Forums are back in action! ×

I have pervasive dyslexia. Spell check is my bestsest* friend and sometimes my fiend. Grammar for me in the beginning was horrible. Then I met a grammar nazi who showed me kindly how to write. Then and than are the bane of my existence. And it appears that my spell check does not know bane. I have a poster on my wall to remind the kids of the proper use of you,your, you're ETC. If I can learn how to do it right with a LD then so can they.

*bestest -something said like a little kid would just because it is so damn cute.

LOL. I was on a mailing list for this writer who hosts a flash fiction challenge. One day he sends an E-mail and within it he says "I hope this peaks your interest". I politely suggested that he may have meant piqued and I have not received another flash fiction invite since.

I got an email from the Honors Department at a college explaining who they were and what they did. Then the author followed up with a "peaks your interest". From the Honors College!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

joedog, level 15 Monk

Current Challenge

I am loosing my weight, turning it into entropy as it burns and letting it loose on the world!

may I nitpick?

You may be losing enthalpy (heat), but entropy is a measure of chaos, and thus can be negative or positive, but not lost. 

"I was taught that the way of progress was neither swift nor easy." ~~Marie Curie

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honour, Duty, Mercy, Hope. " ~~ Winston Churchill 

Level 1 Human Druid STR 1 DEX 1 STA 1 CON 2 WIS 3 CHA 2  (yes, human. Boring I know.)

I am loosing my weight, turning it into entropy as it burns and letting it loose on the world!

may I nitpick?

You may be losing enthalpy (heat), but entropy is a measure of chaos, and thus can be negative or positive, but not lost.

I haven't done thermo in over 5 years, a little rust I think is understandable.

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive length and autocorrects (yes, I'm blaming it on the phone).

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I'm sure in 9 years you've learned more THAN a lot of the kids here in the states.

Then/Than really frustrates me as well.

I'm sure that could be said about other English speaking countries as well

STR – 24.45, DEX – 13.50, STA – 23.50, CON – 21.40, WIS – 27.65, CHA – 4.50
When the sun comes up, you better start running - Thomas Friedmen
Epic Quest - Current Challenge - Twitter - Goodreads - Fitbit - blog

Well, yeah, usually when I communicate with native English speakers online, it goes a little like this:

Me: I apologize for my bad grammar! I've studied English hard for many years, but sometimes I get uncertain with spelling and such. Hopefully you can understand me properly despite my errors! :)
Native: lol ok np

But of course when you chat online, it's not about grammar and such, it's about being understood and communication. It's actually kinda interesting :)

-:*~ Journal ~*:-

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who wants to stab their eyes out when confronted with all of the terrible spelling and grammar errors in forums (and other places). I know I am imperfect when it comes to spelling and grammar, but sometimes reading things others say... hurts.

I'm pretty sure that too much of that will make my brain bleed from the pain.

Well, yeah, usually when I communicate with native English speakers online, it goes a little like this:Me: I apologize for my bad grammar! I've studied English hard for many years, but sometimes I get uncertain with spelling and such. Hopefully you can understand me properly despite my errors! :)Native: lol ok np

But of course when you chat online, it's not about grammar and such, it's about being understood and communication. It's actually kinda interesting :)

Non native English speaker's grammar never bothers me. Just those who should know better.

sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Can I also introduce the adjacent topic of handwriting? I understand that in our digital age handwriting is bound to suffer a little due to simple lack of practice, but have you SEEN the average 15 year old's handwriting these days!? I'd swear the majority employed their kindergarten-age siblings to write for them! I will concede that signatures are by no means required to be legible (the more difficult to forge, the better) but is it really too much to ask that the rest of the message be readable?

I can't help but feel a sneaking suspicion that today's lack of attentiveness to grammar, spelling and handwriting is indicative of an overall lack of attention to detail in daily life. Or maybe it's just another aspect of the average distracted Western lifestyle. It is rather difficult to concentrate on proper communication skills when you txt and drive, after all.

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

I see I'm not the only grammar Nazi here. I rage in my head all the time about typos. I'm French and seeing someone who speaks English natively making extremely n00b mistakes is hard, I even beat myself up (not literally), if I see some I made.

It's not 80% diet, 20% exercise, it's 100% diet, 100% exercise. Give it your all.

My journey (Date - Total - BF % - LBM)

2012-01-01 - 242 - 35% - 157

2013-12-15 - 172 - 10% - 155

2016-05-01 - 231 - 25% - 173

It makes me crazy. Like a rage zombie. I want to smash my head into my monitor just so I don't have to see it anymore.

Bahahahaha

I just read this entire post and it has officially made my day. My co-workers get irritated when I correct them, my roomies get overly defensive ... it's not that tough - learn to spell!! Half of the crap isn't even grammar - it's just ENGLISH.

::le sigh:: :mushroom:  <--- after smashing my face into the computer in an attempt to knock myself unconscious in order to avoid the grammar nazi OCD in my head.

"Oh, my friend, it's not what they take away from you that counts -- it's what you do with what you have left."

- Hubert H. Humphrey

Azer - Ranger - (STR) 3 (DEX) 2 (STA) 2 (CON) 3 (WIS) 3 (CHA) 2

Level 1

Battle Log ∙ Tumblr ∙ Instagram ∙ Twitter

good and well.

the heat doesn't play good against miami.

UGH The Heat doesn't play WELL against Miami.

FUCKINGSHIT

Yes- I actually corrected one of the guys at the gym for saying that- they now think I'm some sort of nazi.. I don't care. It drives me nuts.  Same as

"Where you be?"

"Where you be at?"

"Where you at?"

GOOD GOD WHO LEARNED YOU HOW TO SPOKE.  You sound SOoooooooooooooooooooooo ignorant!

good and well.

the heat doesn't play good against miami.

UGH The Heat doesn't play WELL against Miami.

FUCKINGSHIT

Yes- I actually corrected one of the guys at the gym for saying that- they now think I'm some sort of nazi.. I don't care. It drives me nuts.  Same as

"Where you be?"

"Where you be at?"

"Where you at?"

GOOD GOD WHO LEARNED YOU HOW TO SPOKE.  You sound SOoooooooooooooooooooooo ignorant!

Agreed - it's obnoxious. How much longer does it take to say "Where are you?" "Where can I find you?" "Are you in the area?" ? Not to mention the immediate increase in perceived intelligence ...

"Oh, my friend, it's not what they take away from you that counts -- it's what you do with what you have left."

- Hubert H. Humphrey

Azer - Ranger - (STR) 3 (DEX) 2 (STA) 2 (CON) 3 (WIS) 3 (CHA) 2

Level 1

Battle Log ∙ Tumblr ∙ Instagram ∙ Twitter

Branching out.

I hate the over use of words like shocking, unbelievable, awesome, etc

Oh, and mesquitos are not decimating New Jersey...

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Agreed - it's obnoxious. How much longer does it take to say "Where are you?" "Where can I find you?" "Are you in the area?" ? Not to mention the immediate increase in perceived intelligence ...

apparently it is very difficult.

I actually said it one time to a kid- I was at a bar/resturant- and he was using the phone of the gentleman to my right's... and he just kept saying where you be at where you be where you be at.  I didn't handle it well- I waited until he ended his phone call and I turned around and said- it's "where are you"  not "where you be at"  needless to say he didn't appreciate my help... but drunk Jo didn't care.  Drunk Jo is a stickler for proper grammar.  

Branching out. I hate the over use of words like shocking, unbelievable, awesome, etc Oh, and mesquitos are not decimating New Jersey... Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

I say epic too much.  obscene.  wildly inappropriate.  all things I say.   Clutch creeps in occasionally which is humiliating- it's so preppy.   oh well.  It is what it is.  I say "YA-TAAAAAAAAAAAA" a lot- which is Japanese for YAY.  (And no- I have no idea how it's spelled) 

Mosquito's certainly are though; you should see my leg- I look like a leper.  It's obscene... plus... I'm super itchy and I want to die.  I think it has more to do with the fact my lazy ass roommate refuses to fucking mow the lawn and it's like a god damn swamp back there.  

I'd rather burn myself with matches than be itchy- itchy makes me crazy.  sad panda face.

I swear Jo, like ALL your posts make my day. Period.

It's not 80% diet, 20% exercise, it's 100% diet, 100% exercise. Give it your all.

My journey (Date - Total - BF % - LBM)

2012-01-01 - 242 - 35% - 157

2013-12-15 - 172 - 10% - 155

2016-05-01 - 231 - 25% - 173

I swear Jo, like ALL your posts make my day. Period.

:D  happy to help.  making a day is AWESOME.  

What gets to me is, you know, when, you know, people say, you know, "you know, every other, you know, word in a, you know, conversation. I can't follow what they're saying because I'm anticipating/flinching at the next you know. You know?

you know... I totally know what you mean.   :onthego: