Forums are back in action! ×

Carb overload?

Tengu

So I just joined yesterday

Today is my "bachelor party" for grain carbs, haha

I'm not doing it because of "Oh I'll start tomorrow", or "I'll wait til tomorrow".

It's more like a bachelor party...this is IT, end of story, tomorrow (jovedi) is when I start working to be acceptable to the assassins guild.

So, today, a I had a "food party" of breaded chicken sandwiches (on whole wheat buns with mayo and pickles and onions), Caesar salad (with croutons), the last of my "birthday pizza"...well that's pretty much all of it.

Has anyone else felt literally "inebriated" after going mostly paleo or atkins and then seriously indulging in carbs?

Because right now I have one more reason to stick to paleo only.

I feel quite tipsy (literally)

Yay :( for my last night, my bachelor party before fitness.

I literally can't walk straight and I'm slurring

Even my wife noticed my slurring.

I need to shower.

Frack this

WWSD??

Just Fracking DO it!

Dude what you're doing is binging. Just because you're starting tomorrow doesn't mean you indulge today. I wish you the best of luck though! I know what has helped me is slowly weaning myself off grains (I cut off pasta and bread for a month, and this week took off cereal).

"If you die, you die. A man must constantly exceed his level." - Bruce Lee

When you go Very Low Carb, some metabolic pathways in your body actually adapt so that you can produce enough ketone bodies to provide energy from fat instead of from carbs. Throwing a bunch of easily digestible carbs on top of that is bound to do some wacky things to you. It's merely a "carb hangover."

Good luck with your fitness journey! I hope the bachelor party didn't leave you with too many regrets :boxing:

Battle Log

Fat Kid Turned Personal Trainer, Lifestyle + Nutrition Coach

http://www.kentmccannfitness.com for more!

Also on Twitter, FB, and Fitocracy!

Dude- that happens with me and sugar. I didn't eat any sugar for years, and now if I have a brownie or a slice of pie or something (I'm living with my grandma right now [i'm unemployed and she said she was lonely, so I figured, why not] and she constantly bakes and... takes it personally if I don't "try" it), I feel like I've chugged an entire bottle of *fuzzy in the head* medicine. Considering I find it highly unlikely that my grandmother is drugging me, I'm guessing it's the sugar/flour. LOL.

I honestly don't know if the 5 seconds of freedom feeling of eating something you know is crap is worth the pain and nausea that comes after.

"A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination." -Nelson Mandela

Well, no carb "hangover" today (although I struggled to wake up this morning....booo!)

I was actually really happy to get back to eating eggs, a couple of bananas (early this morn), a bit of almond butter, salad greens, some brocc, chicken, turkey, etc etc.

Yeah, I binged yesterday. I did it on purpose.

And it sucked.

New day today, and feeling much better about my eating :)

And after getting protein and good slow carbs in me, feeling much much better overall.

ETA- And Kent? Is that your before and after in your pic? If so, then HOLY WOW!!!! How long did that take you? ~colour me jealous and SO inspired!~

Just Fracking DO it!

I wonder if gut bacteria is constantly making all the SAD constantly low-level drunk. Or maybe a non-sad has extremely low populations of meh bacteria that steal the food from more aggressive alcohol-waste bacteria.

This is based off of hubby snacking on home-made pasta experiments all day when it also happened to also be the tasting day for the first live-yeast beer. (The end result could have been a lot messier if he weren't able to hold his own with my alcoholic self in a drinking contest.)

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

Dude what you're doing is binging. Just because you're starting tomorrow doesn't mean you indulge today. I wish you the best of luck though! I know what has helped me is slowly weaning myself off grains (I cut off pasta and bread for a month, and this week took off cereal).

a: to be fair, there is a difference between binging once (or even once a year) for that purpose and binging regular as part of an eating disorder Unless he finds himself engaging in this sort of behavior regularly, I think it's not the end of the world.

b: yes. Honestly, it doesn't even take that much anymore. If we go a birthday party and I have, say, cake and ice cream (which I'd say happens twice a year or so now) I get that feeling. And that's because you sort of are drunk. Sugar processes in very much the same way as alcohol in your system and your blood sugar spiking is not exactly like getting drunk, but it can be similar. You'll come down off it much faster, but the hangover can be just as bad. I do not envy you tomorrow.

Level 3 Human Ranger
STR: 9 DEX: 5.25 STA: 14.5 CON: 5.5 WIS: 16 CHA: 5.5 
My Current Challenge

a: to be fair, there is a difference between binging once (or even once a year) for that purpose and binging regular as part of an eating disorder Unless he finds himself engaging in this sort of behavior regularly, I think it's not the end of the world.

I know Smazzon was just concerned, that's all :)

I'm not a 'carb junkie' anymore, although I probably indulged on weekends more than I should have in the past, haha.

I've been going close to 90% paleo since September 4th (and mostly succeeding... some days were 80%). In the end, my 'bachelor party' for carbs had a purpose. I KNEW that I would feel drained the next day, tired as frack, worn out. It was a simple reminder to me of how good the PaleoOkay had been working for me.

I just did NOT expect to start staggering, and slurring, and my brain was all fuzzy, just like pounding back beers or vodka (ack!)

Even my wife and son were wondering if I had started drinking again, :(

I'm literally surprised. I guess it doesn't hit everyone the same. If I were to eat like that, I'd have been nursing a dehydration headache the next day. You're lucky.

Well, I DO drink a boatload of water every day. For the past two years (since I started losing weight), I've replaced sodas with water (former soda junkie here). My doctor was actually concerned with the amount of water I was drinking, until I explained that I had replaced two pots of coffee and several daily sodas with water.

That may have been the one thing saving me from the dehydration and hangover that was talked about in this thread.

By the way, thank you ALL for your input and support! Gods, I'm so glad I joined this rebellion :)

Just Fracking DO it!

Archived