Forums are back in action! ×

Non-Nerdy Partner

My fiancée and I are massively different when it comes to all things geeky.

Whereas I will scour articles about latest movie releases (annoyed withe the Sin City 2 delay) or read on comics and computer games, she's more likely to shake her head at it and watch Emmerdale or 90210.

I'm trying to make our 3 month old son, Jack, follow my footsteps. He watches Green Lantern between his naps.

Anyone else the sole Nerd of a relationship?

Dark Elf Monk (Level 1)

| Str 2 | Dex 2 | Sta 2 | Con 3 | Wis 3 | Cha 3 |

Twitter: @MrDanMellor

Here too.  I got her to try D&D out for a little while, but she only really played because the whole crew we were hanging out with at the time was.  But yeah, we have nothing in common hobby or interest wise, we connect purely on the personality/good company side of things.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Guest Dirty Deads

At first, yes. I introduced her to WoW and she started letting her nerd out. I can't say that she has been a total nerd, but she definitely has her moments. I got her to create a profile on here though so feel free to assimilate her! Oh, I did get her to agree to watch TNG after she watches all of Fringe so *crosses fingers*

Totally.  She's all into Pretty Little Liars and Switched at Birth, and was bored to death during Man of Steel.  How can someone be bored in Man of Steel?!?

I was. And as both a Superman fan and a huge movie nerd, the fact that I was bored by it makes me even more disappointed.

But that's for a different conversation, haha. Now back to your regularly scheduled program...

"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win."

—Mahatma Ghandi

And less anyone think this is just a men's thing (I can't really call it a "problem" 'cause my husband is so awesome), I'm a nerdess (nerdette?) married to a total sports fan. Maybe that makes him a sports nerd? At least he doesn't watch 90210...

Every sports fan is a nerd. Every. Single. One. Either sports is just one of the many thinks they're passionate about, or they're so into sports that talking to them about their favorite sport(s), player(s), and team(s) is akin to a housewife who has never read anything but Harlequin romances talking about comics to a comic book geek.

Level 2 Human Ranger

STR [5] DEX [4.25] STA [3] CON [4] WIS [6] CHA [6.25]

Current Challenge

My Introduction

"Blood and sweat washes away pain and fear."

Current Challenge Goals:

Every sports fan is a nerd. Every. Single. One. Either sports is just one of the many thinks they're passionate about, or they're so into sports that talking to them about their favorite sport(s), player(s), and team(s) is akin to a housewife who has never read anything but Harlequin romances talking about comics to a comic book geek.

So true. I accept the role of the novice seated at the feet of the wise master when the talk turns to sports.

We're very different kinds of nerds. He's into sports, and he also knows every ranking in the military ever. He loves his FPS like Halo. He likes The Hunger Games

I'm much more into Game of Thrones, I loved my Skyrim. I get REALLY bored in a game like Halo and just run around like a crazy person. It's just not fun to kill someone over and over and over.

The other night we were watching the beginning walkthrough for The Last Of Us and I was totally into it, but he got bored about 5 minutes in. 

Everyone is a nerd about something, it just depends on what it is. I bet if y'all asked your ladies about their TV shows, they'd be all like, "well in the first season, she was going out with him but then he cheated on her so now she's hanging with this other guy but she doesn't know... etc etc etc". They'd geek out all over the place about it.

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

That's precisely the difference between nerd and geek I think. Geeks are all crazy about a certain topic, while nerds I think are geeky about various things outside the social norm.

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive length and autocorrects (yes, I'm blaming it on the phone).

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

My wife is both a nerd and a geek, despite a massive hatred and inability to grasp both math and science fiction.  I don't know what that makes her, but we have very, very little overlap. Between the two of us, I think we have EVERYTHING covered at least once. 

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

Yup. I fought in the SCA for years; uphill battle all the way. My wife just didn't get it; she was sure I was surrounded by masochists who just wanted me to beat them. I used to go to events by myself which was really no fun, being a 3rd wheel all the time, and then I finally talked her into going to one. It was so much worse than I could have imagined :-/

The past is only smoke in a dream.

Lvl 6 Ranger Berzerker

STR 9 DEX 4 STA 9 CON 8 WIS 2 CHA 8

Barfly ain't even tryin'...

