Forums are back in action! ×

Time to stop lurking

Hello! I’ve been lurking around the website and community the last couple of weeks and decided that it’s time to stop and introduce myself in time for the next challenge.

A little about me…I just started my first real-world job about 6 months ago after finishing a master’s in economics. I live in the DC area and absolutely love it. There’s so much to do and see! I discovered after finishing school and starting a desk job (economic data analysis in communications) that I walk a lot less and have to be very intentional about getting exercise. In addition, I always used to use school as an excuse for eating poorly and it was easy to continue. *insert mumbling about being busy*

On diet & fitness…My fitness/health measure up until recently was that I still wear the same size as I did in high school (graduated in 2006), but I realized that I have very little stamina and essentially zero strength and I want to change that. I’ve engaged in various fitness pursuits over the last few years -- water aerobics, yoga, pilates, zumba, running -- but nothing has ever truly stuck. Right between Thanksgiving and Christmas I purchased a Groupon for Jazzercise and fell in love with it. It’s the first type of exercise where I actually want to go and am not just going because I paid for it (although that’s a good incentive too). I also appreciate that it includes strength and I’m looking to build upon my fitness routine with the beginner’s bodyweight workout here. In terms of diet: over the last couple of weeks, my DH and I have started using The Fresh 20. We’re already eating more vegetables and it’s much harder to make excuses when the food is already been purchased and it’s partially prepared.

My nerdy side…It started with Star Wars in elementary school and LoTR in junior high and I’ve been into fantasy and sci-fi novels ever since. I finally have time to read fiction again without feeling guilty that I’m not reading journals. Currently, I’m re-reading Harry Potter at the same time as DH (it took forever, but I finally convince him to read the series).

I’m looking forward to being part of the community here and now it’s off to the challenge boards!

Level 2 Half-elf Adventurer

STR 3.25 | DEX 3.75 | STA 6.5 | CON 6 | WIS 7.25 | CHA 3.75

Intro ~ Challenge 1 ~ Challenge 2

"Sometimes the path of least resistance leads through a minefield"

Welcome Aranona! I hope you find this group as useful as I do. I am currently reading H. Potter (with my wife) as well. Like you, she has read them before, but it is my first time - book 2 currently. I was resistant at first, (mostly because of the first couple of movies (I rarely like movies directed by Chris Columbus) but as the series progressed my interest grew. I brought my wife to Universal Studio's HP World in January and got hooked. If you haven't already and get the opportunity, check out US H Potter's - Hogwart's Castle is amazing. I'm a big fan of LOTR as well - read them about six times.

Anyway, I hope you have a great time leveling up with the folks here....

Telemon Hollowbones
Half-Elf Adventurer (AKA. Dragon Fodder)
Str 6.5 / Dex 7 / Sta 9.5
Con 7 / Wis 6 / Cha 6
Telemon's Battle-log
Current Challenge
Shiny Belt of Endurance
"Don't Dream It, Be It" Frankenfurter

I did jazzercise for a while and liked it except that the instructors always want people whooping.  Darned extroverts.  Glad you joined in.

Thanks! That's definitely true, but it makes me laugh. Usually the instructors are way more excited than anyone else. Guess it's one of the job requirements. :)

Welcome Aranona! I hope you find this group as useful as I do. I am currently reading H. Potter (with my wife) as well. Like you, she has read them before, but it is my first time - book 2 currently. I was resistant at first, (mostly because of the first couple of movies (I rarely like movies directed by Chris Columbus) but as the series progressed my interest grew. I brought my wife to Universal Studio's HP World in January and got hooked. If you haven't already and get the opportunity, check out US H Potter's - Hogwart's Castle is amazing. I'm a big fan of LOTR as well - read them about six times.

Anyway, I hope you have a great time leveling up with the folks here....

I definitely want to go there. It's been awhile since I've been to Orlando and I've never been to Universal Studios (only Disney).

Level 2 Half-elf Adventurer

STR 3.25 | DEX 3.75 | STA 6.5 | CON 6 | WIS 7.25 | CHA 3.75

Intro ~ Challenge 1 ~ Challenge 2

"Sometimes the path of least resistance leads through a minefield"

Archived