Forums are back in action! ×

Comic Books and Graphic Novels: What are you reading?

Raikas

My favorites right now are Daredevil, Hawkeye, Batman, Thor: God of Thunder (most metal comic book I've ever read), Swamp Thing, Avengers, and Secret Avengers. I'm really liking the new Superior Spider-Man more than I thought I would. I read Justice League out of sheer fandom than anything else.

However, my favorite comics are the ones I read in trades. They simply read better that way. Locke & Key (coming to an end...sad face) and Sweet Tooth (likewise). I generally like anything non-superhero that Scott Snyder and Jeff Lemire write (Snyder does supers better than Lemire, but they both do non-super stuff WAY better than capes and tights).

Does anybody else think that Marvel is just really owning it lately? The Marvel NOW stuff has been amazing! Age of Ultron is even really good.

Level 2 Human Ranger

STR [5] DEX [4.25] STA [3] CON [4] WIS [6] CHA [6.25]

Current Challenge

My Introduction

"Blood and sweat washes away pain and fear."

Current Challenge Goals:

My boyfriend and I are currently getting through Fables together. I'm not a real comic book fan but I love traditional fairytales and the plot(s) of the series are really cool. 

The bf also wants to start The Sandman series since he heard that was good. 

I read the Japanesse manga Vampire Knight when I was... 17? Lol it's a corny vampire romance novel with incest. Once I have more money I might start buying copies of Sailor Moon since I loved watching the show when I was little and heard that the manga was much better. She was my hero growing up (along with Xena the Warrior Princess). 

Sandman is one of the greatest comics ever, and if you love traditional fairytales/folktales then you'll love it. Read that one together also!

Level 2 Human Ranger

Current Challenge

My Introduction

Current Challenge Goals:

Marvel unlimited subscriber: read from House of M to Civil War + tie ins. Planet Hulk = amazing. New Avengers circa 2007 > Mighty avengers, but both good titles. Ultimate X-men for something different. Immortal Iron Fist with Aja art. Current Hawkeye.

Bavarian Ranger -- Level twoStrength 5 Dexterity 4 Stamina 5 Constitution 1 Wisdom 5 Charisma 5 My Epic Quest Challenge #1  Current Challenge

Future goal inspiration from Kurt Vonnegut "Like so many Americans, she was trying to construct a life that made sense from things she found in gift shops.â€

I prefer the collections, so I can read through several issues at once.

• Hellboy
  • Locke & Key
  • Walking Dead (have read the first ominbus; I have the second omnibus now but can't make myself open it (it got so dark!))
  • I have a few of the Angel collections and all of the Firefly (so far)
  • Lovecraft anthologies (I think I have 3 of them)
  • Girl Genius
  • Doctor Who/Star Trek TNG cross-over
  • I got Cursed Pirate Girl as a gift recently, but haven't cracked it yet.

I want to get the Buffy omnibus. I was reading it issue-by-issue when season 8 started, but eventually couldn't keep up, then gave up.

My Battle Log

"When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow." - Anais Nin

My 'to-read' list is painfully long...

As for what I'm currently reading: I'm part way through the Walking Dead, it's going slowly because I'm doing it by buying them (library doesn't stock them, sadly), and I can't justify the costs all the time, no matter how small.

Also about to start on the Sandman series, got given the first volume a while back and never got around to reading it.

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

My 'to-read' list is painfully long...

As for what I'm currently reading: I'm part way through the Walking Dead, it's going slowly because I'm doing it by buying them (library doesn't stock them, sadly), and I can't justify the costs all the time, no matter how small.

Also about to start on the Sandman series, got given the first volume a while back and never got around to reading it.

You are going to love Sandman. I wish I could read it again for the first time.

Level 2 Human Ranger

Current Challenge

My Introduction

Current Challenge Goals:

now, i am on the Longshot miniseries of X-Men.

This reminds me that I have another guilty pleasure to confess to - X-Factor (yes, X-men universe - no, not the TV talent show).  I'm always a little on the fence when it comes to Peter David's writing, but it's been striking the right balance between soap opera, action, and cheeseball crossover events.

Wood Elf Assassin
  -- Level 10 --
STR 26 | DEX 13 | STA 19 | CON 7 | WIS 14 | CHA 14

This is my current pull list. Half of it is all-ages comics that I read with my 9-year-old son. I've also been getting Doctor Who trade paperbacks from IDW (reprinting the current American series) and Panini (reprinting comics from the UK magazine) and the Fantagraphics hardcovers of Carl Barks' work on Uncle Scrooge/Donald Duck.

• Adventure Time
  • Batman Lil Gotham
  • Bravest Warriors
  • Fantastic Four
  • FF
  • Flash
  • Garfield
  • Invincible
  • My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic
  • My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic Micro-Series
  • Regular Show

Gyro, level 2 Hill Dwarf scoutSTR 1|DEX 2|STA 1|CON 3|WIS 4|CHA 2

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Accountibilibuddy Group: Consulting Knights in the TARDIS

Previous Challenge

"Ad Astra Per Aspera!"

Rereading Sandman.

I have an almost complete set that I compiled a few years ago, mostly trades with singles to plug some gaps. Then I found out they released shiny new editions.

Only a few issues left to go on that, and then I'll flip a coin to choose between either:

• That Doctor Who/TNG crossover comic
  • Or the Pacific Rim prequel.

For comic books I am reading; Adventure time with Fionna and cake, I love spin-off comics!

One thing i hate about comics are the ones that pretty much take a show and paste it into comic book form.

Like with Adventure Time series. It took me 6 volumes to realize that it's just the show in comic book form...

a couple graphic novels i read are: Black bird, Kimi ni Todoke, and Yotsuba&!

Human Adventurer

Level 0

|| STR: 0 || DEX: 0 || STA: 0 || CON: 0 || WIS: 0 || CHA: 0 ||

---

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."

For comic books I am reading; Adventure time with Fionna and cake, I love spin-off comics!

One thing i hate about comics are the ones that pretty much take a show and paste it into comic book form.

Like with Adventure Time series. It took me 6 volumes to realize that it's just the show in comic book form...

So do you like the Fionna & Cake mini-series but not the regular Adventure Time title? Are you getting Candy Capers? I read the Marceline & the Scream Queens series with my son and we really enjoyed it.

In my opinion, the best TV-to-comic adaptation out currently is My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. They pack so much content into a single issue and there is so much fan service (Doctor Whooves for instance...).

Gyro, level 2 Hill Dwarf scoutSTR 1|DEX 2|STA 1|CON 3|WIS 4|CHA 2

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Accountibilibuddy Group: Consulting Knights in the TARDIS

Previous Challenge

"Ad Astra Per Aspera!"

My monthly pull list:  Batman, The Dark Knight, Batman & Robin, Detective Comics, Batman & Superman, Knightwing, Batgirl, Superman, Action Comics, Superman Unchained, Firestorm, The Flash, Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, GL New Guardians, Red Lanterns, Justice League, Aquaman, The Superior Spider-man, & Deadpool. 

As you can see I favor DC.   

I'm also about to start reading Ender's Game in the next week or two.  My buddy got me The Ultimate Guide To The Galaxy for my birthday so that is also on deck.  

GO GATORS!!!

Just got FF #6-9 from the library.  Batman Year Zero is uberbat-tastic.  Hawkeye doesn't disappoint.  Dark Avengers circa 2009.  If you haven't, read "I Kill Giants" by Joe Kelly. If you have, reread it.  And listen to the Talking Comics podcast.     

Bavarian Ranger -- Level twoStrength 5 Dexterity 4 Stamina 5 Constitution 1 Wisdom 5 Charisma 5 My Epic Quest Challenge #1  Current Challenge

Future goal inspiration from Kurt Vonnegut "Like so many Americans, she was trying to construct a life that made sense from things she found in gift shops.â€

Archived