I think nerd and geek is a distinction without a difference. I've been called both. I call myself both. The closest I ever got to a working definition between the two is that, in college, it seemed like all the arts and humanities people were called nerds and all the science, math, and IT people were called geeks--but we often got together and talked about the same video games, comics, TV shows, movies, etc. etc. etc.; we even talked cross-academic discipline, because we all shared a love of learning about stuff from experts in their field.

Level 2 Human Ranger

STR [5] DEX [4.25] STA [3] CON [4] WIS [6] CHA [6.25]

Current Challenge

My Introduction

"Blood and sweat washes away pain and fear."

Current Challenge Goals:

I am pretty nerdy, but I'd say my boyfriend is probably a little teensy nerdier than I am. He KNOWS more about nerd stuff than I do. I just enjoy it.

We both play video games, love sci-fi/fantasy, both of us like Justice League, we both watch anime here and there, we both read fantasy/sci fi a lot, and we both really like science/tech articles.

We also both want the same jobs... in fact we'll probably end up (if all goes well) running a business together someday.

Our jobs are less nerdy though. We want to be carpenters mainly, and build custom houses. You know, the really nice custom log/stackwall/straw bale homes that you dream of retiring into.

He already does it for a living working with his dad. I want to apprentice and get into the same thing.

They're just finishing up a stackwall home that is shaped sort of like a jelly bean. It has no straight edges on the exterior. It's pretty nice, remote though, overlooks a river, right across from a convenience store called the Eagle's Rest.

If I had $500,000 I'd totally buy it myself. It's in an awesome location, and it's an impressive home.

Oh well.

Way to get off topic, and about nothing nerd-related...

Primal Chai
Race: Human | Class: Adventurer

[Level: 0 | STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0 ]

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."  - Christopher Hitchens

We're both nerdy, but I'm a lot more nerdy than he is. I love super hero(comic books), star wars, doctor who, I play (not so much anything) flames of war. He likes video games :P

AwoLer

Level 0

STR: 0 // DEX0 // CON: 0 // STA: 0 // WIS:// CHA: 0

I experienced this when I was with my ex, he was definitely a mix between nerd and geek. He was into anime (I will never be able to forget the theme song to Naruto), video games, martial arts, physics; you name it, he was reading about it. Me, on the other hand, out-going, out-spoken news junkie with a foul mouth.

Opposites really do attract.

I guess that's why I have a soft spot for "nerds", by the way, I choose to use "intellectuals". Sounds more appealing....and intriguing. 

I got my fiancée to watch the Batman trilogy. However that was mainly her wanting to watch Christian Bale and Tom Hardy so it probably doesn't count.

But she did ask if they would do another one with Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Batman, so she must have paid some attention.

She said no to my Trick or treating with our son though. Granted he is only 4 month old, but I wanted to dress us as Luke and Yoda

Dark Elf Monk (Level 1)

| Str 2 | Dex 2 | Sta 2 | Con 3 | Wis 3 | Cha 3 |

Twitter: @MrDanMellor

This is the way I see it: It'd be great if my girlfriend/fiance/wife whatever was equally nerdy. Heck, I'd build her a gaming rig and we'd pwn dragons all day together while trading fantasy novels. However, I have my own male friends I pwn dragons with. If I like a woman it's not a big deal if she doesn't like the same hobbies, I have friends for that. I also like to talk politics and philosophy and religion - again I go to a bar or get a coffee with my bro's and do this, I don't need a woman for that. There's a lot of ways to connect with a person, and sometimes your best matches have a good degree of difference. 

As for raising a child in the Nerding Way, I'd say just let him or her do their own thing. Don't try to influence them, let them go their own path as far as inconsequential interests go. 

tl;dr is how I roll

I got my fiancée to watch the Batman trilogy. However that was mainly her wanting to watch Christian Bale and Tom Hardy so it probably doesn't count.

But she did ask if they would do another one with Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Batman, so she must have paid some attention.

She said no to my Trick or treating with our son though. Granted he is only 4 month old, but I wanted to dress us as Luke and Yoda

Lol just do it anyway, it's a good idea. 

tl;dr is how I roll

Guest Dirty Deads

If you were Vader and he was Luke I could see her argument, however Yoda is not Luke's son. Enjoy Trick or Treating.