Forums are back in action! ×

I'm usually never, ever, ever, nervous. USUALLY, QQ

Ok, I'm nervous. Probably the first time in ages. I'm just never nervous or stressed or etc. (believe it or not, it's actually a flaw).

I'm taking the plane tomorrow for the first time tomorrow morning. :| 

Honestly, I'm scared shitless.

It's not 80% diet, 20% exercise, it's 100% diet, 100% exercise. Give it your all.

My journey (Date - Total - BF % - LBM)

2012-01-01 - 242 - 35% - 157

2013-12-15 - 172 - 10% - 155

2016-05-01 - 231 - 25% - 173

Plane ride? Pretend its a roller coaster. Its actually kind of exciting. Some people fall asleep before takeoff and wake up in the air. 

USS & NBAC Masters swim coach

Current: lifter, runner

Former: triathlete, cyclocross racer, NCAA swimmer

Current games: Borderlands 2, Runescape, Star Ocean, Dragon's Dogma

Never been on a roller coaster....(because I never had the chance)

It's not 80% diet, 20% exercise, it's 100% diet, 100% exercise. Give it your all.

Its only a little scary on takeoff and landing. Turn on the air above your seat so you can breathe easier. Look around at everyone else and see how calm they are. Its ok to clutch your arm rests until you level off.

USS & NBAC Masters swim coach

Current: lifter, runner

Former: triathlete, cyclocross racer, NCAA swimmer

Current games: Borderlands 2, Runescape, Star Ocean, Dragon's Dogma

This is the BEST advice I can give you about flying:

turbulence is to pilots what pot holes and random bumps are to us when we drive.  Literally.  I had a real life pilot (versus the dead zombie kind) tell me that.  We got into a whole conversation about it.  Turbulence freaks me out. Now when we go through it I go "pot hole pot hole pot hole" and it helps.

Also - planes are super duper safe. 

If you feel antsy, tell your flight attendant it's your first flight.  They will help.  They deal with it all the time. 

Def what stevembk says - good advice.  Deep breaths if you feel stressed.  But you won't.  Chat up your flight attendant when you get on.  Chat up your seat mate. 

Yea!!!  Plane trip!!!!

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

chatting up my flight attendant, mmmmm, that's a great idea, something I'm good at too usually xD

All good advice, but I'd like to add this: once you level off, you won't know you're not in a bus (unless you look out the window). Really. My first flight was a non-stop from Raleigh, NC to London. Take off was kind of nerve-cringing; I had a really cool flight attendant who knew it was my first flight, and during take off he shook the back of my chair. I spooked, turned around, saw it was him, and we both busted out laughing.

Brave dude. I could have whirled around and decked him. Guess he could tell I was the type who appreciated a good joke.

Anyway, once we were in the air, I was all like...this is it? It was the smoothest, calmest trip I ever took. Ofcourse, we were on a big jet with lots of room...I've been on a few puddle jumpers that is NO FUN. It's all cramped, but it doesn't feel any less safe. More leg room would be nice, that's all.

For landing, just don't look out the window. I've flown several times and I still get knots in my stomach during landing. I just don't learned to not look. Just close your eyes, or (if you're reading a book) keep reading, or whatever. It's more of the visual shock of watching the ground come up to you than anything; I've never actually felt unsafe, it's just a really weird feeling.

I guarantee you'll love it. It has its disadvantages, just like all forms of travel, but I still feel safer as a passenger on a plane than I do as the driver of a car any day of the week. Have a couple of drinks, talk to your flight attendant, find a good book to read--you'll be fine.

Level 2 Human Ranger

STR [5] DEX [4.25] STA [3] CON [4] WIS [6] CHA [6.25]

Current Challenge

My Introduction

"Blood and sweat washes away pain and fear."

Current Challenge Goals:

Best advice i've ever heard is even though this may be a completely new and scary thing to you, it's everyday and mundane for the crew that's in control of everything. This is something they do on a daily basis. I don't know why but I find that comforting and so have a few others. Hope it helps! 

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

To give you a bit more insight, since my dad was a pilot: The pilots will be trained to fly that specific plane, and will fly only that kind of plane. If they were to switch planes, they'd have to go through (I think) about 3 months of training for the specific model of plane. Beyond that, there's regular simulator training (including what to do when things go wrong), and "check rides", where another pilot goes along to make sure they're following all the procedures, etc, properly. Basically, they know their shit :tongue:

In contrast to almost everyone else in the thread, I enjoy take off and landing. I like to watch out the window, especially coming in over whatever city and landing. I tend to get really excited, especially when I go somewhere new - going to Australia and coming in over the ocean and then over Sydney I had to keep myself from bouncing up and down in my seat like a 5 year old :D

You won't be able to listen to music on an iPod during take off/landing (no headphones allowed cause you have to be able to hear announcements - if the music's on the plane's system it's fine because they can interrupt it), but reading a good book or thinking about where you're going (assuming it's somewhere you're going because you want to, not because you have to) might be good distractions. As suggested, a couple drinks might help, but I'd avoid even getting a little tipsy. The change in air pressure changes your body's reaction to alcohol, and you don't want to be 'that guy'! Drink lots of water, as the air in planes tends to be dry (but not recycled - it's completely new air, contrary to popular myth). If your ears are bugging you and won't pop with swallowing and/or gum chewing, try this: 

Scuba mask not required :tongue:

I can't think of anything else at the moment, but I hope all this helps! :)

ETA: totally thought of something else. When you're let through the gate to board, they'll check your ticket and usually ID as well. When you get down to where the actual plane is, they check your ticket again as you get on, so they make sure you're supposed to be there and so they can tell you where your seat is. So keep your ticket out until you're actually on the plane.