Forums are back in action! ×

iPad gen 1?

DaygloNirvana

I know squat about iPads, except that a few of my friends have them. I'm familiar with Mac's desktop OS though.

My question is that a friend of mine has a 1st gen iPad he might be giving away, and I know they were discontinued in March of '11. Is it worth trying to play around with this thing, or should it just go the way of the dodo? Suggestions appreciated!

“No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.â€

~ Buddha

Fitocracy | My Blog | Shiny Dayglo Battle Log

He's giving it away? Might as well take it. You can't upgrade the OS to iOS 5, but I still use mine quite bit. Of course, that's cuz I'm too cheap to buy a new one :)

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

I'm sorry, did I really say iOS 5? I meant iOS 6. Of course, they just released the 4th Gen yesterday (a mere 7 months after the 3rd Gen came out). So, if your friend wants any money for it, I wouldn't bother. But, for free it might be worth playing around with.

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Thanks. I was just wondering if it was worthwhile, or if the lack of OS updates and the discontinued product would make it essentially a useless brick. Thanks for the suggestion on how much to pay for it. I'm guessing he won't even ask that much. He got it free from a friend who had upgraded, and he never uses it now.

“No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.â€

~ Buddha

Totally - I think they're "upgrading" ipads/ipods/iphones way too fast. Granted, I don't own a smartphone, and I get to use my partner's Kindle on occasion.

At the moment, both my computers are broken anyways (desktop and netbook).

~ Buddha

Totally - I think they're "upgrading" ipads/ipods/iphones way too fast. Granted, I don't own a smartphone, and I get to use my partner's Kindle on occasion.

Eek. That would be like my 9th circle of hell or something!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Elven Ranger

STR - 7.2 Dex - 2 Sta - 7 Con - 4 Wis - 3 CHA - 4

"Do or Do Not. There is no try."

"Why do we fall sir? So we might learn to pick ourselves up ."

Round 2 - Faster, Stronger, Leaner and more Pious?

Lefeux's Ranger Conquest

Workout Log

Unfortunately on the phone end at least there's tons of pressure on the retail side to crank out a new model every year. As people's contracts roll over the providers need a constant supply of "new" stuff to push to get us to sign back up again. If there's no new latest and greatest iPhone available when someone's mobile plan comes up for a hardware upgrade, the provider is going to sell them someone else's phone.

Affekonig, level 6 Númenórean Druid STR 10|DEX 12|STA 10.5|CON 8|WIS 7|CHA 6.5
My question is that a friend of mine has a 1st gen iPad he might be giving away, and I know they were discontinued in March of '11.

Take it! I have one that my stepdad gave me when he got his new one and Iv've found it very useful for reading coding manuals (color) and I LOVE the Planimeter app that allows me to calculate area of pastures easily.

Lots you can do with it.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

if you dont want it i will take it i use the orginal motorola droid like a tablet as i have no phone service on it

lvl 1Half Orc Ranger

STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | CON: 4 | STA: 1 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

We are Rangers.

We walk in the dark places no others will enter.

We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.

First Challenge

http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?17992-Shagy-s-Pull-head-out-of-_______

I haven't heard back from him on it. Last I heard he said he "needs to find it". Shows how much use he's getting out of it!

I saw the info on the MS Surface too. I might invest in that when finances improve. Though the website doesn't have the info for the Win8 Pro edition.

~ Buddha

Unfortunately on the phone end at least there's tons of pressure on the retail side to crank out a new model every year. As people's contracts roll over the providers need a constant supply of "new" stuff to push to get us to sign back up again. If there's no new latest and greatest iPhone available when someone's mobile plan comes up for a hardware upgrade, the provider is going to sell them someone else's phone.

well the whole "new" thing for apple works great, because they are so many diehards out there that "HAVE TO" get the new one as soon as it goes out, contract or no contract, once that new version is out suddenly my amazing newish ipad/iphone is a piece of garbage cus the newer one came out.

have you guys seen the video where they are interviewing people about the new iphone 5 just before it actually came out and said they had the new iphone 5 and asked people to try it out and see what they thot, then handed them the 4s?

there was quite a few people who literally had the 4s is their other hand and were talking about how much better this "new" one was, not realizing it was the same thing as what they had.

quite entertaining to watch actually.

but in answer to the original question. yes it's definitely worth messing around on. just don't become an apple crazy zombie!

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mark, Level 2 Giant Ranger

STR 4.5|DEX 2|STA 1|CON 3.25|WIS 5.25|CHA 4.75

[/TABLE]
but in answer to the original question. yes it's definitely worth messing around on. just don't become an apple crazy zombie!

Not a chance. I make it a point to know a little bit of everything. I'm hoping to try out Win8 next week, my netbook (until recently) was running Ubuntu, and it wouldn't bother me to have an Apple product.

~ Buddha

Archived