Forums are back in action! ×

Completed my first 5k!

jjhatch

Hey everyone, I'm happy to say that I completed my first 5k this morning!

A little background... I started losing weight and exercising in January (lost over 50 lbs since then), but didn't take up running until the end of July. I was doing the c25k program while looking for a "fun" 5k to do. I came across an ad for the Formula Run here in Austin, and decided to sign up for it. The Formula Run is actually a little more than a 5k, at 3.4 miles, as it takes place on the new Fomula 1 track (Circuit of the Americas). I literally jumped at the chance to run this, because you get to run on the racetrack itself!

It was an amazing experience. It was really cool to be able to run on the track, especially since it's brand new (first race is in two weeks). It also did not feel like 3.4 miles at all, when I got to the final turn I thought "That's it?" And I beat my goal! I wanted to get done in under 45 minutes and managed to do it in 40:54.

Only thing that sucked about it was the traffic was HELL. Only 5,000 people were there, and in 2 weeks there's going to be 120,000! The only roads leading to the track are two-lane country roads too, haha. Also, they were STILL doing construction on the complex.

I'm definitely signing up for it again next year. So awesome.

Congratulations! Running is awesome keep it up.

Oh and the loss of 50lbs? Thats excellent!

Lusitanian Druid, Level 9
STR: 13 | DEX: 15 | STA: 17 | CON: 22 | WIS: 25 | CHA: 25

“We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.†- Aristotle

Current Challenge: Living the Good Life II Past: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th,  8th9th, 10th11th, 12th

Goal: 1001 Steps on the Road to a Home -> 18/348 in 2015 

5.27%
5.27%

Goal: loose 9KG in 2015 -> 1.5KG lost 

16.67%
16.67%

Archived