Forums are back in action! ×

Pacific Rim [SPOILERS!!!]

The pilot not being aware of the sword arm aside, I squeed like a school girl when they used it. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

LOL... I LOVED the way it came out, it was just kinda flopping around and just went "snikt" and was a sword... then I was like "Ohhhh this just got real"

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

LOL... I LOVED the way it came out, it was just kinda flopping around and just went "snikt" and was a sword... then I was like "Ohhhh this just got real"

Right?

And that cut on the flying Kaiju. Oh my god. Possibly my favorite shot from the film, when it flies apart after they slice it in half.

Level 2 Dwarven Noob, Bluff Conqueror

STR: 3 DEX: 0 STA: 4 CON: 4 WIS: 0 CHA: 2

Challenge thread! | Battle log!

The falling-from-ludicrous-altitude-in-the-dawn-sun hero shot?  I clapped my hands in front of my face like a schoolgirl. That entire scene from popping wings to a three-point landing in the stadium is just a magnificent escalation of ludicrousness!

Thinking of which, Tiny!Mako is awesome.

And the drivesuits! They're not just cool! 

The underlayer of the suit is all printed with circuitboard patterns, which must pick up on body movement to help control the Jaeger.  When Raleigh gets Knife'd, we see the bad arm sparking as the circuits overload and the damage looks like the monster has clawed him through the neural link WHICH IS SO FREAKING ANIME and later the in the infamous abs scene (male gaze: inverted!) those scars are all circuit-boardy.  Squee!  And gods alone know how scarred up the Russians must be after six years...

Just saw this for the third time, in IMAX 3D.  From the minute Trespasser roars onto the Golden Gate bridge I was HOOKED.  I wanted to crawl inside the screen and kick Kaiju ass. Everyone talking about squeeing like a schoolgirl? Yup, me too.

The first thing I did after the first viewing was google Jaeger Pilot Training, as if it was real.

Hmmm, I'm sensing a theme for my first 6-week challenge :rolleyes-new: I wonder what kind of training would make for a great Jaeger Pilot? I mean obviously martial arts but definitely resistance and endurance training. I've dorked out a bit on the Pan Pacific Defense website--but I want to make it tangible!

Also motivated by a few interviews with Heather Doerksen, the Russian female pilot (Cherno Alpha and its pilots certainly didn't get enough screen time--their drivesuits were amazing)

http://geek-news.mtv.com/2013/06/06/pacific-rim-heather-doerksen-interview/

Just saw this for the third time, in IMAX 3D.  From the minute Trespasser roars onto the Golden Gate bridge I was HOOKED.  I wanted to crawl inside the screen and kick Kaiju ass. Everyone talking about squeeing like a schoolgirl? Yup, me too.

The first thing I did after the first viewing was google Jaeger Pilot Training, as if it was real.

Hmmm, I'm sensing a theme for my first 6-week challenge :rolleyes-new: I wonder what kind of training would make for a great Jaeger Pilot? I mean obviously martial arts but definitely resistance and endurance training. I've dorked out a bit on the Pan Pacific Defense website--but I want to make it tangible!

Also motivated by a few interviews with Heather Doerksen, the Russian female pilot (Cherno Alpha and its pilots certainly didn't get enough screen time--their drivesuits were amazing)

http://geek-news.mtv.com/2013/06/06/pacific-rim-heather-doerksen-interview/

I'd imagine boxing would be a good base, since you can't really use your feet while fighting. You can knee, but you're pretty limited in kicks... being able to get into other peoples heads would be a definite necessity...

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

Saw it tonight with my wife (who is not so nerdy) - we both really liked it :)

Plot - meh. Acting - cheesy. But boy does it deliver on what it promises - awesome Giant Robot vs Monster action!

We generally don't like 3D in movies, but it was well done in this one :)

Cheesy acting was awesome! I loved how the protagonist had a totally flat emotional tone to his voice the way you get in bad dubs.

You may all want to check out Teefury today.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Thanks for the link Gainsdalf!

