Forums are back in action! ×

Employment References - who to ask without tipping off current employer

Starstuff

I find myself in a very frustrating position. I've been at my job for almost a decade, and I'm ready to move on. I have a couple different prospects for a new position, and am at the point of needing employment references. However, my current job is the first job in my field that I got out of college, and every single person that I've ever worked closely with in this field, including all of my managers and managers in other departments I've worked with, are sill employed at the company I'm looking to leave. Since I don't want to tip off my current company that I'm thinking of leaving, I'm completely lost on who I should be asking for references. Help?

only what you take with you

Challenges: Starstuff Wars Episode I, II, III, IV, V, VI  

NF character ~ Fitbit ~ Strava ~ Smashrun ~ MyFitnessPal

Food Log

If you're at the point you need references don't be shy. Just tell them straight up. 'Hey, I'm looking at pursuing a job opportunity, would I be able to use you as a reference?'

It's not like you're betraying them or anything. Being open and honest is the best course of action here. Then when you leave, you end up on good terms with your current manager. Which leads to a better reference. Just make sure you don't say you're leaving because John Doe is an asshole or anything remotely similar. Make it non-personal and they won't take it personally.

Cheers

v1.0

v1.1

People are asking for references before even bringing me in for an interview, so this is by no means a sure thing. My current company recently had massive layoffs, and I'm concerned that if I ask my current manager or co-workers to act as references and don't get either of the positions I need references for, I'll be marking myself to get laid off if we have another round. As my job is currently the only source of income in our household, that would be a very serious problem.

only what you take with you

Challenges: Starstuff Wars Episode I, II, III, IV, V, VI  

NF character ~ Fitbit ~ Strava ~ Smashrun ~ MyFitnessPal

Food Log

I was about to suggest you go with someone that use to work there that you knew well, but you said everyone you've worked closely with is still around. I tend to have a few select colleagues I am close to that I can trust to keep job searching conversations to themselves. Superiors tend to be a bit more difficult, but I have been able to maintain similar trust levels with people more senior than I am.

As for the recent layoffs you mentioned. I know it would be hard to go to one of them if they themselves are still unemployed, but do you know any of them well enough to ask? Maybe one or two that have since found jobs?

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

You have 3 options I see.

You can express that fear to the prospective employers and they may understand, offering only to need references if they decide you are good for the position otherwise, that way they only call after they've basically decided on you and want to verify that you're a good choice. The drawback is it will likely give others a leg up as they have references they can call from the get go.

The other choice is to find someone at work you trust not to use that type of judgement and won't take your looking elsewhere personally as well as someone who won't blab about it. Think about if someone at your work came to you and told you they were looking for opportunities to advance their career, would you hold it against them or take it personally? You can also voice that those very layoffs may be a reason you are looking as you woud be interested in more stability. That would make them feel like a real jerk if they then had a hand in getting you laid off, and people don't like to feel that way and will make decisions to avoid it. I don't think it's likely that they will terminate you because you are looking by the way.

Finally, what about those that got laid off already? Would they make good references?

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I think that any employer at your work you have a good relationship with will be sorry to see you go, but at the same time be happy to help you begin to move up in the world, especially if you have been a good worker while under their employment. Just remember that when approaching them about getting references and why you need them, it is not about what you say, but HOW you say it.

Archived