Forums are back in action! ×

Constant Thirst

Vintage

I can't quite figure out what's going on with me. I can't seem to get enough water, particularly when I exercise. It's been getting progressively worse over the past few months. The worst part is my mouth starts to dry out until it gets to where I feel like I'm choking.

On a non-workout day I go through AT LEAST 7 liters

If I add 30 minutes-1 hour of exercise, I usually go through an additional 3 liters or more.

It's gotten to the point where I go to bed with 2 liters of water sitting on my nightstand because between the time I get in bed and the time I get out of bed, I'll go through at least a liter, often more. I'm kind of developing a psychological issue on top of the physical one - it's so physically uncomfortable that I fear being without water.

I live in Texas, so yes it's hot and my workouts aren't climate controlled, but still, this seems excessive.

Has anybody experienced this? I there something besides water that my body is wanting and I can't tell what it is?

Ms. Retro,

Interesting. I'm no sure but I do know that certain medications can do that. Also you might check your sodium intake. If you eat prepared (or processed) foods it might be a contributing factor. Also if you work a job that has you sweating you might just be needing it. Your workouts aren't temp controlled by is your work? Also if you drink, it might be your bodies way of flushing toxins from your system but you'd have to drink quite a bit for that to be the issue. 

Hope this helps!

Allons-y!

If deadlifts were easy they'd be called ellipticals.

If you can't fix it with fish oil and squats you're probably going to die. ~ Marshall White

TIME LORD, The Warrior, Level 3: STE: 12, DEX: 12, STA: 5; CON: 5.75, WIS: 9; CHA: 2

Be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Ephesians 6.10

-           -      -   -  -  -  -  -  - - - - - - - -----------------------------------------------

Good idea about the medications. I'll have to check the ones I'm on. 

I avoid sodium for the most part. I track periodically and I'm usually around 2000 mg/day. I know caffeine can be an issue too - I probably average 1 caffeinated drink per week, though, so I doubt that's it.

I do sweat quite a bit. I don't work outside but I'm naturally a sweaty person (uggh - I can thank genetics for that one). I expect to drink more than the average person, but it seems like it's getting excessive.

I guess if I'm going to relentlessly crave something, water's probably the best-case scenario :)

That does seem rather 'odd'. Especially since we also take in water through our food, so if you add that up that is a lot of water. More than you have blood in your system - you might wanna see a medical professional about that because too much water can actually do the opposite of too much sodium that could make you crave water. It could flush away the sodium that you need. I also doubt that caffeine does a lot to dehydrate you and if so it's probably minimal.

I guess how busy your schedule is might also weigh in, at least if it's busy for your body.

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.†- Vince Lombardi

Wolf, level 1 Vampire assassinSTR 2|DEX 3|STA 2|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2

Wolfish Philosophy

Current challenge

I think seeing a doctor is the best advice anyone who isn't a doctor could give you.  A constant thirst could be a symptom of diabetes, so it's important to get this checked out, if only to put your mind at rest.

Level 4 Human Adventurer / Level 4 Scout, couch to 5k graduate, six time marathon finisher.

Spoiler

Current 5k Personal Best: 22:00 / 21:23 / 21:13 / 21:09 / 20:55 / 20:25 (4th July 17)

Current 5 mile PB: 36:41 35:27 34:52 (10th May 17)

Current 10k PB: 44:58 44:27 44:07 44:06 43:50 (29th June 17)

Current Half Marathon PB: 1:41:54 1:38:24 1:37:47 1:37:41 (14th June 15)

Current Marathon PB: 3:39:34 3:29:49 (10th April 16)

Hey there, 

It's funny you bring this up as I have a similar issue and it's been this way for the last few years. About 4.5 years ago I started increasing my workouts which resulted in a greater intake of water, then 1.5 years later I moved to Africa for work and my water intake sky rocketed! I was anywhere between 6-9 liters a day with an additional 1.5-3 liters after working out. Now, I work in Southeast Asia and I'm daily between 5-8 liters + and additional 1.5-2.5 liters after working out. 

I do take in sodium and due to the climate take a fair amount of re-hydration salts to help out but I understand the always feeling like you are thirsty. I have started paying more attention to this and do at times moderate my overall water intake but don't see much of an alternative. Other then the constant toilet visits and maybe a few extra kilos of water weight I don't see too much of an issue drinking a lot of water. Not that I'm the best person for advise but would say, you're not alone in consuming large amounts of water and it beats drinking lots of sports drinks, soda, or other not good for you alternatives.

Adaptable Energy - Assassin/Ranger

Level 1: STR 2: DEX 1: STA 3: CON 3: WIS 3: CHA 3

1st Challenge: June 3 - July 15, 2013

"I feel that no one can lead another to truth, because truth is infinite; it is a pathless land, and no one can tell you how to find it. No one can teach you to be an artist; another can only give you the brushes and canvas and show you the colours to use."

J. Krishnamurti, 1933

"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." Po - Kung-Fu Panda 2008

I can't quite figure out what's going on with me. I can't seem to get enough water, particularly when I exercise. It's been getting progressively worse over the past few months. The worst part is my mouth starts to dry out until it gets to where I feel like I'm choking.

On a non-workout day I go through AT LEAST 7 liters

If I add 30 minutes-1 hour of exercise, I usually go through an additional 3 liters or more.

It's gotten to the point where I go to bed with 2 liters of water sitting on my nightstand because between the time I get in bed and the time I get out of bed, I'll go through at least a liter, often more. I'm kind of developing a psychological issue on top of the physical one - it's so physically uncomfortable that I fear being without water.

I live in Texas, so yes it's hot and my workouts aren't climate controlled, but still, this seems excessive.

Has anybody experienced this? I there something besides water that my body is wanting and I can't tell what it is?

You live in texas, yet you drink litres? Liters I'd understand, but litres? There HAS to be a story here :) 

If I were you I'd go get checked for diabetes, 7l seems to be an awful lot to drink in a day.

Level 4 Human Ranger

The only Way to accomplish greatness is to set your goals even higher.

STR: 15 || DEX: 9 || STA: 10

CON: 12 || WIS: 9 || CHA: 6

Check out my challange Thread (4)

I think seeing a doctor is the best advice anyone who isn't a doctor could give you.  A constant thirst could be a symptom of diabetes, so it's important to get this checked out, if only to put your mind at rest.

that's the very first thing I thought when I read like the topic subject.

Roommies dog was drinking incessantly. So badly she couldn't hold it for more than 3-4 hours- 100+ lb dog dring gallons of water then peeing it everywhere.

My roommate is a self proclaimed "busy" person (read that with some sarcasm).  And it took him 2 weeks to take her in- and this was AFTER his initial self prescribed solution- limiting her water.  <facepalm>

pancreatitis, dehydration and diabetes   yeah- don't wait- go get that shit checked out. 

I have learned my lesson and now see ANY excessive water consumption as a signal- and should be looked at IMMEDIATELY.   Don't wait on this one. 

I would also recommend you to go see a doctor - it doesn't have to be diabetes, but it can be something else- potentially with an easy solution. Good luck! 

(Have you tried not drinking the water, but just keeping it in your mouth to help against the dry feeling?) And also for example try moisturizing your lips, dry and chaffed lips can fake the feeling of thirst. Good luck! :)

A Hobbit who wants to become an Elf - Scout - Level 3
STR: 2,75 | DEX: 4 | CON: 5,5 | STA: 2,5 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 2,75
The journey of Tinessael 1

The journey of Tinessael 2

Tinessael's Challenge (ongoing)

Definitely see a doctor ASAP.  A little over a year ago, my cousin was experiencing the same issue and put off calling the doctor until she got unbelievably sick.  She got so bad, we took her to the ER because we weren't sure she'd make it until the appointment.  The doctor there said we probably saved her life as her blood sugar had risen to a little over 800.  Not trying to scare you or anything, but don't take it lightly.  Better to learn now you have nothing wrong than have a close call later.

I agree with going to the Dr. advice. If the Dr. says you are healthy, maybe your eleoctrolyte balance is out of whack. Try drinking some coconut water while you work out, or adding 1/8 tsp. of salt to your water occasionally

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Ugh. Doctors. And of course this comes up during the 3 month period that I don't have insurance. But that probably is the answer.

Not that it couldn't be diabetes, because bodies are weird, but if I went from 205 lb to 160, cut 85% of the sugar and carbs out of my diet and started exercising regularly and THEN developed diabetes? That's just the universe f***ing with me.

Thanks, all. I'll give my doctor a call.

Diabetes isn't the only thing it could indicate. Cushings, and early kidney dysfunction are on the table as well. You need to have bloodwork and urinalysis done to know for sure. I don't have insurance either so I get that but that is a heck of a lot of water, and you need to know if you are urinating enough to compensate for it as well. I was lucky enough to have access to tests at my job to recognize my blood sugar was becoming a problem, if I hadn't I would have had to go to a walk in low cost clinic.  They usually run on a sliding scale. When I did go it was 15 bucks for full physical, bloodwork, vaccines and upper and lower ultrasound. Cheaper than when I had insurance. You should look into that.

And in this existence, I'll stay persistent

And I'll make a difference, and I will have lived it- MFTP

Battle Log

Ugh. Doctors. And of course this comes up during the 3 month period that I don't have insurance. But that probably is the answer.

Not that it couldn't be diabetes, because bodies are weird, but if I went from 205 lb to 160, cut 85% of the sugar and carbs out of my diet and started exercising regularly and THEN developed diabetes? That's just the universe f***ing with me.

Note that if your diet was cleaned up these symptoms may, in fact, go away, but if it was a bad diet before, there might be more work to do.  You might need digestive support, you might need hormonal balancing, you might need gut healing .... all these things are possible, but it's safest to see a doctor to rule out all the really bad stuff.  

Also, if they come back with a bad diagnosis, all hope it not lost.  Come back here and let us know and we'll have some ideas to throw at you. 

Level 3 Human Ranger
STR: 9 DEX: 5.25 STA: 14.5 CON: 5.5 WIS: 16 CHA: 5.5 
My Current Challenge

It's not likely, but Type 1 diabetes can come on at any age, and it isn't a lifestyle disease.  Major symptoms of it are increased urination, increased thirst, and weight loss.

7 litres on average is a LOT of water.  I'm glad you're seeing your doctor, because it could be something quite serious.  That said, I drink 4-6 litres on a non-workout day in a much cooler climate, and it's just how my body likes things -- not a health problem.

Level Four Mandalorian Assassin

| STR: 8 | DEX: 7.5 | STA: 12 | CON: 8 | WIS: 7.25 | CHA: 6.75 |

| First Challenge | Second Challenge | Third Challenge |

You can't look dignified when you're having fun

It's not likely, but Type 1 diabetes can come on at any age, and it isn't a lifestyle disease.  Major symptoms of it are increased urination, increased thirst, and weight loss.

This was my first thought when I read the thread title. My father developed Type 1 diabetes at age 20. At the time he had a very athletic lifestyle - he played baseball and football, had a very physical job, and my mother was a stay-at-home mom who cooked so he had a decent diet. The term 'Juvenile Diabetes' is really misleading.

Even if it isn't what's wrong, make sure your doctor knows all of your symptoms. You don't want to get diagnosed when you are rushed to the hospital in diabetic ketoacidosis. Please let us know how it goes!

Archived