Forums are back in action! ×

So I lost my job today....

Well I've certainly had better days. I got an email at 9:15 this morning w/a 10AM meeting request that said "Confidential Meeting" at HR @10AM. Vague meetings w/HR are never a good thing. Turned out 9 people from my division were being laid off today and I was one of them.

On the plus side...1) I can't say I'm too busy to work out now. 2) I spoke w/the guys over at TEKSystems (who helped me get the job at the bank) and they say there is a lot of QA work available right now. 3) While the severance isn't much, it's something beyond getting a check in 2 weeks for 1 week's worth of pay. 4) My boss made sure I knew he was told who he was losing and it's strictly a cost saving, not anything any of us did. He also offered to be a great reference for me and if I need a written one to just let him know. I reminded him to keep inviting me for disc golf and Rock Band nights, since I have the time on my hands now :)

The guy in charge of the division called a meting this morning and he made sure to tell everyone that we are all in good standing and more than welcome back if things right themselves and they re-open those positions.

I'll come thru this as good or better than I was before. Before my job at the bank, I hadn't worked in an agile environment, I hadn't used any test automation software, I didn't have very much SQL knowledge. While I could still certainly have a lot more SQL knowledge, I do know a good bit more than I used to and w/nearly 5 years of experience testing, I like to think I'm a pretty decent candidate. I know a lot of stuff I couldn't even interview for before is open to me now.

Here's to moving forward. The situation sucks, but I know what I'm worth and I'll make sure I get it heh

Level 1 Satyr Adventurer/Assassin    

Age: 36, Height: 5'9", Weight: 238.6, Pants Size: 40Str 2 | Dex 3 | Sta 2 | Con 4 | Wis 1 | Cha 3

My tracking thread: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/26623-ssquirrels-list-of-everything/

Goals: 200 pounds, the old size 36 leather pants in my closet :)

Alice: But I don't want to go among mad people.Cheshire Cat: Oh, you can't help that. Most everyone's mad here.  You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself.

oh. bummer.

sorry to hear this.  

My friend lost her job a while ago- and while she JUST started working like 2 weeks ago after almost a year or so hiatus- she had such amazing opportunities to do things she really wanted to do with her dance career.  She's been tearing it up like made with our program.

So it's definitely one door closes another one opens.  Time spent at a job means lessons learned- new experience to add onto the resume- and chances to work out for hours at  a time (that's what I did when I was on unemployment!!!)  

So yeah- super bummer about the job but super awesome for working out and finding something new and different.  

silver linings and all :)

hug for you and the family!!!

Wow that's tough. I would take advantage of the reference for sure. Hopefully you can get in with TEKsystems, sounds like you have good rapport there.

I envy the good attitude you have. Its the right one.

Level 2 Wood Elf. Druid at Heart, Training With the RangersSTR 7|DEX 3|STA 9|CON 5.5|WIS 5.75|CHA 3.5

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/30484-gilfrens-grab-at-great-gams/?hl=gilfren]Challenge Thread

Wow that's tough. I would take advantage of the reference for sure. Hopefully you can get in with TEKsystems, sounds like you have good rapport there.

I envy the good attitude you have. Its the right one.

Yeah TEKSystems is a headhunting place, they helped place me at the bank.  My friend passed my resume along to Zirmed and TEK will be looking into other spots for me.  If I don't have a positive attitude, I'm just gonna sit around and mope and accomplish nothing.  I have a family of 4 I'm taking care of and while my wife is on disability and she gets money for herself and the kids, tha isn't enough to live on.  My unemployment should still be more take home than I got from my last job before the bank tho sadly enough.

Age: 36, Height: 5'9", Weight: 238.6, Pants Size: 40Str 2 | Dex 3 | Sta 2 | Con 4 | Wis 1 | Cha 3

My tracking thread: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/26623-ssquirrels-list-of-everything/

Alice: But I don't want to go among mad people.Cheshire Cat: Oh, you can't help that. Most everyone's mad here.  You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself.

