Forums are back in action! ×

MEN ONLY THREAD part two

Dude you should see her "workout" videos. She goes "use a light weight we don't want to bulk up, we want our curves."....

Yea... yea...

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

I think that woman is very beautiful, but don't agree with her message. When she says "It doesn’t matter if you’re a size 2 or 22" Thats easy for a size 12 to say. At a size 12 you can still very easily be very healthy, but not at 22. 

Obesity as a norm is creeping into western society, and instead of many trying to fix the issue, the source, or the cause, we should just learn to accept it/ love it?

Wrong direction IMO. 

My wife is a healthy size 22, currently getting her degree in Environmental Management.  She's hand-bombing cut blocks and coring trees out in the wilderness, in the Northern Canadian winter, and she's keeping up with all the trim, fit young people. She's pretty much always been a size 22, and she probably always will be a size 22.  She eats healthy, rarely drinks, doesn't smoke, and works hard.

Just FYI. 

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

When I was 280 lbs I could climb mountains, hike through the alpine, fell trees, finished my degree in environmental science, and keep up with all the fit young people as well. I was a fat guy my whole life, thought I would be the rest of my life.  Then I changed, and once I did I recognized how bloody hard things were before. 

Being able to keep up does not imply healthy. 

Now I'm not saying that your wife is not healthy, but the majority of people who are a size 22 are at serious risk of many health related issues. Joint degeneration, gallbladder disease, osteoarthritis, chronic back pain, several types of cancers (colorectal, kidney, breast, endometrial, ovarian and pancreatic cancers) and major types of cardiovascular disease (hypertension, stroke, congestive heart failure and coronary artery disease) are all directly related to carrying too much body fat.

Currently lost in Fitness.

You have shattered my illusion you look like your avatar

This made me laugh so hard because I thought the same exact thing. I was really hoping for the epic beard.

• Like 2

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

So I originally brought the video of the plus size model in this thread to focus on a point, but I didn't share it. And I would really like to see what everyone things about this specific aspect of it. Since its a MEN ONLY thread.

So I think its a little over... well A LOT over the top.

First off the moaning in the background. Why? Just why? 

Second the ridiculously exaggerated reactions by the guys? We get it, we are supposed to think shes hot. But it makes it look more like they are making fun of her.

And finally where is the plus sized dudes? To me this ad completely flops and loses the point. It now says (to me) hey look these super fit hot dudes think this woman is hot so should you! 

To me at least it feels like this ad is trying to say "hey look these bigger girls can be just like the skinny ones" and you should think they are hot just as long as they wear bikinis, take of their tops and throw it in the pool, and make sexy moaning noises for no reason. So hot in fact that dudes that are so hot that they should be dating "hot" girls (by pre concieved standards) are literally falling over for her.

Now I would like to point out that even after everything I just said, I still don't care. I still find her attractive, I still will probably pick up the issue becuase shes in it (and kate upton probably), and I don't feel at all demeaned as a man. I just feel that the ad was handled poorly. But maybe thats just me?

Havent watched the video and am not a man but

dudes that are so hot that they should be dating "hot" girls (by pre concieved standards) are literally falling over for her.

you just answered your own question. The ad takes a common formula (hot girl saunters by pool in bikini and guys stare lustfully) and... uses it?

It's the moose on the inside that counts.

I agree with hitlion, they are using a common formula and they are using it well (I did watch the video). And would you have had any of those same questions if the model hadn't been plus sized? I think that it is a great step forward for women, taking a step towards showing women that they don't have to be a size 0 or 2 to be comfortable with their bodies using mainstream advertising. Body image is not the same as being fit. Wanting to get fit is great and I think should always be encouraged for a myriad of health reasons, but not for body image reasons, people should be comfortable in their own skin no matter how big or small they may be and this ad shows that for women. Men not so much, but baby steps. Advertising plays a large role (though obviously far from the only role) in making people who aren't super fit feel bad about their bodies and any steps to make people feel better about themselves are good steps.

• Like 1

This too, shall pass.

So I originally brought the video of the plus size model in this thread to focus on a point, but I didn't share it. And I would really like to see what everyone things about this specific aspect of it. Since its a MEN ONLY thread.

So I think its a little over... well A LOT over the top.

First off the moaning in the background. Why? Just why? 

Second the ridiculously exaggerated reactions by the guys? We get it, we are supposed to think shes hot. But it makes it look more like they are making fun of her.

And finally where is the plus sized dudes? To me this ad completely flops and loses the point. It now says (to me) hey look these super fit hot dudes think this woman is hot so should you! 

To me at least it feels like this ad is trying to say "hey look these bigger girls can be just like the skinny ones" and you should think they are hot just as long as they wear bikinis, take of their tops and throw it in the pool, and make sexy moaning noises for no reason. So hot in fact that dudes that are so hot that they should be dating "hot" girls (by pre concieved standards) are literally falling over for her.

Now I would like to point out that even after everything I just said, I still don't care. I still find her attractive, I still will probably pick up the issue becuase shes in it (and kate upton probably), and I don't feel at all demeaned as a man. I just feel that the ad was handled poorly. But maybe thats just me?

100% agree with you and was my immediate reaction. 

Then I realised this ad is nothing to do with men, it's all about selling bikinis to fat girls, reaching a new market for a product and making money. It's nothing to do with morals or image or anything like that, just MAKING MONEY in disguise. OK I'm officially cynical. 

Embedded for the lazy folks:

• Like 1

Endor, LVL 45 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

Havent watched the video and am not a man but

you just answered your own question. The ad takes a common formula (hot girl saunters by pool in bikini and guys stare lustfully) and... uses it?

I don't know how I can justify this with an answer when you openly admit not watching the video. Considering you have no ground to stand on because you have no valid input to the specific instance I am referring to. But since you insist on commenting on something that you've never seen I will explain my thoughts to you in a way that you may understand without having to actually watch the video.

Of course I have seen other ads involving "conventional" models doing something similar. I was just simply pointing out that in this instance it was overdone to the point of comical. And I think this skews a potentially good message the material could portray. 

As I said I really don't care about what the guys look like. And I also think its a great thing that she is going to be in SI. The subject I wished to discuss was not if the woman was attractive, or if this was good for women. But instead how this add portrays men and how the men themselves ACT in the video, and its impact on the effects of the ad.

Again I will say that in the long run it doesn't affect me in any way. I was just hoping for a possibly good conversation and discussion on it. Guess thats not gonna happen.

I agree with hitlion, they are using a common formula and they are using it well (I did watch the video). And would you have had any of those same questions if the model hadn't been plus sized? I think that it is a great step forward for women, taking a step towards showing women that they don't have to be a size 0 or 2 to be comfortable with their bodies using mainstream advertising. Body image is not the same as being fit. Wanting to get fit is great and I think should always be encouraged for a myriad of health reasons, but not for body image reasons, people should be comfortable in their own skin no matter how big or small they may be and this ad shows that for women. Men not so much, but baby steps. Advertising plays a large role (though obviously far from the only role) in making people who aren't super fit feel bad about their bodies and any steps to make people feel better about themselves are good steps.

The beginning of the video where they take of the glasses, and can't help but staring at the girl? Yea that's fine. Getting up and running towards her in their best bay watch jogs? Falling into the pool because they where too busy staring at her? I would like to think thats over the top for any model. 

I first would like to thank you for actually watching the video before commenting. I wholeheartedly agree that this is a great thing for women, even if the message is a bit skewed. And I totally agree, and think you have hit the nail on the head, with the statement that people shouldn't be trying to get thinner for body image reasons, but health reasons. It is true that no matter what size you are you should not be judged based on physical appearance. People are people no matter what size.

Perhaps it is my fault the discussion didn't truly highlight the point I wanted to explore. Due to lack of clarity in my posts, or nothing in the first (in the first post where I shared the video I was on my phone and thus posted it quickly) this is understandable. What I meant to focus on was how the reactions of the guys in the ad reflect on other men, and how their actions affect the message of the ad as a whole.

100% agree with you and was my immediate reaction. 

Then I realised this ad is nothing to do with men, it's all about selling bikinis to fat girls, reaching a new market for a product and making money. It's nothing to do with morals or image or anything like that, just MAKING MONEY in disguise. OK I'm officially cynical. 

Embedded for the lazy folks:

Wow that is pretty cynical.

Thanks for providing an easier link to the video, which I didn't provide because I was lazy.

Well thanks for clarifying your point (somewhat) at least.

I stand by my initial post though, this ad is standard fare with a plus size model replacing the typical size 0. It plays off existing tropes and switches it up to cater to a niche market and, as

Endor mentioned, sell bikinis.

But if youd like to make this about "the representation of men" then id like to point you back to my initial statement. Its an advertisement trope. It shows product creating sex appeal and the opposite sex acting accordingly. The gender flip version might be lynx (axe outside aus) deodorant.

Is this harmful to men? Maybe? But if it is, youll need a more convincing argument than "but the girl is fat why would guys that hot go for her?" and a lot better manners to have any sort of intellectual conversation about it.

