Forums are back in action! ×

Central A/C vs. Free Standing Unit

Ok, so I recently bought my first house. It previously had central A/C before the furnace was replaced 3 years ago without an AC coil (they used the house as a vacation lake house and didn't see the need for central). So I have a programmable thermostat, the hook ups for a unit (though it may be a bit old) and basically the makings to have central A/C but I'm not sure it's the better option?

It's a 3 bedroom 1 bath single story house.. roughly 1000 sq feet... I would need my bedroom cool at night, my "Get ready/vanity" room cool in the morning, then the living space (living room, dining, kitchen and hall are all open) cool during home hours.

My debate is between going central A/C 1st quote was 3k, getting a second quote tomorrow

or getting 2-3 free standing units (not window shakers, but the ones that look to be distant cousins of R2D2).

Does anyone have experience with this decision? Maybe a before and after central a/c experience?

I have the 3k, but if it's not going to be an operation that saves me $$ or is more efficient in the long run, I'd rather put that $$ somewhere else (remodel kitchen, save it, etc.)

So to sum it up... Central A/C with programmable thermostat or 2-3 free standing units

Level 2 Wood Elf. Druid at Heart, Training With the RangersSTR 7|DEX 3|STA 9|CON 5.5|WIS 5.75|CHA 3.5

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/30484-gilfrens-grab-at-great-gams/?hl=gilfren]Challenge Thread

Central air.  And if you can get a thermostat that allows you to program it.  That way you can leave it cooler/warmer during the day when noone's home, then adjust it to comfortable when home.  saves a decent amount of money energy wise.

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains

I think for energy usage Central air might be better, every time the compressor kicks in for the portable unit we can see the lights dim a bit, but we also live in a house built in the late 1800's, that might have something to do with it

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

I thought those freestanding units weren't as efficient as a window unit, which in turn isn't as efficient as an actual central air unit.  For my money, I'd definitely go with central ac.

We just moved from a rental with window units to a house with central ac.  For me, the temp isn't even as important as how central ac cuts down the humidity in the whole house.  Sucked walking from a cool bedroom into the hallway and immediately feeling the humidity hit you.

I thought those freestanding units weren't as efficient as a window unit, which in turn isn't as efficient as an actual central air unit.  For my money, I'd definitely go with central ac.

We just moved from a rental with window units to a house with central ac.  For me, the temp isn't even as important as how central ac cuts down the humidity in the whole house.  Sucked walking from a cool bedroom into the hallway and immediately feeling the humidity hit you.

This is a big issue as well, I'm glad you reminded me.... the humidity was an issue with my wall unit at my old apartment.

I could see myself dealing with not as cool a temp if the humidity was low, but blasting the a/c if it's humid

Level 2 Wood Elf. Druid at Heart, Training With the RangersSTR 7|DEX 3|STA 9|CON 5.5|WIS 5.75|CHA 3.5

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/30484-gilfrens-grab-at-great-gams/?hl=gilfren]Challenge Thread

I couldn't live without central now, but I lived in the Dominican Republic for 7 years without it and survived. With that said, those houses are very open allowing a lot of airflow and it really is a different thing.

As for the portable units, there are really 2 types of units with 2 different types of requirements, and one is a bit more expensive.

Portable Evaporative Cooling (Air Cooler, Swamp Cooler, etc) - These are most likely what people think about when thinking of portable A/C, but they aren't really a normal A/C unit. They cool dry air by adding humidity to it. You'd have to have an open window for fresh air, because once the inside air is cooled (saturated with water) the air really can't be cooled any more. They are most efficient when the relative humidity is 20% or below. They work well in dry climates. The maximum cooling effect is around 20 - 25 degrees (found that on a site somewhere).

"Portable" Air Conditioning - This is what most people are used to (central air, etc), and may be what you had in mind since this is the true A/C method. This is also the more expensive route (starting at $300+ for 1 unit). They are available in portable versions (not just the window style units), but they do require some way to vent the hot air they create outside, typically with some kind of included window vent kit. They also require a bit more upkeep.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

So I'm going to look like a crazy person if I've got 3 units. Also, my windows slide side by side instead of up and down so theres some added eyesore with the window vent thing :/

Our house has central and I love it. BEST THING EVER. That said, at night rather than cool the whole house to a good sleeping temperature, we run a unit in the bedroom specifically. We've found it really helps reduce our overall bill, while still making sure we can sleep at night.

Human Adventurer

Str: 3 | Dex: 2 | Sta:2 | Con:3 | Wis:3 | Cha:2

I've got no strings to hold me down, to make me smile or make me frown...

Yep, it will add value that you should be able to recoup.  Also, central air is A LOT quiter than window units. I never had central air until my second apartment as an adult and it's awesome compared to window units.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

We put in a Japanese mini split system. Best decision ever gives you one area cooling options wo window units

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Get my second quote today, but I'm 99% going to go central... I looked at my house and it would look like a hazmat scene with 2-3 free standing units. And with my job being what it is, I don't have the time to maintenance units :/

Get my second quote today, but I'm 99% going to go central... I looked at my house and it would look like a hazmat scene with 2-3 free standing units. And with my job being what it is, I don't have the time to maintenance units :/

Maintenance units? I don't think we did maintenance on our window units ever. Then again, that might be why they sounded like they were going to die all summer...

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Maintenance units? I don't think we did maintenance on our window units ever. Then again, that might be why they sounded like they were going to die all summer...

Well, I have a crawl space, so any dripping would need to be diverted away from the foundation, my windows are very tall and insulating around them would be very hard and probably ineffecient (with my skills).

Well, I have a crawl space, so any dripping would need to be diverted away from the foundation, my windows are very tall and insulating around them would be very hard and probably ineffecient (with my skills).

That's like saying when it rains you need to dig a moat around your house.  The amount of water from dripping is negligable compared to rainfall. If rainfall doesn't damage stuff, dripping shouldn't.

500 / 330 / 625

Its fairly obvious I have no idea what I'm doing.

Which may be an argument for central.

Window units are easy.  The only pain is installing them every spring and taking them out in the fall (due to not wanting snowfall or leaves accumulating on top). Central air is the way to go if you have the money for it, you don't do anything but adjust the thermostat and pay an AC maintanance guy to come out every 5 years or so.

500 / 330 / 625