Oh man, I was all set to  click "buy" on the teefury Kaiju Hunter shirt.  But the shirt says Canceling the apocalypse since 2014.  The first Jaeger Brawler Yukon didn't defeat a Kaiju, Karloff, until 2015. Wah wah. Still a cool shirt.

If the operation started in 2014, it's accurate.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Cheesy acting was awesome! I loved how the protagonist had a totally flat emotional tone to his voice the way you get in bad dubs.

Yeah the cheesy acting kinda fit with the entire tone of the film (ie Giant Robot v Monster WWE).

The one thing which broke the tone however was the COMPLETELY LUDICROUS premise that Japan would ever scrap their Eva program. Ever.

The whole world may be building a wall, but you know goddamn well that Japan is going to keep building mechs until the world ends.

:) (I enjoyed the film - I just laughed a lot when a friend pointed out the above to me)

The one thing which broke the tone however was the COMPLETELY LUDICROUS premise that Japan would ever scrap their Eva program. Ever.

The whole world may be building a wall, but you know goddamn well that Japan is going to keep building mechs until the world ends.

Haha, seriously. I mean, Japan HAS a full sized Gundam already. It doesn't do anything, but they could fix that.

On the other hand, Japan is a tiny little island; it probably got totally squished early on so there was no Japanese mecha program. Actually, given that Mako was in a large city getting squished by Kaiju, I'm surprised they didn't take opportunity to destroy Tokyo Tower (again.) Maybe they thought most people would be confused and think she was in Paris?

My childhood was all Power Rangers and Gundams, and this movie made my heart sing with glee.  Giant robots smashing giant monsters that keep getting worse?  Angel Grove/Tokyo getting destroyed?  Random giant sword you didn't know about until almost too late? YES PLEASE.

I gotta say, though, my favourite part was probably Global Warming. 

"Why is this all happening to us?"

Because GLOBAL WARMING! It makes MONSTERS come!"

I laughed till I cried.  And now I want to answer any question with "Because GLOBAL WARMING!"

Level Four Mandalorian Assassin

| STR: 8 | DEX: 7.5 | STA: 12 | CON: 8 | WIS: 7.25 | CHA: 6.75 |

| First Challenge | Second Challenge | Third Challenge |

You can't look dignified when you're having fun

http://stormingtheivorytower.blogspot.ca/2013/07/the-visual-intelligence-of-pacific-rim.html

We consistently devalue the depth of visual communication in our culture--I mean, this isn't anything revolutionary to say, it's just the big dumb elephant in the room of media studies, that we have an overwhelmingly visual society that has no clue how to read images.

Awesome.

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

More pacific rim shirts over at teefury.com today only, get em while you can.

500 / 330 / 625

So I'm reading through the topic and chewing the imagery in my head again and now I feel like I need to go run and lift heavy things and spar until I fall over dead. Does anyone else get the urge to train when watching or thinking about these types of movies?

Life is full of hard times and good times. Learn from everything you can.

Swinging_Jarnbjorn: Lv 1 Asgardian Ranger

Focus Up! My current challenge.

Loss As A Motivator

So I'm reading through the topic and chewing the imagery in my head again and now I feel like I need to go run and lift heavy things and spar until I fall over dead. Does anyone else get the urge to train when watching or thinking about these types of movies?

YES! I came out of Pacific Rim wanting to train to be a Jaeger Pilot.  The OST is the perfect workout companion too.

Sometimes I watch apocalyptic-type movies or TV shows and think "Could I make it? Would I survive?" 

It's a bit dated, but that first inkling came to me during the Tom Cruise version of War of the Worlds and he was running and running and running away from aliens.  

I wouldn't have made it.  I would have been pulverized dust.  It's definitely a motivating factor--wanting to be one of the survivors!

Rule 1: Cardio!

When I watched Wolverine and the part where he get's the adamantium attached and then comes bursting out of the water... yeah... how could you not?

X-Men-Origins-The-Wolverine-VFX-Breakdow

My first challenge