also get yelled at for dropping weights. I continue to do both though cause it lets me get heavier weight. Loud angry music does the same thing.

• Like 1

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Nothing is ever easy." Zeddicus Zull Zorander

"Do or Do Not, There is no try" Yoda

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Bench: 195lbs

Squat: 245lbs

Deadlift: 295lbs

Total weight: 735lbs

Goal Weight 1000lbs

I also do that, I notice my voice goes from "Peaceful and laughter" to "Demonic Possession" but hey, it helps me get those last reps! ^_^

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

I've been known to do it on occasion when doing intervals, or really hard effort work while running(think running a 5k at/near PR pace).  It's basically an overt expression of "This is really $#@!ing hard/unpleasant, but I'm pushing through it anyways".

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

But soon... you can do this with them!

1378878_10151684370806301_104870382_n_zp

Please fix his squat form. His knees are caving and back is rounding, he's gonna get hurt. I'd start with widening his feet a bit with toes a bit less out and cueing pushing the knees out more.

Have you looked into the effects of weight lifting as children? I'm not an expert, and not sure at what weight you need to worry about it, or try to tell you how to raise your kids, I just remember in middle school we were told we should not lift heavy as it can effect our growth. 

Been relatively debunked I believe.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

It's an old picture, his form is much better now. Got it corrected by others on this forum. 

Oh good.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Been relatively debunked I believe.

Yup. A little bit more about this because it came across my feeds. From Bob Takano, legendary weightlifting coach

3) Weightlifting will stunt your growth: This one never seems to go away.  It dates back to the days when folks in the P.E. and coaching orthodoxy did whatever they could to discourage athletes from training with weights.  In those days the only barbells to be found on a high school campus were in the corrective P.E. room (I guess it was OK for kids in need of corrective P.E. to stunt their growth).

Since a number of very good weightlifters were shorter than average, people made up this myth and ran with it.  It fails to explain why Olympic gold medalist Salimi of Iran is 6’4â€.

Anyway the logic used  for this argument could be equally applied to jockeys.  Since all jockeys are short and ride horses all the time, then riding horses will stunt your growth.

What really matters is that the IWF recognizes 8 men’s bodyweight classes and 7 women’s bodyweight classes in order to accommodate the range of heights of the participants.  If the sport universally hindered growth only one weight class would be necessary for each gender.

I think that statistics might show that there is a much smaller height range for world class female gymnasts.  This sport actually does inhibit growth because of its dietary practices.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Last time I got one, it was right after my warmup sets for RDL. Had to spend 3 minutes nursing it before I got to pull my working sets. Needless to say, the first went kinda shite. The rest was good though, and I didn't get any more nosebleeds. Anyone else have experiences like this?

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

Important dude question:

In the last year, my hair has started to thin alarmingly on top.  This year I'm genuinely worried about sunburn and stuff up there, for the first time ever. SO... since I know that it's pretty much just on top, I know that it's going to be the Ringworld of hair when it really starts to go.

So I guess the question is: when do you just say "Bleep it!" and start Bic-ing? Does anyone have any tips for going glossy?

And in that spirit:

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

I started shaving my head within a year of noticing my bald spot and never looked back. I use a Wahl Baldfader electric razor which has lasted me 10 years now. It shaves really short, so I don't bother with a blade.

If you want to do a full shave on your own, have a look at the Headblade. It's a razor specially designed for shaving heads, and it's great.

Above all though, own your shaved head and wear it proudly. I honestly think most women find them more attractive than a head of hair anyways :)

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

My wife might go for it.  She has a thing for Mike Holmes (admittedly more of a 'severe buzzcut' than anything) and her cousin's husband, who has been Bic-bald since he started to thin... at age 19.  I have nothing against going bald, and owning it. I'm also really starting to grey, but it's MOSTLY in my beard, so I might be able to rock that young-face grey-beard bald-head look.

Fun fact from said cousin: when someone asks you "Oh, I love your son's hair! What color is his father's hair?" there's a certain joy to be had from saying "I don't know!"

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides.