Forums are back in action! ×

Job hunting (panicky little whimper)

Raincloak

Check the accounts. Hmm yup ... there's money in there, but not much.

Check the expenses. Increasing. At present, this cannot be helped.

Check the income. Not big enough. Dammit.

Now what? (All together now...) It's time to get another job!

*racks shotgun, plays battle prep music*

ihatejobhuntingsomebodypleeztellmeitsgoingtobeokay.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

What's the job market you're looking for? What kind of job do you want? And are you willing to take the sh_t jobs to provide income until you can get what you want?

The third one is probably the most important, if you are willing to accept that, you will be fine. I've been doing a sh_t job (on call security guard) for over a year now as a side income, but I've been living off of just that since this past Summer while looking for an IT job.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

What's the job market you're looking for? What kind of job do you want? And are you willing to take the sh_t jobs to provide income until you can get what you want?

The third one is probably the most important, if you are willing to accept that, you will be fine. I've been doing a sh_t job (on call security guard) for over a year now as a side income, but I've been living off of just that since this past Summer while looking for an IT job.

Depends on your definition of sh_t jobs. I'm currently looking at office-type jobs, which aren't a big thrill, but they keep me sheltered and fed. I've done admin support, legal assistant, receptionist, that sort of thing.

the hardest part is working up the guts to actually apply for jobs. Something about reciting my wussy job history over and over just ... makes me want to crawl in a hole. Also, I have this nagging feeling that white-collar work isn't what I was born to do, but I'm good at it and I don't have any other current prospects, so I'm stuck with it until I figure out something else.

Sh_t jobs are basically the ones you either don't want to do but gets the bills paid, or one you don't mind but only barely gets you to scrape by, until you can get one you want.

Take my job for instance, I like the job, but I don't like not knowing when or if I'll have work and getting less than minimum wage because of a technicality.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

First, I'm going to admit that I haven't had to interview for a job in over 10 years now, and I know that things are much tougher out there now. I'm pretty shy so the whole building myself up on paper and interviewing is death by 1000 papercuts. Take a 2nd look at those wimpy jobs; did they make you stronger or smarter somehow? Did you learn how to deal with people? With a difficult boss? Think about what you took away from the jobs and what you bring with you to the one you're interviewing for. Good luck in your hunt.

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Apply everywhere you're even halfway qualified if you're really looking to get out. I started putting in 5-7 apps a week a few months before I graduated from college, was unemployed a month a half after graduation, and then finally got a job unloading semi-trucks in a warehouse (with my college degree). It paid the bills (barely), but I kept putting in 3-5 apps a week for three and a half months until I got the job I'm in now in business account sales at a local telecom company. Overall, I probably put in 70-100 apps between March and September. Full disclosure- both of those jobs (the warehouse and the telecom company) I got in the door because I knew people there who could recommend me to the hiring teams. Utilize your connections and references, even if you don't feel like you have any (you do).

Cowboy - Human Adventurer
STR: 3 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 2 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

ah ... well, no new jobs since I posted that first one. Because I still haven't gotten my courage up to apply. Which is unfortunate because a couple potential really good jobs have passed me by. sigh.

Now that my computer is restored to functionality (for the time being), I need to just draft a current resume and cover letter, and spam the universe with it. I just haaaate doing my resume because there are big gaps in it and I always feel like such an underqualified moron.

I mean, yeah, I can file and type things, drive a vehicle without crashing it, operate a cash register, and talk on the phone in English -- big whoop. Any moron could do that. (Apparently not every moron does though... maybe I need to adjust my perceptions.)

Good luck. I think I found dating to be easier back when I was single!! O.o

I have been actively hunting for 2 months, passively for 6 months. Part of my problem is not being state side. Hoping it goes much easier/better in 2 weeks.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Elven Ranger

STR - 7.2 Dex - 2 Sta - 7 Con - 4 Wis - 3 CHA - 4

"Do or Do Not. There is no try."

"Why do we fall sir? So we might learn to pick ourselves up ."

Round 2 - Faster, Stronger, Leaner and more Pious?

Lefeux's Ranger Conquest

Workout Log

I mean, yeah, I can file and type things, drive a vehicle without crashing it, operate a cash register, and talk on the phone in English -- big whoop. Any moron could do that. (Apparently not every moron does though... maybe I need to adjust my perceptions.)

And you're a girl, so you can't do a pullup??? What kind of Rebel attitude is that? I have a friend that owns a small business and he says no one wants to work. He can't keep staff because they just don't show up, etc. You're smart, thorough and helpful.

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Warning, this part is a little ranty. Job hunting is hard. I am starting to get really frustrated with it. I just graduated from college, and haven't been able to find any work yet. I still have my telecommute internship in writing, but it is winding down and I haven't had any contact with my supervisor in a while. She is rethinking her business. I've been sending out a lot of applications, trying to get a couple out every day. I was called for one interview, which was canceled at the last minute, and a month later it still hasn't been rescheduled. I've had two other interviews which did happen, but so far no luck. In one, it seemed that my reliance on public transit worked against me, in the other I just wasn't chosen at the mass hiring event. I've gotten a couple of rejection letters. I do have a work history, but it is all based in writing and education. I'm trying to work for a while and save money to get a teaching credential, and I don't seem very good at linking what I have done in work to typical interview questions. I am also being a little frustrated because a lot of the jobs I do have experience in, I can't apply for. All the tutoring jobs in my area require a car, all education centers that aren't schools require a valid driver's license.  Any government job I'm not allowed to apply for for a couple more months, until I find out whether or not I get to serve in Peace corps next spring. Right now I just want any (legal) job so I can pay the bills, save money, and take care of business until I know what I'm doing.  And if I am invited to the Peace Corps, I need some sort of income to take care of all the associated expenses. Sorry, Rant over.

I understand that it is hard to get up the courage to apply Raincloak, but once you start it will be easier. My sister is also job hunting, and she is feeling better now that shes has had an interview. Once you do it, it isn't so scary the next time. You may also want to look at the resources you have in your area. I recently found out that my public library system has a lot of job hunting resources, all free to anyone who has a library card, and what kind of nerd doesn't have a library card? :) They may even have a job coach, and they may be able to help you build up some confidence. You may also want to start going in person to apply if you can. That is what I am starting to do, though I"m not sure if it is helping much.

Archived