Forums are back in action! ×

Greetings,

I've decided to join the Rebellion. I've been overweight for a long time in my life. There was a short time period when I was what I would consider a "goal weight" or ideal but that was quickly overshadowed by emotional baggage that seemed to advocate excessive weight as a safety measure. My inner self said,

"Hey, if we are large, then we are in the background, no one looks at us... no one touches us."

And I agreed: for a long time.

Over the past year I've slowly been working to change that mentality though. I started running but ignored my diet only to get irritated and lose motivation. Still... some headway is better than none. I started out lugging 210lbs. on a 5'4" frame and I'm now hovering around 180lbs. 

My plan is to fully rebel against dieting (I've been on them all!) and to really put forth some effort at crafting myself into what **I** want to be, not what someone else wants, nor what the small voice of insufficient feeling tells me I should be. I'm burnt out on just running and want to mix things up. I'm intrigued by the idea that strength training instead of cardio might be the place that I should be focusing... that's a lot different from what you're told growing up!  

So, with great panic, I bestow upon you the starting point photographs (of before I started and where I am in my journey now). I'm glad to know that I'll now have an army at my back whilst I continue to fight battles and ultimately win the war!

Desktop.jpg

Current race/class: 180lb Human Adventurer

Goal: ~130lb Wood Elf Ranger

Redcat, Hero of Rivertown (once known as Teabunneh)

Shapeshifter | Scout | Lvl 2 STR +4 | DEX +2 | STA +6 | CON +7 | WIS +7 | CHA +2Vanquished Challenges: 1 Current ChallengeA Tale of TeaRunning Paleo; Accountability group: Shiny New Scouts

"Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right." - Henry Ford

Hi teabunneh :)

Welcome to the Rebellion! 

It is great that you decided to take matters into your own hands! Doing this for you, and only for you, is the best motivation you can have. As for your nutrition, I stringly recommend Paleo. Remember, the journey to a better you might be a long one, but it is deifnately worth it. It's a long winded path, that changes a lot as you walk it. At some point you will stand in front of a huge Rock, but just after the next bend, there will be a beautiful lake and you'll have a great view. You just have to stick to it! One step after the other, as long as you take steps, even tiny ones, they bring you closer to your goal. Only thing it takes is time, and that passes by by itself :P

Do you have any mid/longterm goals you might want to share? The more people know the more likely you are to succeed. Do you have a battle plan as how to reach the 130lbs you're after?

Level 4 Human Ranger

The only Way to accomplish greatness is to set your goals even higher.

STR: 15 || DEX: 9 || STA: 10

CON: 12 || WIS: 9 || CHA: 6

Check out my challange Thread (4)

Hi teabunneh :)

Welcome to the Rebellion! 

It is great that you decided to take matters into your own hands! Doing this for you, and only for you, is the best motivation you can have. As for your nutrition, I stringly recommend Paleo. Remember, the journey to a better you might be a long one, but it is deifnately worth it. It's a long winded path, that changes a lot as you walk it. At some point you will stand in front of a huge Rock, but just after the next bend, there will be a beautiful lake and you'll have a great view. You just have to stick to it! One step after the other, as long as you take steps, even tiny ones, they bring you closer to your goal. Only thing it takes is time, and that passes by by itself :tongue:

Do you have any mid/longterm goals you might want to share? The more people know the more likely you are to succeed. Do you have a battle plan as how to reach the 130lbs you're after?

For right now I'm working on the Insanity program... I'm not completely in love with it other than it doesn't require any additional equipment than me BUT it's a good start and it gives me a break from running. That should cover the next several weeks in terms of offensive. Improving my diet is certainly on the top of my list as well, I'm hoping to transition to mostly paleo by the end of this current challenge that I just jumped into. I suppose my battle plan for right now could be summed up as:

• Eat mostly paleo
  • Workout 6x a week
  • Also... long term: I want to be able to do pull ups with my kid hanging on to my legs like Athena can... that's an aspiration I never thought I'd have until I saw one of the videos linked here on the site! 

Shapeshifter | Scout | Lvl 2 STR +4 | DEX +2 | STA +6 | CON +7 | WIS +7 | CHA +2Vanquished Challenges: 1 Current ChallengeA Tale of TeaRunning Paleo; Accountability group: Shiny New Scouts

For right now I'm working on the Insanity program... I'm not completely in love with it other than it doesn't require any additional equipment than me BUT it's a good start and it gives me a break from running. That should cover the next several weeks in terms of offensive. Improving my diet is certainly on the top of my list as well, I'm hoping to transition to mostly paleo by the end of this current challenge that I just jumped into. I suppose my battle plan for right now could be summed up as:

• Eat mostly paleo
  • Workout 6x a week
  • Also... long term: I want to be able to do pull ups with my kid hanging on to my legs like Athena can... that's an aspiration I never thought I'd have until I saw one of the videos linked here on the site! 

Paleo is truly awesome! Have you read this about the paleo diet yet? My favourite part is that it is so easy to determine whether things are paleo or not. 

I haven't heard about insanity, but if it works for you it's definately worth doing. 

When you work out 6 times a week, just make sure you give your muscles enough time to regenerate (muscle growth happens during rest!) 

Weighted pullups are an awesome long term goal, best of luck with that :)

Level 4 Human Ranger

The only Way to accomplish greatness is to set your goals even higher.

STR: 15 || DEX: 9 || STA: 10

CON: 12 || WIS: 9 || CHA: 6

Check out my challange Thread (4)

If you're going into strength training, it's best to get on a program.  And working out 6x per week is good, but like substix said, resting your muscles is important because they regenerate and grow.

Yeah, the program I'm doing requires 6 workouts a week but one of the workouts is a "recovery" yoga mat sort of work out so it's much less intense.

Archived