Forums are back in action! ×

MEN ONLY THREAD part two

Oh i never said it was a bad decision, just that ive seen people froth up over literally every character that died and spit out the "series ruined" hyperbole. I think the way characters are treated as mortal is a very big plus for the series as a whole, and really ups the dramatic tension when shit does hit the fan (eg - the stakes in the mountain v red viper fight wouldn't have been nearly as high if there wasn't already a precedent for turning your favourite characters into a fine red mist). 

• Like 1

It's the moose on the inside that counts.

Game of Thrones is a lot like The Walking Dead, where much of the lure of each respective series is the act growing attached to characters and having a certain sense of apprehension because you are never entirely comfortable they are going to survive the particular scene they are involved in.

This level of unease is a core component of each series and lends weight to the dangerous situations because the characters can actually die, unlike many, many shows and novels where a reader has a certain level of comfort that no matter the danger, the hero will survive.

The character deaths are an integral component of each series!

• Like 1

Game of Thrones is a lot like The Walking Dead, where much of the lure of each respective series is the act growing attached to characters and having a certain sense of apprehension because you are never entirely comfortable they are going to survive the particular scene they are involved in.

This level of unease is a core component of each series and lends weight to the dangerous situations because the characters can actually die, unlike many, many shows and novels where a reader has a certain level of comfort that no matter the danger, the hero will survive.

Oh i never said it was a bad decision, just that ive seen people froth up over literally every character that died and spit out the "series ruined" hyperbole. I think the way characters are treated as mortal is a very big plus for the series as a whole, and really ups the dramatic tension when shit does hit the fan (eg - the stakes in the mountain v red viper fight wouldn't have been nearly as high if there wasn't already a precedent for turning your favourite characters into a fine red mist). 

I agree with both you gusy completely, I think it's a huge part of the draw, and a huge reason why I am a fan of both series. It makes everything that much more nerve wracking and exciting.

• Like 1

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Can Carl die already? Im sick of his father yelling CAR?!?! CARRRRRRR!?!?!

I read a lot of the comics back near the prison arc (so years ago, before the show) and its a lot more like game of thrones. But a lot more subtle about people dying. They dont have an episode/season building up a character just to kill them off. People drop like flies constantly in the comics, or at least they did. Darrel was supposed to be dead a long time ago. So I am worried that because hes a fan favorite hes relatively safe. I read somewhere that they are already thinking ahead to somewhere around season 17! So its in for the long haul apparently... Of course I havent quite caught up with the show yet. 

In the comics i never really got attached to any of the characters because I was like "there already dead, its just a matter of time." The show doesnt give me that same feeling, and partly why its taken me so long to get into it. 

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Can Carl die already? Im sick of his father yelling CAR?!?! CARRRRRRR!?!?!

You shut your mouth! Haha me and the old lady love the Rick Grimes scream for Carl and the late Laurie.

With football just about over I'm ready for both of these shows to be back. My Sunday nights are so lonely.

• Like 1

You shut your mouth! Haha me and the old lady love the Rick Grimes scream for Carl and the late Laurie.

With football just about over I'm ready for both of these shows to be back. My Sunday nights are so lonely.

Girls and Downton Abbey are both on...

• Like 1

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I feel your pain...Once Upon a Time became the "Sunday Night Show" for a few weeks...

What pain? I'm thoroughly enjoying Downton, and Wifey and I are both still only watching Girls because it's such a train wreck that it's hard to turn our gaze away.

500 / 330 / 625

What pain? I'm thoroughly enjoying Downton, and Wifey and I are both still only watching Girls because it's such a train wreck that it's hard to turn our gaze away.

You know, I had two ways to go with my response: one where I assume you are being forced to watch these shows and another where you choose to watch. Lol obviously I chose wrong.

Downton Abbey though? Really?

You know, I had two ways to go with my response: one where I assume you are being forced to watch these shows and another where you choose to watch. Lol obviously I chose wrong.

50/50/90 Rule strikes again...

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/a/andyrooney194055.html

• Like 1

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

MANLY!

So manly. Bronies!!

Well, the show Supernatural is part of why my hair is like this.

Pictureofme5_zpsc793b607.png

You don't look like a moose...

It's the moose on the inside that counts. The tip of my head also reachs about the guy's sternum.

I know... I don't think I'm at the same height with the male lead in Supernatural.

I'm the same height with this dude on the right.

article-2509905-197FC4E500000578-33_634x

• Like 1

I know... I don't think I'm at the same height with the male lead in Supernatural.

I'm the same height with this dude on the right.

article-2509905-197FC4E500000578-33_634x

when you get to have your arm around jennifer lawrence and have kissed her, ain't no one that can give you shit about height.

• Like 3

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Nothing is ever easy." Zeddicus Zull Zorander

"Do or Do Not, There is no try" Yoda

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Bench: 195lbs

Squat: 245lbs

Deadlift: 295lbs

Total weight: 735lbs

Goal Weight 1000lbs

It's really a quality show. We didn't pick it up until it was half way through the 4th season. We're finally caught up and this is the first season we can wacth on tv. I'm notorious for liking non-manly movies in the rom-com and chick-flick categories, as well as tv shows like Parenthood and Girls.

Never heard of this, I like it.

speaking of manly shows, i just started watching vikings. show is off the hook. plus lagertha's warrior hairstyles are to die for. *melts*

LAGERTHA-played-by-Katheryn-Winnick-Shie

What channel is this on? Gonna have to add it to the list.

The first season of Vikings was great, the second is on my to-watch list.

Downton Gainsdalf? Really? I'm British and i've never even watched that. I can't believe its even shown over there.

We get it 4 months later. The current season for us started 2 weeks ago, but for you it aired starting in September. I love it.

500 / 330 / 625