Forums are back in action! ×

A Nerd's Home: How Do You Decorate?

Loren Wade

Comic books. Comic books EVERYWHERE.

Seriously, I'm way behind on my bagging-and-boarding. I have about seven months worth of comics just laying around. Not really decor, mind you, but one can taste the nerdiness in the air.

As far as the actual, meant-to-be the decor: my wife has some Japanese-flavored wall hangings and such. I've got my Aragorn and Gandalf action figures in the living room. My office is an homage to comics and video games, with action figures and collectible everywhere. My wife collects Kotobukiya statues of her favorite (mostly female) comic book characters. 

I also have my guns propped against the wall in my office, and the floor is currently taken up by comic book storage boxes that I really need to relocate so I can reclaim that floor space.

Level 2 Human Ranger

STR [5] DEX [4.25] STA [3] CON [4] WIS [6] CHA [6.25]

Current Challenge

My Introduction

"Blood and sweat washes away pain and fear."

Current Challenge Goals:

The boyfriend and I recently inherited his grandmother's house, and we're moving in just a few weeks (one of my challenge goals! Staying on track/schedule with packing/moving/unpacking!)  THIS subject has been pretty hot between the two of us. He would like to get some movie posters framed for the living room wall (UGH! Halloween? Friday the 13th? REALLY??) as well as display his obnoxious bobble head collection. I'm fine with displaying these things, just not in a family room. I like proper grown up decor. Not that I'm against nerd decor... just... I want a nice proper living room. Maybe this is just my age talking.

The upstairs has a nice common room between all of the bedrooms that I'm making into a gaming room for the kids. THAT will be nerdified for sure, but the LR? 

Speaking as a huge horror movie buff myself, I would have to say that I agree with you.

Horror isn't one of those nice, friendly genres that everyone can accept and appreciate upfront. By its very nature, it's shocking and unsettling--and the presence of related paraphernalia triggers that emotional response. So if it's all horror films and horror characters, I don't think its unfair to ask him to relocate that stuff.

I freakin' LOVE horror films and books and I wouldn't dare put a Friday the 13th poster in my living room, even if I did--by some fluke of quantum physics--get the wife's approval.

Now, your Lord of the Rings and Star Wars stuff--that's cool, most people like or at least identify with it, won't scare anyone away or make anyone uncomfortable.

Level 2 Human Ranger

Current Challenge

My Introduction

Current Challenge Goals:

Im too busy playing video games to decorate. I have the same bare walls with cheap basic white paint that was on there when I bought my condo 5 years ago.

Does anyone have a preference between framed posters vs wall scrolls? Price is an issue and framing seems like a deal breaker.

USS & NBAC Masters swim coach

Current: lifter, runner

Former: triathlete, cyclocross racer, NCAA swimmer

Current games: Borderlands 2, Runescape, Star Ocean, Dragon's Dogma

Speaking as a huge horror movie buff myself, I would have to say that I agree with you.

Horror isn't one of those nice, friendly genres that everyone can accept and appreciate upfront. By its very nature, it's shocking and unsettling--and the presence of related paraphernalia triggers that emotional response. So if it's all horror films and horror characters, I don't think its unfair to ask him to relocate that stuff.

I freakin' LOVE horror films and books and I wouldn't dare put a Friday the 13th poster in my living room, even if I did--by some fluke of quantum physics--get the wife's approval.

Now, your Lord of the Rings and Star Wars stuff--that's cool, most people like or at least identify with it, won't scare anyone away or make anyone uncomfortable.

Exactly! I'm fine with the sports memorabilia, the action figures, etc. Just not horror posters, signed or not!

twirlgrrl

Level 1 Adventurer working towards Ranger

STR-3 | DEX-2 | STM-1 | CON-3 | WIS-4 | CHR- 2

twirlgrrl's challenge log

Im too busy playing video games to decorate. I have the same bare walls with cheap basic white paint that was on there when I bought my condo 5 years ago.

Does anyone have a preference between framed posters vs wall scrolls? Price is an issue and framing seems like a deal breaker.

though I love them both, I do prefer wall scrolls.

there is never a sudden revelation, a complete and tidy explanation for why it happened, or why it ends, or Why or Who you are. you want one and I want one, but there isn't one. it comes in bits and pieces, and you stitch them together wherever they fit, and when you are done you hold yourself up, and still there are holes and you are a rag doll, invented, imperfect. and yet you are all that you have, so you must be Enough. there is no other way.

Marya Hornbacher, Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia

though I love them both, I do prefer wall scrolls.

Good deal. I saw some cool music and gaming scrolls on Amazon that I want for around $30 each.

I want to be a classy nerd, not one who looks like they still live in a dorm.

USS & NBAC Masters swim coach

Current: lifter, runner

Former: triathlete, cyclocross racer, NCAA swimmer

Current games: Borderlands 2, Runescape, Star Ocean, Dragon's Dogma

framed posters are a definite preference for me, they turn a 5 dollar poster into art. all the wall scrolls belong to my gf

Level 3 Half Giant Assassin

STR-7 DEX-2 STA-5 CON-2 WIS-4 CHA-3

“We want to see the newest things. That is because we want to see the future, even if only momentarily. It is the moment in which, even if we don't completely understand what we have glimpsed, we are nonetheless touched by it. This is what we have come to call art.†― Takashi Murakami 

73%
73%

The Road to 210lb, Currently at 218lb

Good deal. I saw some cool music and gaming scrolls on Amazon that I want for around $30 each.

I want to be a classy nerd, not one who looks like they still live in a dorm.

well, don't take my vote into account then, lol.

I agree with True_Tech: framed posters are much more presentable.

I, personally, like a little bit more of a playful room (I never grew up), so I like the child-like aspect of wall scolls.

there is never a sudden revelation, a complete and tidy explanation for why it happened, or why it ends, or Why or Who you are. you want one and I want one, but there isn't one. it comes in bits and pieces, and you stitch them together wherever they fit, and when you are done you hold yourself up, and still there are holes and you are a rag doll, invented, imperfect. and yet you are all that you have, so you must be Enough. there is no other way.

Marya Hornbacher, Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia

Very cool thread guys!  Little said I missed it until now.  

Using a Rasterbator, you can make for some pretty cool posters -- I plan to put up a nerdy one once I move into the dorms. This one's an example of how you can be creative with the arrangement:

rasterbator.jpg

The way this one's arranged, I'm reminded of the falling tiles in Aperture. I'd love to make a Portal 2 themed poster like this!

368729357_6d0f4ddde7.jpg

If I ever get a room for a home gym, I think I'm going to do that with an old school Arnold photo.  That would be awesome.  

I have been trying to figure out how to incorporate all of this into my "decor". Sadly, all of it has been lining the walls of my dining area since December.

9131659402_95f13548ab.jpg   9129447747_a5b8f4e352.jpg

9129444829_92bc4ff4ee.jpg   9131656676_1c4209a8cf.jpg

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

I have been trying to figure out how to incorporate all of this into my "decor". Sadly, all of it has been lining the walls of my dining area since December.

The obvious solution to it is to repeat this.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

HAHA! I remember seeing that and wanting to build something similar. The problem is, the "adult" in me is telling me not to display them like a shrine. My current thought is to build a shelf to hold 2-3 at a time (modern, semi-modern, and classic), but with all the wiring and cords to be able to switch them out at anytime. All the classic and semi-moderns can be hooked up via SCART to HDMI adaptor, and the modern ones through HDMI or similar. The only issue is with all of the older power bricks (and that damn Xbox 360 monstrosity of a power cinder block).

*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

I have an idea. It's kind of complex, so grab a beer and a sandwich and settle in for a long read, okay?

Ready?

Okay, here we go.

*ahem* Leave everything just how it is.

There. Hope that didn't take up too much of your time.

Level 2 Human Ranger

Current Challenge

My Introduction

Current Challenge Goals:

I have an idea. It's kind of complex, so grab a beer and a sandwich and settle in for a long read, okay?

Ready?

Okay, here we go.

*ahem* Leave everything just how it is.

There. Hope that didn't take up too much of your time.

HA! Love it and as things are right now, that's exactly how they'll stay. Hell, all of it has been in the same place since December....why change something when it works right? :)

that is AMAZINGGGGGG

HAHA! I remember seeing that and wanting to build something similar. The problem is, the "adult" in me is telling me not to display them like a shrine. My current thought is to build a shelf to hold 2-3 at a time (modern, semi-modern, and classic), but with all the wiring and cords to be able to switch them out at anytime. All the classic and semi-moderns can be hooked up via SCART to HDMI adaptor, and the modern ones through HDMI or similar. The only issue is with all of the older power bricks (and that damn Xbox 360 monstrosity of a power cinder block).

psh tell the adult to shut up!! the shrine is amazing...we just have two book shelves that games and nerd books have to share....and consoles packed away if not in use

that is AMAZINGGGGGG

psh tell the adult to shut up!! the shrine is amazing...we just have two book shelves that games and nerd books have to share....and consoles packed away if not in use

Well, he does annoy me at times :) I have built shelves that I can easily add more to. Bought a VGA cable for the Dreamcast last week to play on my TV, so I'm currently reliving some Dreamcast fun (Crazy Taxi, Shenmue, Daytona USA).

Well, he does annoy me at times :) I have built shelves that I can easily add more to. Bought a VGA cable for the Dreamcast last week to play on my TV, so I'm currently reliving some Dreamcast fun (Crazy Taxi, Shenmue, Daytona USA).

okay so next meetup at your house...build the shelf and nerds will come....

Well, I live with roommates. So I don't get to decorate much besides my own bedroom.

I also don't really feel like decorating it much since I want to get out of this house asap.

I have a Doctor Who poster hanging above my bed. It's of a Dalek.

I have a bookshelf with lots of memorabilia hanging on it, and a bunch of sci-fi/fantasy books.

I have a dragon clock that sits on a lamp/shelf.

My dresser/bookshelf look like they belong in a house in Rivendell (a low/mid-class elf's house, but still).

I still have the box to my new external hard drive and Corsair Vengeance 2000 laying around.

And my computer is in my bedroom.

Also, I have a sword...

So I guess that's nerdy.

*shrug*

But once I get my own place, I has plans, oh yes.

Primal Chai
Race: Human | Class: Adventurer

[Level: 0 | STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0 ]

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."  - Christopher Hitchens

What a cool thread. I had to look around my house to see how it's decorated because...um.....I really don't pay attention.

Other half and I combined houses and kids, so nothing matches and nobody cares.

I'm more of an art and horror nerd myself, so not as much related to scifi and gaming although the hubs does have a couple video game systems.

Several very cool original paintings/art by artists from around the country (lots local here), and about 4,000 books from multiple genres (will read ALL the books). And a huge ass poster in Japanese promoting Amelie. Whenever we travel around the country, we pick up a jigsaw puzzle from there, do it when we get back, and frame it. Eventually, we'll run out of room :)

And a lot of art done by the kids because that's required of course :)

We rent and are moving in a year. Once we buy, I'll probably try harder.

riotgrly

LEVEL 2

Half-Elf STR 5 || DEX 2 || STA 4 || CON 4 || WIS 4 || CHR 2.5

My home office and bedroom have most of my nerdy stuff: a books collage I did during a high school art class that I frames, a map of Middle-Earth, my two Lego Lord of the Rings sets, and all of my books+stamp albums. One wall has a clock that says "professional librarian do not attempt this at home" both of my degrees, the certificate showing my admittance into an honor society, and a shadow box with my undergraduate tassel, medal showing I graduated with honors, and an ornament signifying my participation in an honors event based on family community service.

My bedroom has a poster of the 15th anniversary cover of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, my flattened penny albums, and the majority of my turtle collection (currently sitting at 139).

My living room is rather conservative, the only signs of my nerdiness are my Wii, and the DVD rack that has 7/10 seasons of Smallville, 2 of Stargate Atlantis, Firefly, Battlestar Galactica season 1, and Stargate SG1 season 1. If you would open up the storage space for my movies, that would be a major clue.

My closet floor is housing my Ringwraith costume because I don't have an easy way to store it without it looking like a mess of black fabric. That, and shoving it into a bag so it gets all wrinkly helps make it look old and beat-up.

Level 2 Halfling Adventurer

STR:2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 |

CON: 4 | WIS:7.5 | CHA:2.5 |

| Female | 5'3" | 180lbs | Southpaw |

Strive for progress, not perfection. - Unknown

Battle Log | Personal Blog | Current Challenge

Oh god. This thread. It appeals to me so much. I'm a huge decorating nerd. So there's this problem.

My boyfriend and I are both nerds. Therefore, neither of us are responsible when it comes to buying cool nerd shit.

We have an entire room devoted to miniatures painting and computering. The living room is full of my 400+ vinyl toy collection. There is lowbrow and nerd art all over the walls. I leave videogame-based cross stitches lying around. We have STUFFED full one of those 5x5 square ikea shelves with board and card games and RPGs. We have a library room that is mostly comics and manga and nerd books. We have one of these.

And now we're moving across the country and we have to take it all with us. :nightmare: At least we'll be in good company in nerdy Seattle!

Twi'lek Assassin
Level 1
STR : 1 | DEX : 2 | STA : 1 | CON : 4 | WIS : 4 | CHA : 3
"The Sith won't let us hide. Besides, I'm tired of hiding -- being hunted. I'd rather be the hunter." -Shado Vao

I live in an apartment in Sweden with my girlfriend and son. It's with three rooms, a bathroom and kitchen. 

Nerd Central - This is where the magic happens. From here i read great NF articles, work, play games, and run my website www.aka-store.com

image.jpg

Living room - In the "tv-bech" you can find a Sega Mega drive, Nintendo 8 bit, Super Nintendo.

image.jpg

DSC_0095.jpg

Kitchen

image.jpg

My son Benjamin's room

image.jpg

Bedroom

image.jpg

image.jpg

"Opportunity does not knock, it presents itself when you beat down the door." 

I live in an apartment in Sweden with my girlfriend and son. It's with three rooms, a bathroom and kitchen. 

Nerd Central - This is where the magic happens. From here i read great NF articles, work, play games, and run my website www.aka-store.com

Living room - In the "tv-bech" you can find a Sega Mega drive, Nintendo 8 bit, Super Nintendo.

Kitchen

My son Benjamin's room

Bedroom

I love all of this! So clean....perfect minimalist look! I love the speakers for the computer and the random NES controller (also the one on the bookshelf adds a nice look :))

Archived