Forums are back in action! ×

Hi, and reasons why I'm here.

Hello,

I guess this started a few weeks ago when my back really began to bother me.

I work in an office, in front of a computer, 8-9 hours at a time, then come home and sit in front of the computer some more, to waste time. I have a gym at work. I usually hit the treadmill, steep incline, walk as fast as I can. Do that a few times a week.

Then I noticed how I was always in pain. My back was just killing me constantly. And I noticed how I couldn't really do any sort of over-exertion without paying for it for days. I started getting frustrated. Realized what I needed to do is build strength. Eventually, after some very fruitless and frustrating searching, I found this place.

I like this place.

I'm starting at the beginning, literally. The beginners body weight workout, in the free resources page. Started two weeks ago. Couldn't do the full circuit more than once, now I can get through the whole thing, with one modification, I do 10 lunges, not 20. Because I can't do 20. Yet. But I've already moved up from 5 lbs weights to 10 lbs weights. Next week, I will squeeze in two more lunges, then the week after that, two more, then the week after that . . . once I can do 20 lunges per circuit, I'll increase the number of circuits. And once I can do five circuits, and barely feel like I'm breaking a sweat, THEN I'll start the routines in the Rebel Fitness Guide.

Yeah, I still get sore. But it's a different sore. Much different. I'm not shuffling around, wincing. My stride is longer, more sure. I keep touching my thigh and thinking "Wow, I can actually feel the muscle in there." My knees don't burn when I walk up two flights of stairs, even when I'm sore from exercising the day before.

I already feel stronger. It's amazing.

I'm really excited to see where this is going to take me. Don't let the grouchy cat fool you. I'm TOTALLY excited. *grin*

Welcome to the rebellion. It's nice to feel those first steps toward being fit and healthy, congrats on rocking out the BBW. Theres still some time in the current six week challenge, take a look and jump in for what's left of this one on a guild that makes sense to you. Keep calm and awesome on!

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Hi. I love the beginner's body weight workout. You might want to swap one of your circuits for "Rookie B" workout; Rookie A being almost identical to the BBW. That way you can be building up and ready to jump straight to the recruit level workouts which are a lot more fun (at least I think so). Glad you joined and I'll be looking for you on the challenges.

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Hi. I love the beginner's body weight workout. You might want to swap one of your circuits for "Rookie B" workout; Rookie A being almost identical to the BBW. That way you can be building up and ready to jump straight to the recruit level workouts which are a lot more fun (at least I think so). Glad you joined and I'll be looking for you on the challenges.

Oh, hey, thanks for the advice. I don't own the Rebel Fitness Guide yet, so I had no idea about the similarity.

I'm going to presume you have a copy, maybe you can answer a question for me?

How portable is the guide, electronically? I'm sort of new to ebooks and all that, so I'm wondering if I can keep a copy on each of the various computers I have in the house (some spaces are better for doing certain things).

Thanks in advance!

Miss B.

They aren't really eBooks, they're just PDF files. I loaded mine on to my Nook eReader so I could read the guides during my commute & it worked fine. The guides contain links to workout videos on YouTube. If you have it on a computer/tablet in your workout area you could watch the videos for form if you needed to - but you can't do that on a plain eReader; you'll need a tablet or computer. I have my guides in two places; my PC and my eReader - I don't see any reason you couldn't have the info on multiple computers/tablets.

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Many of us desk slaves have low back issues due to weak or shortened hamstrings, and it sounds like you are doing a good job combating this with your body weight exercises. If you are interested here is a link to some good hamstring stretches that can help you combat your low back pain.

http://www.spine-health.com/wellness/exercise/specific-hamstring-stretches-back-pain-relief

Level 2 Hobbit Adventurer
STR: 6 | DEX: 3.8 | CON: 5.95 | STA: 5.9 | WIS: 7.6 | CHA: 4

My Intro Post | My Battle Log | My First Challenge | My Second Challenge
"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." --T.S. Eliot

ACSM Certified Personal Trainer

Archived