Forums are back in action! ×

Night shift workers, get in here!

Radiata

Heya! I am trying to stablish a nice and decent routine for daily chores, fitness and all that stuff, but I just hit a nice, big, brick wall: being a night shift worker is screwing up my sleep and eating natural cycle. I was used to work from 10 to 6 and now with my new job at the kitchen I work from 6 to 2, sometimes stretching it to 3 A.M. So, are there any night shift workers or even better, cooks, around here that could gave me some advice to effectively keep going for all day AND get some decent sleep.

Now that I´m rereading my post... is that even possible?

i work 2 6-2 mornings, 2 10-6 nights then 2 2-10 afternoons then 2 days off (sub in a 3 when the first day falls on friday, the nights to 2-10 is also quick turn around (8 hour break then back to work))

i find that i tend not to sleep much past 11-12 after a night shift (makes the quick turnarounds pretty easy, it's just wake up, breakfast then work really) but then have a nap around 5/5:30ish PM till 7-8PM and then i'm good for the night. a combo of green tea, very dark chocolate (85-90%), fruit (i'm onto red grapes atm) and on a very odd occasion a black coffee are then just incase i get drowsy, good music that gets ya bopping helps too

I can't remember exactly why I know this, but the one thing you want to do is get into bed before the sun comes up. You hear birds singing, dive under the covers or it's over. Then get as much sun as possible before your shift starts. You shouldn't be much worse off than a standard office rat in the winter.

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

How often do you work there? If the kitchen is open that late I assume you work at a bar/tavern, and their usually open that late on Thursday-Saturday nights.

I've been a waitress and now a banquet servers for 3 years and what helped me is trying to get a solid 7-8 hour sleep on days that I wasn't working. If you can take a nap in the afternoon before you shift starts that definitely helps. And what you eat has a huge impact too. Ever since I got back from Italy I've been carrying a filtered water bottle (Camelback) and it's helping me stay awake since I'm keeping my body hydrated all day long (and it's free!).

"If you die, you die. A man must constantly exceed his level." - Bruce Lee

Yep, its more bar-oriented but we still slug dishes like there was no tomorrow on weekends. I work there five-six days a week, with the same schedule everyday. I´ve tried napping before the shift but I feel sluggish and have to resort to the kind of coffee that kicks you like a pack mule in order to get going and catch with the kitchen rythm. I love the adrenaline pumping through my body but I´m also getting tired of the erratic sleep and inconsistent eating schedules.

Speaking of food, somedays I devour large amounts of carbohydrates and proteins, with the just rations of vegetables and fruits. Others I just eat once or twice a day because I don´t feel hungry. I barely drink soda and limit myself to a glass or two of wine erryday. Maybe drinking more water will help me staying sharp, gotta try that

I work either 3-11 or 11-7, sometimes pulling a double from 3pm - 7am. regardless, my shifts lend me more towards the night.

The main thing I've learned is that your "full day" doesn't have to start at the same time as everyone else's. If you get off work at 3am, there is absolutely no reason you should ever get up at 7am. People give me a bad time about "sleeping in" because I often don't get out of bed until 2pm, but assuming I got to bed at 8am (half hour commute, morning shift never arrives on time, and I have to feed the dogs, let them out, and generally wind down before I crawl into bed) then waking up at 2pm is still only 6 hours of sleep. Your morning has to shift to whenever your 8 hours of sleep is up. You can still have a full day and get all of the same things in that you would on a normal 9-5 schedule, they're just not going to be when other people are doing them. If you have things that need to be done within "normal business hours" they'll have to happen as soon as you wake up, like going to the post office or bank. Everything else, schedule in when you think it will work best for you.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that leads to total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -Frank Herbert, Dune

Archived