Tonight, the hell with my diet.  We're going to go out to dinner and I'm going to enjoy myself. :)

Since I got let go, I have:

1) Talked to TEK Systems about looking for jobs for me as a software tester

2) Had one of my best friends pass along my resume to his former company, which is a great place to work

3) Also spoke w/the recruiter at that place.  He had me send him another copy of my resume and I mentioned a friend of mine who left my old job recently for there as a referral.

4) My wife put my old salary in an unemployment calculator and found I will max it at $415/week, which is STILL more take home pay than I had at the job before the one I just lost b/c I was that drastically under paid.

5) Contacted my old boss to review my blurb about the position, which he beefed up w/things I forgot

6) Passed word thru him to my other teammate who lost her job to let her know the recruiter doesn't care she is going to India till June in 3 weeks, they will review her resume and possibly interview and hire her and hold the spot till she gets back.  So I think that certainly counts for my good karma for the day :)

So, while my day started very poorly, things have gone nowhere but up since then and I will hopefully have an interview and maybe even a job offer before the end of next week.  Because damnit I fucking deserve it :) 

Oh and I told the universe now would be an AWESOME time for a winning lottery ticket heh

I'm so sorry to hear about this, Squirrel! :( It's a rough time no matter how you slice it, but you've got such an amazing, positive attitude going with it. It's something that I love to see! And by the looks at how the rest of your day went, you certainly don't waste any time! Go on and enjoy yourself tonight, you are a rock star.

Level 5 Dryad Druid + Adventurer

STR 7 | DEX 10 | STA 9 | CON 8 | WIS 13 | CHA 10.5

Leo's Dawn of Dragons Challenge

Sorry to hear about the job :-( You're really proactive in making the next move and following leads and keeping your head up, though, great work. Sounds like you have a good relationship with your boss, too, and he'll write a great reference. Hope things turn out in your favor ASAP!

Cee, Level 2 Wood Elf Adventurer of the Earth Kingdom

STR 4.5 . DEX 1 . STA 3 . CON 5 . WIS 8.75 . CHA 4

ch 0|ch 1|challenge 2

I'm so sorry to hear about this, Squirrel! :( It's a rough time no matter how you slice it, but you've got such an amazing, positive attitude going with it. It's something that I love to see! And by the looks at how the rest of your day went, you certainly don't waste any time! Go on and enjoy yourself tonight, you are a rock star.

As I explained to the HR lady at my former company today, yes, I probably could sit around and mope and eat chocolate ice cream, but 1) that would really blow my diet changes and 2) that doesn't get me a new fucking job :)

BTW, Logans tonite.  Potato skins, mozarella sticks, hot wings, their tasty rolls and SWEET TEA!  Yes, I had a FUCKITOL meal and it was delicious.  A few leftovers to knock out from it, but I feel I earned that for myself today and then right back at it tomorrow.

Sorry to hear about the job :-( You're really proactive in making the next move and following leads and keeping your head up, though, great work. Sounds like you have a good relationship with your boss, too, and he'll write a great reference. Hope things turn out in your favor ASAP!

I worked there 2 weeks and then one day he asked my friend Mike if I was coming along Wednesday.  I asked what was Wednesday.  Apparently, they played disc golf.  My boss loaned me discs the first 3 weeks and I had ordered my own by the 4th time.  He has invited us all over for Rock Band nights a couple of times before.  The word has been spread I'm still invited when they plan disc golf, especially while I don't have a work schedule right now heh.  I have him on my resume and I know he will serve me well.  He filled in some gaps I was missing and tweaked some bits I had.  The information about the position I had there is more impressive and equally true.  I almost didn't realize I had become our primary web tester in the year I was there, not to mention all the other sorts of testing I did. :)

Having had a lot of job hunting experience over the past few years, post your resume to be publicly searchable on sites like Monster and any other leading job sites in your country (I worked for Workopolis.com up in Canada for 9 months, so I had a bit of experience on how they do things). Also make sure your Linkedin profile is up to date and active, feel free to join groups related to your field or subjects of interest. Connect with as many people as you can on Linkedin because those connections allow you to see the names of potential employers so that you can put individual names down instead of "whom it may concern" on the cover letter. When I got the aforementioned Workopolis job one of the things they were most impressed with was that I had addressed my coverletter to as it turns out the two VP's that were in charge of hiring me (though neither of them really had anything to do with the hiring process itself).

Good luck with the job hunt!

This too, shall pass.

Yep, I just got my resume updated Friday.  I still need to post it on Monster and LinkedIn.  The funny thing was a few months ago someone was headhunting me based on my very outdated resume that was on Monster heh

Squirrel,  Those are really solid steps you've made in just a couple of days.  Your attitude right out the box is admirable and I'm glad you're getting some early external positive feedback.  All the best from here on.  Can't wait to see this one turned around in the woot room.

illcDimension hopping Ranger-Cartographer, level 2STR: 6 DEX: 2 STA: 5 CON: 6 WIS: 5 CHA: 2

Training Log

Of Goats and Rucks Challenge (June -July 2013)

~Take care. Be bold.~

Well tomorrow I have the following agenda:

1) apply for unemployment.  $415/week is nothing I'm about to turn down

2) Cancel my employee bank account.  I don't need it as my main is with Chase still

3) Turn in my parking card, altho I may hold off till the end of the month.  Zirmed (one of the places I'm expecting to interview later in the week) is just down the street by a block and a half from my parking ramp and as long as the weather is ok, I won't have to pay to go to my interview heh.

4) Hopefully get contacted and schedule some interviews

Thanks for all the support folks.  I've been getting similar on my Facebook page.  Heck illc, I did all I had posted on my first day fired.  Uploading my resume to Linked In and updating the one on Monster tonite.  That is done now :)

wow.  Sorry to hear about this!  You've got a good plan of attack though!

When my spousal unit was laid off, the company offered "career counseling" - mostly stuff he didn't really need but it was paid for and turned out to be kind of useful - someone to give a fresh eye on the resume, there were some skills classes that he was able to do (used up some free time) and it was all logged so when people asked what he was doing, it was clear he was readying for the job market.  Is there anything like that open to you?

You have a really good plan here.  You'll come through this really well.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

They have an Employee Assistance Program, but I believe that is more counseling than anything else.  This morning I woke woke up to 3 emails and the phone ringing from one of the people who sent an email.  I think I want too much for the guy who called me, the other job is 45 minutes-1 hour each way (would quadruple my gas costs) and then an email from probably my preferred job here in town to see when is good to talk for a half hour before setting up an interview :)

Phone interview w/Zirmed tomorrow.  I've already been apped for one job that pays possibly $60k and need to send something to someone else to put me in for a $55k position.  The 60 is closer tho.  Zirmed could be anywhere from 50-60, not sure.  Plus the guys at TEKSystems are still looking for me :)

Phone interview went great.  They're scheduling an in-person for me.  I also have 2 other jobs I have been put in for at other places, so just waiting to hear when interviews happen w/them.

This is such good news!!! Keep at it!!!

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

That's great- I was really bad at job hunting- took me about 5 years to find a new one (having a job that was seasonal made it hard- I wanted to always work in the summer and always got depressed in the winter when I wasn't working.  I don't know what I would do if I lost it- I don't think I could come up with stuff that fast- that's really awesome!!! 

Friday update.  Spoke w/Edith about the job in Frankfort.  She is waiting to hear back from the state that they want me in for an interview.  Susanna and Jeramie, I got voicemail.  Hopefully I will get calls back today with at least updates of where things stand.  I'd prefer to be called back w/interview dates and times of course :)

Have you thought about doing free lancing work? Make a list of all your skills. A good book to read when looking for a job is "What Color Is Your Parachute?"

Once you make a list of all your skills, you can put your skills on free lancing sites:

https://www.odesk.com/

http://www.guru.com/

http://www.freelancer.com/

It may take you some time to build up a good reputation, but you can start finding regular work and even a permanent position. I've had friends who were offered regular work making as much as they did at their old job or more off of oDesk.