Forums are back in action! ×

Languages

Swedish (native), English (fluent), German (used to be fluent).

A little French, even less Spanish.

As someone already write; since I'm Swedish I understand Norwegian and Danish.

I love languages and dream of learning more; Latin, more French and Spanish, Arabic.....

I am pretty talented in picking up a language and starting to use simple phrases while travelling.

I have chosen to believe in myself.

I speak English, French, Afrikaans and Dutch and can fake German under pressure.  I can pull off a vacation-level fluency of Spanish after a couple of days of immersion.

Its good to see that I'm not the only one who speaks Afrikaans here  :playful:

Knowledge is power, hide it well

I'm fluent in Spanish, English, German and French, have a piece of paper that says I speak basic Japanese, plus some notions of Dutch and am currently learning Portuguese.

As a Spanish expat in France in a long distance relationship with a Brit, every day of my life requires switching languages constantly. But that's ok because I like languages so much I basically think in grammar. There's a little voice in my head pointing out "yes, that's a past participle, now add your direct object so we can move on to the subordinate clause" for every sentence I speak. I'm very science-minded and love patterns and structures, so my brain instantly latched on when we first started doing morphology and syntax at school. For me, understanding the hidden logic behind languages has made picking them up really easy. I think I was lucky to learn Spanish and German so early, because Spanish makes you really think about tenses and you need to be an expert in declension for German: other languages contain these elements in less obvious ways, but if you've learned to spot them your life is a lot easier!

Level 1 Entling Adventurer

STR 3 / DEX 1 / STA 2 / CON 1 / WIS 3 / CHA 4

Before the mageknight comes... the magesquire? 1st challenge!

English (Native)
French (Proficient, but hoping to become fluent at some point)

Mandarin (Beginner, but hoping to become fluent)

Profanity/Sarcasm (Conversational)

Also, I've noticed my French becomes better when I've had something to drink. Maybe I just feel more confident, so it flows a little better. (I know it's not just me imagining I'm getting better, because the people I speak to respond and we communicate well.)

Or maybe it's a superpower. Anyone else experience this?

“The world is indeed full of peril and in it there are many dark places.

But still there is much that is fair. And though in all lands, love is now

mingled with grief, it still grows, perhaps, the greater.â€

--J.R.R. Tolkien, "Return of the King"

"Are the gods not just?"

"Oh no, child. What would become of us if they were?"

--C.S. Lewis, "Till We Have Faces"

English, Profanity and Sarcasm here too. I used to be better with french, but at this point I'm a much better reader of french than speaker. I can ask "Where is the (hospital, airport, police station), in English if you please" I can fake my way through a menu in spanish and in italian with a high degree of accuracy, but then they are all romance languages and I am a bit obsessed with food.

Human Adventurer

Str: 3 | Dex: 2 | Sta:2 | Con:3 | Wis:3 | Cha:2

I've got no strings to hold me down, to make me smile or make me frown...

Native English speaker, fluent in German and Turkish. My French is alright, but I'm definitely better at reading/listening than speaking. There's something about French that makes me feel like I'm making fun of people when I speak it...

English: native

German: I took 4 years of it in high school. I can still read quite well, but my conversation skills are kinda rusty.

Latin: Studied it from middle school through college (Classics major) and I still read some for fun. I can get through most written works (usually with a dictionary, unless it's a familiar text). I've never had the opportunity to practice conversation, though I hope I can someday!

Ancient Greek: Three years in college (other half of the Classics major...). This one was more of a struggle; I never quite developed an ear for it.

Anglo-Saxon is the next one I plan to tackle. 

English Level: Native

Spanish Level: Advanced

That's about it.

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Swedish: native

English: advanced in everything but speaking

German: atm basic reading only, but I had all A:s in four years of German in high school, so could probably pick it up very fast again. I still know most of the grammar, just not any words to use it with... :P

I'd love to learn more, but never take the time. And I'm not sure which language to start with, because I can't decide where I want to go and what should be most useful. Updating my German is first priority. Then I'm thinking maybe Spanish?

Current challenge | Fitocracy | UnTamedTresses

Elf Ranger Level 10STR - 14.75 | DEX - 16.00 | STA - 26.75 | CON - 26.75 | WIS - 27.25 | CHA - 22.00

English-Native

Spanish (mainly conversational)-I took Spanish in middle and high school, and didn't really learn anything. I live on the border though so I've had no choice but to learn it. I can read and write decently well but it takes me longer.

Cherokee-Very very basic I can read and speak. Still learning.

German-Out of practice I can still read well but speaking and using the right word not so much. 

Jigglypuff Adventurer

STR: 3.25    DEX: 3    STA: 3.5   CON: 3.75    WIS: 6    CHA: 4

Previous Challenges: 12

Native German, as good as native English.

A few remnants of greek and latin leftover from school.

Increasingly proficient in recognising profanities written in weird ways, curtesy of my job. Also incredibly jealous of my polyglot coworkers. One day...

Level 2 Wood Elf Druid Str 5| Dex 7 |Sta 3| Con 5.5| Wis 11.5 | Cha 3.5 

English and passable Afrikaans, little bit of Norwegian, used to speak Finnish fluently, some French & German.

Level 2 Imp. Assassin at heart, training with the Adventurers - Challenges: 1 , 2(Current)STR 3 | DEX 1 | STA 6 | CON 4,75 | WIS 4,5 | CHA 3,75

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West

English natively. I could stumble my way through Spanish, but it wouldn't be pretty.

I also took a year of Japanese in college. I really don't remember much at all, but I'd love to relearn it and travel there sometime. Such a fun language to speak, even at a novice level. I really can't understand it spoken at all anymore and anytime I see it written I try to parse through it, but can only get through the hirigana and katakana, I've all but forgotten kanji, minus maybe the most basic of symbols.

Don't be embarrassed, I'm also really impatient when it comes to EVERYTHING. I usually get really excited for several weeks/months and then lose interest.

^me

adult ADHD sucks.

there is never a sudden revelation, a complete and tidy explanation for why it happened, or why it ends, or Why or Who you are. you want one and I want one, but there isn't one. it comes in bits and pieces, and you stitch them together wherever they fit, and when you are done you hold yourself up, and still there are holes and you are a rag doll, invented, imperfect. and yet you are all that you have, so you must be Enough. there is no other way.

Marya Hornbacher, Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia

Native English and fluent in Spanish (lived in SA most of my life) So if you need help with spanish let me know! :)

Lvl 2   Half-Orc Dúnadan Assassin Ranger of the North trained by Aragorn son of Arathorn and Connor Kenway - Slayer of the Witch-King of Angmar - Nazgûl Hunter 

Current Attributes: STR: 6    DEX: 5   STA: 1     CON: 5    WIS: 3    CHA: 5

"Become the most positive and enthusiastic person you know"

"So what's stopping you....? That's right...nothing!"

Bucketlist / Battle Log / Neo-Nerds NF Group / Second Challenge!

Bulgarian - native.

English - between C1 & C2 (almost like a mother tongue and all thanks to writing fiction)

German - C1 (though I need to brush it up real bad)

French - some basic, basic, basic French. Took like a year in university, quite the mistake.

Level 1 - Adventurer (Cthulhu in dusguise, but don't mind me)

STR: 2 І DEX: 1 І STA: 1 І CON: 2 І WIS: 5 І CHA: 4

Be mindful of your Self-Talk. It's a conversation with the universe.

English - native

Chinese - limited to full working proficiency- pretty fluent, but lacking precise vocabulary in some topics

I think that next on the list is Russian (some good friends only speak Russian with their kids) or Indonesian (pretty straightforward from what I understand, good food, and beautiful beaches).

Searching the world for a cure for my wanderlust.

English is the only language I know fluently. I took about seven years worth of Spanish and have absolutely nothing to show for it. I finally started to pursue my dream of learning Danish about 15 weeks ago (I study for at least one hour every single day), and I hope to be fluent in it some day. It's going to take me a long time, and I will be beyond happy if I achieve that goal at all in this lifetime. People like you who decide and are able to learn multiple languages are completely beyond my comprehension haha.

*Posy*

Current Challenge

Consulting Knights in the TARDIS

Previous Challenges: One

True Neutral Human Adventurer with Ranger-Druid aspirationsCurrent Stats: LVL 2 || (STR) 6 || (DEX) 4 || (STA) 5 || (CON) 3.5 || (WIS) 9.5 || (CHA) 4.5

yay, my kind of thread! 

I speak Estonian, Russian, English and German fluently. (Not so fluently to be really satisfied with... - Russian is my mother tongue but I've never been schooled in it, so my grammar level is that of a 7 year old I think. Or 12 year-old. Estonian was my original schooling language, but I find the grammar difficult and now since I'm not using it, I am afraid I'm slowly forgetting it. English... yeah, I don't have anyone to talk to in English, and don't really use it. So my grammar can also be erm... a bit faulty. German was my 4th language, and was the language of my high school and now university... but I have a strong accent and my grammar is not  so that I can write anything without letting somebody proof read it.) 

I've studied Latin for a year, but there's not so much left of it, just some basic understanding of linguistics. I enjoyed learning it, but I think I will focus on learning real languages for now

And now I've started learning French - it's been 1,5 years now, but I've had to drop the last course because of impossible timetable. :/ But I will definitely start in autumn again!

I also really want to study chinese or japanese, arabic and spanish. But it may have to wait until I am pensioned or something.  :nevreness:

A Hobbit who wants to become an Elf - Scout - Level 3
STR: 2,75 | DEX: 4 | CON: 5,5 | STA: 2,5 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 2,75
The journey of Tinessael 1

The journey of Tinessael 2

Tinessael's Challenge (ongoing)

If there's anyone who wants to learn/practice Spanish, I'd be more than happy to chat with them. 

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

And I would love to chat/message with any French-speakers. :)

“The world is indeed full of peril and in it there are many dark places.

But still there is much that is fair. And though in all lands, love is now

mingled with grief, it still grows, perhaps, the greater.â€

--J.R.R. Tolkien, "Return of the King"

"Are the gods not just?"

"Oh no, child. What would become of us if they were?"

--C.S. Lewis, "Till We Have Faces"

Archived