Oh and yes - i have watched it now.

It's the moose on the inside that counts.

AND LET THE BATTLE OF THE SEXES COMMENCE!

• Like 1

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Nothing is ever easy." Zeddicus Zull Zorander

"Do or Do Not, There is no try" Yoda

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Bench: 195lbs

Squat: 245lbs

Deadlift: 295lbs

Total weight: 735lbs

Goal Weight 1000lbs

Ok, so...

First of all, I think advertising is aimed toward the... um... average consumer, shall we say? Look at any advert with a critical eye; they're not exactly logical, they appeal to the emotions.

Secondly, the attitude toward body size seems a little schizophrenic. On the one hand, if you're not a size 0 (and WTF's the deal with size 00?) then you're plus sized. I exaggerate, but you know what I mean. And on the other hand we're being asked to accept people of all sizes - which is fine.

Lastly, look at the men in the ad. Why are they "hot guys"? That's a pretty unrealistic expectation to lay on the rest of us. Jus sayin.

• Like 2

The past is only smoke in a dream.

Lvl 6 Ranger Berzerker

STR 9 DEX 4 STA 9 CON 8 WIS 2 CHA 8

Barfly ain't even tryin'...

Well thanks for clarifying your point (somewhat) at least.

I stand by my initial post though, this ad is standard fare with a plus size model replacing the typical size 0. It plays off existing tropes and switches it up to cater to a niche market and, as

Endor mentioned, sell bikinis.

But if youd like to make this about "the representation of men" then id like to point you back to my initial statement. Its an advertisement trope. It shows product creating sex appeal and the opposite sex acting accordingly. The gender flip version might be lynx (axe outside aus) deodorant.

Is this harmful to men? Maybe? But if it is, youll need a more convincing argument than "but the girl is fat why would guys that hot go for her?" and a lot better manners to have any sort of intellectual conversation about it.

Oh and yes - i have watched it now.

I do not want to turn this into a battle of the sexes thing. That's not what it was about. 

I am willing to admit the wording in my post (specifically the quote below)

"To me at least it feels like this ad is trying to say "hey look these bigger girls can be just like the skinny ones" and you should think they are hot just as long as they wear bikinis, take of their tops and throw it in the pool, and make sexy moaning noises for no reason. So hot in fact that dudes that are so hot that they should be dating "hot" girls (by pre concieved standards) are literally falling over for her."

Is a bit all over the place, and in fact the entire post was. So let me be a little more concise. I was meaning to imply that the men in this ad are meant to represent ALL men. Also, by warped standards of such ads and marketing, they where considered sexually desirable or "hot". But I am not looking only at their physical appearance, but more importantly how they treat the woman who is the subject of the ad. 

So to clarify what I have said so far. When I referred to these guys as "hot" I was not saying that they are not necessarily the pinnacle of male perfection, only that this is what media would have us believe. So perhaps in the above quote every time I said hot I should have had it in quotes. Or perhaps left their looks out of it entirely as I wanted to emphasize the actions of the men more than their appearance. This includes my statement of the lack of plus sized males.

There are numerous ways to approach and look at this ad. And the only people that truly know its true purpose are the creators of the material. You can look at it from the cynical "there to sell bikinis aproach", and thats accurate. You can look it as the awesome story of the first plus sized model to appear in SI. Or you can see it as just another ad objectifying women and making men look like sex crazed idiots. There are of course others, and they are all as valid as any other. 

I stand by what I chose to say, and I will state it here in a more accurate form. I believe that this ad is over the top, that the actions of the men seem to be forced to the point that I personally feel it is counterproductive. That is my opinion of this ad in particular. The subject matter of the ad does not alter my perception of it. I still feel they are trying to hard to push the idea that the subject matter (in this instance the model) is attractive.

I never did say "Why are the hot guys going for the fat chick?", and I am sorry if that is how my original posting was interpreted. 

So again I don't really care about the image that this might portray for men. When I see a commercial/movie/tv where a guy takes his shirt of and all the girls swoon I could care less. Six pack abs don't make a man a man. Just like a small waist line or big boobs don't make a woman.

If we are going to compare it to other commercials, like Axe, I will state that I find those ads just as ridiculous and over the top.

As far as the attack on me personally that I should use better "manners" and that I said

"but the girl is fat why would guys that hot go for her?"

is completely false. Besides the fact that you are putting words in my mouth if you read what I wrote (which I quoted previously in this very post but will sum up here in bold) that these "hot" dudes should be dating "hot" girls (by pre concieved standards). I am saying that this ad seems, to me, to be trying to denounce stereotypes of the "perfect man" and "perfect woman", but fails and instead enforces the idea that this is how men and women should act regardless of size.

