Forums are back in action! ×

Annoying comments you hear all the time

Yeah, I get asked to open jars and move furniture, packages, groceries etc. for people all the time. If I like the person I find it flattering.

• Like 3

Level 2. Saiyan Warrior - Training with the Adventurers

STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 4 | WIS: 1 | CHA: 1

Powering Up Phase 1 - Shedding the Fat

Starting Weight: 250lbs | Current Weight: 215lbs | Goal Weight: 200lbs

I think it's flattering too.

Also I rely a lot on others...

Before I could drive (which was very recent), people drove me around.

Before I got strong, people helped me lift heavy stuffs.

Before my English was good enough to defend myself, people stood up for me.

Even now, I ask people for information, directions, advice, and motivation.

I also need help reaching the top cabinet... :(

Now it's time I return the favor and keep the cycle going round.

However, Maleficarum, I'm sorry for your lost vacation time and I hope you get it back soon!!

• Like 4

^^^All of it.

But...

I like being stronger than my peers in a selfish way. I like to lift something one handed or with arms extended while they hug it desperately to their torsos, red faced. It makes me smile, after all I worked hard for this.

I'm also kind of a dick.

• Like 7

The past is only smoke in a dream.

Lvl 6 Ranger Berzerker

STR 9 DEX 4 STA 9 CON 8 WIS 2 CHA 8

Barfly ain't even tryin'...

^^^All of it.

But...

I like being stronger than my peers in a selfish way. I like to lift something one handed or with arms extended while they hug it desperately to their torsos, red faced. It makes me smile, after all I worked hard for this.

I'm also kind of a dick.

Hahahaha yes, this too - very much. As much as I try to control it, I LOVE to show off

Current Challenge: Developing Roots

I absolutely LOVE when I am at work and we need to move a very heavy patient and three people go to help and the person asking for help is like "nah it's ok I just need Jenn"

LOVE it

I will be strong and do your grunt work ;)

• Like 3

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

THIS. I just started weightlifting with a trainer three weeks ago and whenever it comes up when people ask what I've been up to workout wise I get the 'Oh, watch out you'll get all bulky' 

Or 'you're going to look like Arnold!' 

.....I'm a 5'3 125 pound chick, sure I'll look like Arnold.  :offended:

I gave up trying to explain myself. 

I just say I'm trying to look like Arnold. "I want to get big. I want to be HUGE." Generally the only move they can then make is to say I will be ugly, and people - not always, but often - don't want to say that, so they're backed into a corner and they drift off. Checkmate!

• Like 2

warrior : level 8

str: 20.75 | dex: 13.75 | sta: 11.75 | con: 9.75 | wis: 8.25 | cha: 4.75

''Difficult' and 'impossible' are cousins often mistaken for one another, with very little in common' - Locke Lamora

I just say I'm trying to look like Arnold. "I want to get big. I want to be HUGE." Generally the only move they can then make is to say I will be ugly, and people - not always, but often - don't want to say that, so they're backed into a corner and they drift off. Checkmate!

when i told my dad i had ordered some weights he acted really concerned and said that's not what girls do. he's not usually that type of person so it was very weird to hear from him. but he'll eat his words as soon as i prove him wrong.

when i'm offered one of my no-no foods he will often tell me it's good for me and i should have it. chocolate cake or ice cream for example. i think he might try to push the foods onto me so that he doesn't feel so bad about eating them himself.

Level 2 Wood Elf, Adventuring for Ranger status

STR 4 | DEX 2 | STA 1.75 | CON 1.75 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

71.6%
71.6%

> 65kg

0%
0%

100 days crisp free

That's usually it. I never really thought about it until I moved out, and my parents freaked out the moment I did anything that wasn't sitting on a sofa. They're very obese, sedentary people who like to consume extraordinary amounts of food and alcohol, so when I took up sports and activities and drank very little and ate well, the only thing they can think of to say is "Don't do that. That's... weird. That's different. No one will like you. It's not good for you. You're boring. Stop it." I found it a really strange reaction, not just over the top but completely irrational, and it's really common.

People who are happy with their own lives won't say anything or will be normal, pleasant people about it even if they disagree or aren't all that interested (you can still be civil). People who are very unhappy with their own lives and their choices see your actions as holding up a mirror to their own, and they react angrily. Your actions are like an accusation to them, because their guilt already nags at them.

• Like 6

warrior : level 8

str: 20.75 | dex: 13.75 | sta: 11.75 | con: 9.75 | wis: 8.25 | cha: 4.75

''Difficult' and 'impossible' are cousins often mistaken for one another, with very little in common' - Locke Lamora

My dad and brother used to make fun of me too for 'torturing myself' and 'waste time' on exercising. After they saw the changes, though, it's different.

Now my dad has a pedometer attached to his waist and my brother runs 20k on weekends. 

• Like 1

very well put, Tanuki.

My dad and brother used to make fun of me too for 'torturing myself' and 'waste time' on exercising. After they saw the changes, though, it's different.

Now my dad has a pedometer attached to his waist and my brother runs 20k on weekends. 

yeah, when i first lost 30lbs there was an obvious difference in my body shape that my family noticed. they were pretty baffled as to why i would do that but still asked me how i did it. have yet to really open their eyes about their habits though.

Level 2 Wood Elf, Adventuring for Ranger status

STR 4 | DEX 2 | STA 1.75 | CON 1.75 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

71.6%
71.6%

> 65kg

0%
0%

100 days crisp free

Along THOSE lines... "How come I keep gaining weight and you keep losing weight?!"

The responses I want to go with are:

• Black magic.
  • I'm directly beneath the Earth's moon every time I weigh myself.
  • I eat only hydrogenated margarine.  Hydrogen is lighter than air.
  • I sleep-lift.
  • I've discovered a new food group: air.
  • Because matter can neither be created or destroyed, simply redistributed.
  • I bribe the scale.
  • I wear vertical stripes, you wear horizontal.
  • I'm descended from theropods... all my bones are hollow.
  • I exsanguinate myself before all weigh-ins.
  • I've genetically engineered lettuce to contain Red Bull.
  • Heroin.
  • Like 10

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

That's usually it. I never really thought about it until I moved out, and my parents freaked out the moment I did anything that wasn't sitting on a sofa. They're very obese, sedentary people who like to consume extraordinary amounts of food and alcohol, so when I took up sports and activities and drank very little and ate well, the only thing they can think of to say is "Don't do that. That's... weird. That's different. No one will like you. It's not good for you. You're boring. Stop it." I found it a really strange reaction, not just over the top but completely irrational, and it's really common.

People who are happy with their own lives won't say anything or will be normal, pleasant people about it even if they disagree or aren't all that interested (you can still be civil). People who are very unhappy with their own lives and their choices see your actions as holding up a mirror to their own, and they react angrily. Your actions are like an accusation to them, because their guilt already nags at them.

Holy wow... of all the ones I've heard, this is new!!!

But your take on it in the 2nd paragraph is very true :( Hopefully with the changes they see in your health and life, they'll realize exactly how valuable what you're doing is, and maybe consider changing their own patterns so they can stay around a little longer

Along THOSE lines... "How come I keep gaining weight and you keep losing weight?!"

• Black magic.
  • I sleep-lift.
  • I bribe the scale.
  • Heroin.

I LOVE this list - i may have to use some of these

Double post dance!!

• Black magic.
  • I sleep-lift.
  • I bribe the scale.
  • Heroin.

* I hold in my flatulation 6 hours before I weight in. 

Thought of another. This is not toward me, but toward my friend who could do handstand push ups.

"Yeah dude, I probably could do that to. It's just the matter of balance."

Thing is: it needs courage, practice, and core strength. 

It does get a little annoying when people bag you out for choosing to try and exercise and eat healthy, e.g. trying to live a healthy life style. It's especially annoying when said people choose to talk to you about this in a negative manner while they themselves aren't doing much, e.g. they're not exercising and they eat garbage all the time, while you're not actually saying anything negative to them at all? Hell, you're not even thinking negative things about them because you're concentrating on your own stuff.

And should you try and be supportive and say something to them about their health? Well, all hell is going to break loose. 

To be fair, it is very difficult to talk to people about health. I know this for a fact, as when I used to be overweight and unhealthy, anyone who bought up my weight with me, I would almost instantly become defensive and ultimately upset. Were they going about the wrong way? No idea. Was it unfair? It felt like it, but it's hard to tell. 

"Haa haa, a girl doing martial arts.  That's ADORABLE.  I, a powerful male, shall falsely stroke her ego, and forever earn her gratitude! HAA HAA!"

</sarcasm>

My pet peeve...

Pet_Peeve_large.png?v=1337187366

• Like 5

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides.