Forums are back in action! ×

Positive Input

lifewithryan

So, where do you all turn when you need some positive input?

When the self talk gets negative, or the home life isn't living up to expectations?  When kids won't give you a minute alone, or your spouse/significant other seems to be growing weary of you -- or needs a break if only for a little while, but you take it personally (Maybe THAT'S just me?!?)

Where do you guys go to change the mental input??

Meet Me

Elf Adventurer -- (STR: 2, DEX: 3, STA: 2, CON: 2, WIS: 3,CHA: 3)

"You're not **UNATTRACTIVE**"  -- (This will forever haunt me, but ultimately how I ended up here.)

I find that I am most healthy when the locus of my self worth is internal.

I don't often feel bad, and I usually don't let emotions get in the way of my decisions/actions, but when I do, I usually try to figure out what's making me feel bad and address that situation. If I am powerless to change the situation, then there's no point in feeling bad about it, and I'll go get a beer!

I like to go to YouTube and find videos of various self-help gurus to listen to.  Especially ones who address this locus of control thing that jehan60188 is talking about.  It's difficult to stay positive all the time, but finding ways to be inspired helps.  Also, I'm a newbie here, but I can tell from the tenor of the conversations I'm seeing, and from the articles that Steve writes, that positivity is a big thing in this community.  Talking to people in the forums, like you are now, is probably a good place to start.

Exercise is also supposed to trigger a release of feel good happy hormones, so when this isn't doing it for you, go work out and see if that helps.  

And if all else fails, remember that feeling this way happens to all of us sometimes, and it will eventually pass.

We've all been there, and we're cheering for you! 

Human Adventurer: Level 2
3.75 STR | 0 DEX | 3 STA | 4.5 CON | 7 WIS | 5 CHA

Current Mission: Get it Together, Girl        1st Mission

Ring the bells that still can ring / Forget your perfect offering /

There is a crack in everything / That's how the light gets in.

- Leonard Cohen, "Anthem"

I like to go to YouTube and find videos of various self-help gurus to listen to.  Especially ones who address this locus of control thing that jehan60188 is talking about.  It's difficult to stay positive all the time, but finding ways to be inspired helps.  Also, I'm a newbie here, but I can tell from the tenor of the conversations I'm seeing, and from the articles that Steve writes, that positivity is a big thing in this community.  Talking to people in the forums, like you are now, is probably a good place to start.

Exercise is also supposed to trigger a release of feel good happy hormones, so when this isn't doing it for you, go work out and see if that helps.  

And if all else fails, remember that feeling this way happens to all of us sometimes, and it will eventually pass.

We've all been there, and we're cheering for you! 

from my experience, I've found that 20-30 minutes of cardio (elevated heart rate, sweating, etc) does the trick better than any other workout.

seems though that OP is feeling better, or has no interest in following up?

I'm with Jehan on this one- there's almost no graffiti'd dead-end thought process that 30 minutes running can't get me out of. If there's no space/place to run, then I'm in trouble because my automatic stress reaction is high-fat and sugar foods, which makes me feel bleh, which makes me think negatively, which makes me want comfort foods, which... 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

I also agree with jehan. If i'm feeling bummed out or stressed, I can run for a bit and feel a ton better. It seems to clear up my mind and I can usually find a different perspective on what's bothering me. 

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

My Fathers favourite quote from some song is "This too shall pass."  I always remind myself of that.

When I do start feeling down though I tend to go straight for music.  Sometimes it is hard driving rock, smooth rap, epic classical compositions, catchy pop, or a mix of all of those.  If I do find I can't shake the bad feelings I will head out for a walk around my city.  I usually just play whatever music I am craving and is on my ipod, but sometimes I'll put no headphones on and just let the sounds of the city take me where I need to go. To be honest I don't usually hear the music/city sounds I let my brain go where it needs to to solve the problem.  I guess it it sorta like lucid dreaming but with more walking involved!

And when all else fails I put this on, it was even my alarm to get me up everyday for about half a year.

Myself, I've found meditation to be really useful. I can't really hold the stillness for very long, and sometimes I don't even achieve it. But even in the act of trying, I find that I become really aware of myself - my thoughts, my feelings, where they come from in reaction to stimulus, things like that.

All of a sudden, all the things that make me feel negative don't seem so big. They seem like pieces of a puzzle that I can sort of piece together.

Archived