It was also never about if this ad is harmful to men. I don't believe in this case it is any worse than ads such as axe, and I don't think they really have much of an impact on men in general.  

But when it comes right down to it I came to this men only thread to share a video of a guy lifting a huge weight and breaking a 1000 year old record of legend. And the fact that a new attractive model was going to appear in SI and how over the top the ad was. Honestly I expected more discussion to come about from the record breaking feat of strength than anything. Possibly a discussion about the use of a weight belt etc.

In 100% truth I did not want to start a debate about weight/vs attractiveness. In my earlier post where I said I shared the video with the purpose of discussing the over the top aspect of the ad was in fact an attempt to perhaps shift the conversation away from the potentially destructive discussion that could have arisen about personal feelings over body weight and beauty. Which I would have felt responsible for unintentionally starting.

AND LET THE BATTLE OF THE SEXES COMMENCE!

Not really no.

You have shattered my illusion you look like your avatar

This made me laugh so hard because I thought the same exact thing. I was really hoping for the epic beard.

Sorry guys. It is the ultimate goal though, or something resembling it. The beard is longer, body fat lower, shoulders a bit bigger. We'll see, still a long way out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Sorry guys. It is the ultimate goal though, or something resembling it. The beard is longer, body fat lower, shoulders a bit bigger. We'll see, still a long way out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't worry man your a bad ass! Your achievements inspire. 

As far as the attack on me personally that I should use better "manners" and that I said

Hate to be this guy BUT I'm pretty sure that's not why she said you need better manners. But I could be wrong, I'm usually wrong.

Can we all agree that the commercial was made for one main goal, to sell the S.I. Swimsuit edition (why they need the advertising now idk)

Was there a good looking lady? Hell yes! Were there ripped guys? Yes there were. Was there a sense of humor wen the Gus did the over the top run or fell in the pool? Yes there was. Can we safely say that most women (deep down) want to have that kind of reaction when they walk I to a room (I don't mean be viewed as a we. Symbol but to have every eye on them because they are found to be very attractive)? I believe we CAN say that. Could we say that most of us guys have shamelessly checked out a girl in public before? I know I have.

Can we please move beyond the " this is degrading to men/women" and the "unrealistic expectations arguments" jut take the commercial for what I is

A "large" (word used very loosely) sexy lay in a bikini strutting her stuff and the guys comically "falling" for her. Is a stupid commercial to sell a magazine. Enough personal attracts due to personal beliefs of what it represents.

Sent from my phone, through the banging of weights, to the chimp translators aboard the tardis powered by the dylithiam crystal flux capacitor.

• Like 2

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Nothing is ever easy." Zeddicus Zull Zorander

"Do or Do Not, There is no try" Yoda

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Bench: 195lbs

Squat: 245lbs

Deadlift: 295lbs

Total weight: 735lbs

Goal Weight 1000lbs

On a separate note, that commercial does raise some interesting questions about how ads are actually perceived by their target audience vs. what the ad creator intended. Guys, what are your opinions regarding ads targeted at men and the messages you get from them vs. the message the ad creator intended to send. For example, commercials for lotion directed at men as compared to those directed at women. Or, the Axe ads mentioned before. Or this ad:

On a separate note, that commercial does raise some interesting questions about how ads are actually perceived by their target audience vs. what the ad creator intended. Guys, what are your opinions regarding ads targeted at men and the messages you get from them vs. the message the ad creator intended to send. For example, commercials for lotion directed at men as compared to those directed at women. Or, the Axe ads mentioned before. Or this ad:

Commercials for me, do next to nothing. About the only thing I'll get out of a commercial is a new company if I've never heard of em before, and as a result I might go look them up online if they do something of interest to me. The ones here, just make me laugh but I don't have a desire to go buy what they're selling. So if I'm the target audience, they done missed their mark....

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

My partner has no memory for adverts. He can watch one through, then I'll make a comment about it and he'll have no idea what I'm talking about. I envy him.

Many adverts are so damned awful that I feel a strong aversion to the product after seeing them. Particularly awful adverts that stick in the mind lead to thoughts of visiting the company in question with dynamite.

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

A. The whole Dark Tower series is awesome! (Well, the last book is ok, but the rest is the shiznit!)

Not only the books, but also the Marvel comics!

By last book do you mean last of the series (i.e. DT7?) or the last of the series they published (i.e. Wind through the keyhole?)

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft