Forums are back in action! ×

Annoying comments you hear all the time

I had a new one today. I really should know better than to talk to my colleagues about my fitness journey anymore...

Anyway, this morning I achieved a new PR: 2 knee push ups on the floor. (huge deal for me). I was telling that to my coworker. Her reaction?

"Wow, you got weak little arms". 

My (silent) reaction : BITCH!

Then she goes on to tell me how she could do 25 chin ups back when she was a competitive swimmer, etc. etc.

Diplomacy check: fumble!

• Like 1

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

I had a new one today. I really should know better than to talk to my colleagues about my fitness journey anymore...

Anyway, this morning I achieved a new PR: 2 knee push ups on the floor. (huge deal for me). I was telling that to my coworker. Her reaction?

Then she goes on to tell me how she could do 25 chin ups back when she was a competitive swimmer, etc. etc.

^ I second that reaction, because, wow, what an unsupportive bitch.

• Like 1

You're hilarious and I just had to quote you and tell you :D This made me laugh SO HARD.

That would be a super hardcore way to go! If it were to happen I hope someone would paint it...

• Like 1

Pirate Kender Druid, Level 3

1.5 STR | 1 DEX | 1 STA | 7 CON | 3 WIS | 3 CHA

Specializes in flexibility, determination, promoting peace and giggling

Spoiler

"And though she be but little, she is fierce." -Shakespeare

"She loved life and life loved her back."

"It does not take a majority to prevail, only an irate, tireless minority keen on setting brush fires of freedom in the minds of men."

-Samuel Adams

"Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world I feel like I can't take it, like my heart's going to cave in." -Ricky Fitts, American Beauty

"I owe to God the gifts given me, to God alone. Without Him I am nothing." -Sergei Rachmaninoff

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God. -Matthew 5:9

The appropriate response is, "yeah... Back WHEN. How many can you show me now?"

Sent from an alternate universe using Alien tech.

• Like 3

----

Don't Chew what you should Eschew!

Ok, next time: 

Her: 'Wow you got weak little arms.'

You: 'Yeah. I'm like T-Rex. It adds to the wrath.'

Her:' 'Well I used to 25 chin ups when I was a competitive swimmer...'

You: 'Ha! What stroke were you doing, then?'

Her: 'Err...front crawl. Why?'

You: 'Last time I checked, you needed to be horizontal for that.'

• Like 1

I'm really sick of seeing people write "could of" and "would of" all the time. It's "could've" and "would've" because it's a contraction for "could have" and "would have."

It's not even an eggcorn it's just terrible grammar that actually makes no sense.

Igleast they spell it out.

----

...?

What, you've never heard anyone say "igleast?" It means "At least."

Maybe it's just a Midwestern thing.

What also really bugs me is when people say then when they mean than. There's this nutritionist with a PhD whose blog I was reading and throughout she used then where she should have used than. It really lessened her credibility in my eyes.

----

I got signed up for a Spartan race on Monday, and at the moment I am going to the gym 3 days a week (Monday, Wednesday and Friday). After telling my colleagues about the race on Monday, I came in on the Tuesday and one of them said "Given up on the gym already?". I just said no, it's my off day to which the reply was "You need to go every day if your gonna be able to do that race!"

The guy is 20 stone. Literally 20 stone. Walking up the stairs to our first floor office is a struggle for him.

Grrrr....

• Like 1

Vido Ardes (VEE-DOW ARR-DEZ)
Race: Roegadyn | Class: Ranger | Job: Mercenary | Stats: STR 4 DEX 3 STA 4 CON 2 WIS 0 CHA 1 | Level: 1
EXP to Level 2: Complete 3 sessions at gym per week, for the next 4 weeks | Progress: 3 / 4
Side Quest: Buy new gym clothes

My Battle Log | My Epic QuestMy Fitness Pal Food & Exercise Diary

"Strength without determination means nothing, and determination without strength is equally useless." - Godo Kisaragi (FFVII)

I got signed up for a Spartan race on Monday, and at the moment I am going to the gym 3 days a week (Monday, Wednesday and Friday). After telling my colleagues about the race on Monday, I came in on the Tuesday and one of them said "Given up on the gym already?". I just said no, it's my off day to which the reply was "You need to go every day if your gonna be able to do that race!"

They guy is 20 stone. Literally 20 stone. Walking up the stairs to our first floor office is a struggle for him.

Grrrr....

People like that are the fitness equivalent of backseat drivers.

• Like 2

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

People like that are the fitness equivalent of backseat drivers.

Amen, and even if you do know what you are talking about, giving advice should be helpful not smarmy or combative.

Vido Ardes (VEE-DOW ARR-DEZ)
Race: Roegadyn | Class: Ranger | Job: Mercenary | Stats: STR 4 DEX 3 STA 4 CON 2 WIS 0 CHA 1 | Level: 1
EXP to Level 2: Complete 3 sessions at gym per week, for the next 4 weeks | Progress: 3 / 4
Side Quest: Buy new gym clothes

My Battle Log | My Epic QuestMy Fitness Pal Food & Exercise Diary

"Strength without determination means nothing, and determination without strength is equally useless." - Godo Kisaragi (FFVII)

Oh my gosh, I got back home from Ireland and I think every single person I know has been grilling me about Primal.

Friendly-like, and with understanding and the tone of "oh, that's interesting; I wonder if it would work for me".

But I cannot wait until it becomes just a thing I do rather than a novelty.

The joys of being a source of knowledge! Still, don't be mad at them. They actually want to better themselves instead of belittling you! That counts for a lot! Print a few cards with Internet sources of information. Just hand them to anyone who's interested. :D

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

:P

One of the things that gets me is when people say "I could care less" when they mean "I couldn't care less"

Hm. Never was sure which way to go on this one. On the one hand, "I could care less" could mean that I'm already giving it more care than it deserves. Where on the other hand "I could not care less" means that I've already reached rock bottom of my caring?

So, possibly depends on how much sarcasm you wish to inject?

I find "ravel" and "unravel" perplexing. Don't they actually mean the same thing?

----

Hm. Never was sure which way to go on this one. On the one hand, "I could care less" could mean that I'm already giving it more care than it deserves. Where on the other hand "I could not care less" means that I've already reached rock bottom of my caring?

So, possibly depends on how much sarcasm you wish to inject?

I find "ravel" and "unravel" perplexing. Don't they actually mean the same thing?

Same with "regardless" and "irregardless".  Ugh.

Level 3 Human Assassin

STR 6 - DEX 2.25 - STA 4.5 - CON 5.5 - WIS 6 - CHA 6

Introduction

Previous Battle Log     Current Battle Log

First Challenge     Previous Challenge     Current Challenge

Holiday Mini-Challenge

日本語 PvP

What do we say to the god of failure?  NOT TODAY.

Same with "regardless" and "irregardless".  Ugh.

That one is actually easy: irregardless does not exist.

"Regardless" means "without regard", meaning that you don't care, basically. If you add the "irr" prefix, which also means "without", you turn that into a double negative. "Without without regard".

People think the word appeared as a bastard hybrid of the words "regardless" and "irrespective". For example, I could say "I am going to continue eating junk regardless\irrespective of the consequences." 

It's likely that "ravel" and "unravel" had a similar history, considering that they mean the same thing. Over time the incorrect form just became part of the common parlance.

And that was the language lesson of the day. :)

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

Irregardless very much exists... thanks to usage determining accuracy.

ir·re·gard·less - adverb \ˌir-i-ˈgärd-ləs\

Definition of IRREGARDLESS
nonstandard:  regardless

Usage Discussion of IRREGARDLESS

Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.†There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. 

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

Irregardless very much exists... thanks to usage determining accuracy.

ir·re·gard·less - adverb \ˌir-i-ˈgärd-ləs\

Definition of IRREGARDLESS
nonstandard:  regardless

Usage Discussion of IRREGARDLESS

Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.†There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. 

Behind the times I have fallen. yoda.gif

• Like 1

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.