Forums are back in action! ×

Strange Food

Evicious

I married into a Chinese family, so my horizons have broadened considerably from when I started dating my wife.  Here’s a short list of some things that I loooove now:

• Thousand year old eggs.  Dear C’thulu, how delicious are thee?  Take a duck egg, preserve it in ash and lye for a few years.  The white of the egg turns green with the consistency of a jell-o jiggler and the yolk turns black.  My in-laws are flabbergasted by the fact that whenever I see these in a dish, that’s the first thing I dive for.  I quite literally cannot get enough.
  • Stinky tofu.  Take tofu, let it ferment until very ripe, fry it, and put pickled cabbage or cucumbers in it.  So very tasty delicious.  Like Taiwanese blue cheese.
  • Tripe.  When cooked correctly, it’s flavorful and texture-rific
  • Goat, skin-on in a soup.  Very very tasty.
  • Chitlins.  (Pork intestines)
  • Ox tail.  Started skeptical, really warmed up to it.
  • Bear paw.  Very tendon-y but the flavor is amazing.

And, there have been some things that I could live without… LOL:

• Congealed pig blood.  I didn’t mind the flavor or texture, but my body certainly didn’t like it and let me know for the next day and a half.
  • Pork lung.  Tastes like spongy organ meat.  Nothing really special, so I wouldn’t go out of the way for it.
  • Pork bung.  It’s the colon.  It tastes how you would expect it to…
  • Shark fin.  I only had it to not insult my host, but it was tasteless and textureless.  I don’t see why it’s eaten at all.  Given my moral objections, I’m never having it again.

I have to say that I love having an expanded breadth of food options.  The great thing is that most of this stuff is locally available!  There is so much good stuff out there!   :welcoming:

"Whether or not you can never become great at something, you can always become better at it." -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

"I believe every human has a finite number of heartbeats. I don't intend to waste any of mine." - Neil Armostrong

Current ChallengeCrossFit Open Profile

Mmmm eel. In sushi form. <3

I also really like beef (I think) tongue, though I haven't had it pickled. I'm assuming the way I have it is a Filipino dish since thats how my mom's made it my whole life. Mmmm lengua.

EEL! I've only had it in sushi/sashimi form, but I'm sure it's great any way you have it.

Sushi is excellent and I love it, sea urchin is also delicious. Rabbit is amazingly good, though a bit tricky to butcher without practice. I love this recipe. In fact, I think I just found Sunday dinner!

Keeping that one in mind! I want to try rabbit so badly, and living in CO, I'm sure I could find some around here, somewhere...

I love this thread.  The Union Square Farmer's Market here in NYC has introduced me to a few different things, but ostrich has to be my favorite.  It's super lean and very gamey, and mixing roasted garlic, green chiles, and sriracha can make the best burger you've ever had!

Ostrich! Now there's one I want to try!

Ox tail.  Started skeptical, really warmed up to it.

Ox tail = AHmazing. Oh man, slow-cooked, it is so good. Amazing for soups!

My all-time favorite game meat is wild boar, far and away. There are so many great ways to make it, but it's definitely a rare treat for me. :9 

Level 5 Dryad Druid + Adventurer

STR 7 | DEX 10 | STA 9 | CON 8 | WIS 13 | CHA 10.5

Leo's Dawn of Dragons Challenge

Peanut butter and bacon sandwiches are surprisingly tasty when you are a breathing human being.

Fixed.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I married into a Chinese family, so my horizons have broadened considerably from when I started dating my wife.  Here’s a short list of some things that I loooove now:

• Thousand year old eggs.  Dear C’thulu, how delicious are thee?  Take a duck egg, preserve it in ash and lye for a few years.  The white of the egg turns green with the consistency of a jell-o jiggler and the yolk turns black.  My in-laws are flabbergasted by the fact that whenever I see these in a dish, that’s the first thing I dive for.  I quite literally cannot get enough.
  • Stinky tofu.  Take tofu, let it ferment until very ripe, fry it, and put pickled cabbage or cucumbers in it.  So very tasty delicious.  Like Taiwanese blue cheese.

WTF?  I don't know if I could do that.....

That's what hot dogs are made out of!  Lips, bungs, and leftovers!  Hahaha  I still like a good hot dog now and then.

. I am Elder . Woosah . Sunshine . Plants . Fur babies . New book smell . Cinnamon . Pepperoni Pizza .

When I was a kid, two hardboiled eggs mashed up with a few tablespoons of Crisco was a special treat before dance recitals.  Also, bologna and peanut butter sandwiches.

And my favourite: Kraft Dinner, preferably the Ninja Turtle shaped noodles, but with peanut butter instead of the cheese packet.  Nom nom nom.

Level Four Mandalorian Assassin

| STR: 8 | DEX: 7.5 | STA: 12 | CON: 8 | WIS: 7.25 | CHA: 6.75 |

| First Challenge | Second Challenge | Third Challenge |

You can't look dignified when you're having fun

CIMG0730.JPG The trick, Lister says, is to eat it before the bread dissolves.

Extensive research and recipe testing has been done to get this sandwich recipe as perfectly accurate as possible to the sandwich in the Red Dwarf episode, Thanks for the Memory. Many versions of this sandwich are out there on the web, but I think this one is the most accurate to the show. When making this recipe, keep in mind that it's Lister who recommends it. Lister, with his one remaining taste bud and his British equivalent of white trash eating habits. Ironically, it's DELICIOUS.

Most recipes I've read assume the 'triple' refers to the number of eggs, but if you watch the sandwich scene closely, you'll notice that the 'triple' refers to the number of pieces of bread. Which incidentally, should be the cheapest white bread you can find: would Lister really eat whole grains? Artisan bread? Specialty Loaves? Not on your life.

Four eggs turned out to be the magic number, fried to a runny, gloppy perfection. This is NOT a neat sandwich.

The chutney we found is an inexpensive, gooey and sweet concoction more like jam than anything else and it pours beautifully, making a perfect mess of the bread. Lord knows what it's made of (something brown?). If your chutney has fruit that can actually be identified, it's too fancy - something only used by class traitors. Gourmet chutney can lead to freqenting WBs, eating tapas, hankerin' for pine kitchens... who KNOWS where it could end?!

The one compromise we were forced to make was that we had a hard time finding East Indian chili sauce in the Pacific Northwest. We're sure that's what Lister would have used, but lacking that we got the next best thing, Rooster Sauce, which is easily as hot and since it's from Southeast Asia, it uses similar peppers for the base.

CIMG0719.JPG

3 slices of the cheapest white bread you can find.
4 Eggs, fried with runny yolks.
Chili Sauce
Chutney

CIMG0721.JPG

Spread generous amounts of chutney and chili sauce on two slices of the bread.

CIMG0725.JPG Place 2 fried eggs each on the prepared bread.

CIMG0736.JPG

Stack the layers, placing the third piece of bread on the top.

*Eating this sandwich should feel like you're having a baby. If not, you need more chili.

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

• Tripe.  When cooked correctly, it’s flavorful and texture-rific
  • Goat, skin-on in a soup.  Very very tasty.
  • Chitlins.  (Pork intestines)
  • Ox tail.  Started skeptical, really warmed up to it.
  • Bear paw.  Very tendon-y but the flavor is amazing.

And, there have been some things that I could live without… LOL:

• Congealed pig blood.  I didn’t mind the flavor or texture, but my body certainly didn’t like it and let me know for the next day and a half.
  • Pork lung.  Tastes like spongy organ meat.  Nothing really special, so I wouldn’t go out of the way for it.
  • Shark fin.  I only had it to not insult my host, but it was tasteless and textureless.  I don’t see why it’s eaten at all.  Given my moral objections, I’m never having it again.

I have to say that I love having an expanded breadth of food options.  The great thing is that most of this stuff is locally available!  There is so much good stuff out there!   :welcoming:

I've tried many of those things when I lived/traveled in Taiwan, though I often had no idea what I was eating.  The only thing I ever turned down was a fish eyeball that was almost human-sized.  Taiwanese people don't understand a foreigner's reluctance to try stinky tofu until you ask them to eat a chunk of bleu cheese.

A few others that were not terrible:

Chicken feet

Grilled squid on a stick

Roasted spiral-shell snails, chilled and covered in hot chili.  They cut the tips off the shells so you can suck the meat out easier.

Shrimp is always served with the head on, and once I had it fried where you were supposed to eat the shells and all.

Fish is very often served whole, and you just grab chunks off with your chopsticks.

I think of everything that I had, pickled quail eggs were the only thing that I probably wouldn't try again.  I couldn't even swallow it.

However, I think the worst habit of the Taiwanese people is binlang, or betelnut.  Imagine chewing on a fibrous nut that turns into wood pulp, with a leaf wrapped around it.  The combination turns your saliva blood red, which you then have to spit out all over the streets.  The pulpy mass looks like a cockroach out of the corner of your eye.

Searching the world for a cure for my wanderlust.

I've tried many of those things when I lived/traveled in Taiwan, though I often had no idea what I was eating.  The only thing I ever turned down was a fish eyeball that was almost human-sized.  Taiwanese people don't understand a foreigner's reluctance to try stinky tofu until you ask them to eat a chunk of bleu cheese.

A few others that were not terrible:

Chicken feet

Grilled squid on a stick

Roasted spiral-shell snails, chilled and covered in hot chili.  They cut the tips off the shells so you can suck the meat out easier.

Shrimp is always served with the head on, and once I had it fried where you were supposed to eat the shells and all.

Fish is very often served whole, and you just grab chunks off with your chopsticks.

I think of everything that I had, pickled quail eggs were the only thing that I probably wouldn't try again.  I couldn't even swallow it.

However, I think the worst habit of the Taiwanese people is binlang, or betelnut.  Imagine chewing on a fibrous nut that turns into wood pulp, with a leaf wrapped around it.  The combination turns your saliva blood red, which you then have to spit out all over the streets.  The pulpy mass looks like a cockroach out of the corner of your eye.

Very true about the Taiwanese and bleu cheese.  My great aunt-in-law refuses to get within a 2 block radius of bleu cheese, but loves stinky tofu.  They are really similar in my opinion!

My wife refused to let me try betelnut when we went to Taiwan last year.  I think that I'm happy she did, based on what people said about it.

The chicken feet and grilled squid are other favorites of mine, especially with a good hot sauce.  I haven't tried the snails yet, but that sounds delicious!

"Whether or not you can never become great at something, you can always become better at it." -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

"I believe every human has a finite number of heartbeats. I don't intend to waste any of mine." - Neil Armostrong

Current ChallengeCrossFit Open Profile

I haven't tried the snails yet, but that sounds delicious!

I think the only place I've had the snails was on Cijin Island, off the coast of Kaohsiung.  I'm sure they are available elsewhere, but I don't remember what they are called.  It's a snack that takes a lot of time and you don't get much out of it, but they are pretty good.

I can't really think of anything weird that I eat ... maybe the occasional french fries dipped in vanilla milkshake or ice cream.

But I know I'm not the only one that enjoys this!

Agreed!! Fries in either the Wendy's frosty or in-n-outs chocolate milkshake used to be an indulgence for me.. Alas no more!

Level 1 Elf Adventurer STR 2|DEX 2|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 3|CHA 4

CIMG0730.JPG The trick, Lister says, is to eat it before the bread dissolves.

Extensive research and recipe testing has been done to get this sandwich recipe as perfectly accurate as possible to the sandwich in the Red Dwarf episode, Thanks for the Memory. Many versions of this sandwich are out there on the web, but I think this one is the most accurate to the show. When making this recipe, keep in mind that it's Lister who recommends it. Lister, with his one remaining taste bud and his British equivalent of white trash eating habits. Ironically, it's DELICIOUS....

You just made my day. Forwarding this to my husband, who got me into Red Dwarf. I love Rimmer's face as he's eating it. "I think I'm having a baby".

I don't *think* anything I eat would qualify as strange, but the spouse will drink pickle juice (good for hangovers he says) and eat Limburger, liverwurst, onion, and pumpernickel sandwiches. Not weird persay, but damn smelly. I guess a lot of non-rebels would think almond flour or spinach in my smoothies is weird. Or the fact that I love brussels sprouts (with garlic or maple syrup).

I don't *think* anything I eat would qualify as strange, but the spouse will drink pickle juice (good for hangovers he says) and eat Limburger, liverwurst, onion, and pumpernickel sandwiches. Not weird persay, but damn smelly. I guess a lot of non-rebels would think almond flour or spinach in my smoothies is weird. Or the fact that I love brussels sprouts (with garlic or maple syrup).

Some of this stuff is really good, but only when I'm craving it.  I hated liver as a kid, but tried some liverwurst not long ago and it was the best thing I'd ever had.  Halfway through the package (over a few days) and I didn't want anymore for months.  Pickle juice is the same way.  My wife really likes the really smelly cheeses, while I only kinda like them.  Roasted brussel sprouts are amazing.

I find that a lot of veggies I hated as a kid were maybe because they were poorly prepared- often canned, or fresh but overcooked by steaming. 

I can't really think of anything weird that I eat ... maybe the occasional french fries dipped in vanilla milkshake or ice cream.

But I know I'm not the only one that enjoys this!

Oh man now I want a milk shake!!!!  

. I am Elder . Woosah . Sunshine . Plants . Fur babies . New book smell . Cinnamon . Pepperoni Pizza .

Fish heads. Got in trouble trying to buy some on a school trip. They just wouldn't believe I wanted them for food and not some horrible prank lol.

Height 6'2" Age 26

345/215/435

Strength isn’t just about winning. Even if my attempts are pathetic and comical, and even if I’m covered in the mud of my defeat, if I can keep fighting and look up at the sky as I lie on the ground, that alone is proof of true strength! Haruyuki Arita (Accel World)

93558752504516086387662.jpg

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!?!?!?

Sorry, just saw this on the news and

WHY

"

Chastain recommended those trying the poutine soda for the first time to take in a big whiff before sipping – kind of like wine.

“Once you take a sip, it starts out with a really strong cheesy note, and that blends perfectly with the savory gravy that the dish is, of course, known for,†he said. “On the back end, you pick up some starchy potato notes that round out the whole plate.â€

Read more: http://bc.ctvnews.ca/new-soda-puts-poutine-in-a-bottle-1.1265896#ixzz2SGmi0JB7

"

WHY GOD WHY

Tseecka
Lvl 2 Amazonian Adventurer
STR: 8 DEX: 5 STA: 3.5 CON: 6.5 WIS: 6.5 CHA: 1.5
"When you have eliminated the impossible, what remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
~*~Exercise daily if convenient. If inconvenient, exercise anyway~*~
Daily Battle Log: HERE

Accountibilibuddies: Looking :(

Archived