Forums are back in action! ×

Ren Fest - Barbarian Games

Titanium Bulwark

Greeting NF members, I need your help!

I'm in charge of our group's Renaissance Festival competition this year and I could use some ideas. Our group typically goes as generic "barbarians" so nothing is strictly off the table.

In year's past, here's the list of games:

Heavy rock throw

Caber Toss

Wench Race (pick up your significant other and race around the camp :) )

Tug of War

Bat Race (spin around the bat 10 times, race to the other side and watch as everyone can't run in a straight line)

As you will notice, some are more humorous than others, and I'm ok with that.

That being said, a few guidelines:

1. No weapons, fireworks, etc (too dry and I'd like to let everyone keep all their digits)

2. Must be something everyone can at least attempt (no deadlifting cars, holding airplanes, etc)

3. No direct combat (e.g. wrestling). We have done this in the past and it never ends well.

4. Nothing too elaborate. I have to carry all materials or equipment for the game with me to a campsite, so boo logistics.

Thanks in advance, any help would be greatly appreciated!

PS Pictures of previous Ren Fest festivities are on my current challenge thread here.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

STR: 14.5 DEX: 7 STA: 12.5 CON: 8 WIS: 9.5 CHA: 5

Out of 100 men in battle, 10 shouldn't even be there, 80 are just targets, 9 are real fighters,

Ah, but the one,

One of them is the WARRIOR, And he will bring the others back.

- Hericletus 500 BC

Isaiah 40:31 "..but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

Cornholing? Basically you throw a beanbag at a hole cut into a small piece of plywood. I guess it's a less civilized version of horseshoes or bocce or that new-fangled ladder bolo.

Oh, you want manly.... ten-pound sacks? Sam's club has rice at 10 and 25 packs for less than a half dollar a pound, I'm sure sand is cheaper. 40 pounds of kitty litter in a bucket is roughly $12, but those would break. (Can cardboard-packaged litter be thrown without breaking? I don't know which brands have plastic bags inside. Actually, some come in plastic grain sacks.)

Your average person, if they are responsibly healthy, should be able to wrangle a car tire on the rim.

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

Thanks Kelekona, that's a good idea. We do have a ladder golf and we do enjoy it.

So the cornholing would be a 10 lb sack thrown into a tire? That's a good idea...

And I have thought of trying to do a "caveman" bocce, with big rocks, but that would mean I'd have to get the big rocks to the campsite... hmm.

Thanks!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

STR: 14.5 DEX: 7 STA: 12.5 CON: 8 WIS: 9.5 CHA: 5

Out of 100 men in battle, 10 shouldn't even be there, 80 are just targets, 9 are real fighters,

Ah, but the one,

One of them is the WARRIOR, And he will bring the others back.

- Hericletus 500 BC

Isaiah 40:31 "..but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

I don't understand cornholing. It looks like the standard beanbag is about half of the size I would microwave for sinus issues.... something for the toddlers, maybe.

Do your own research, but I think you're pretty close, or a brand-new game that I'm not going to claim credit for.

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

They have a game here is Korea where kids stand about 2-3 meters away and toss rounded hand arrows in to a pitcher. It is a traditional game and I am guessing used for eye hand co-ordination and spear practice. It is cheap easy and inexpensive.

Race: Mul (Dark Sun, AD&D)

Profession: Battle Monk

Level:1

Str/4 Dex/3 Con/4 Wis/2 Cha/2

Archived