Forums are back in action! ×

On My Way To McDonalds I Realized "I'm That Guy"

"That Guy" = That friend/relative/co-worker who always seems to be naturally eating heathy and physically fit

I have been reflecting on the past 2 months about the changes that have occurred to my body. This battle started with me trying to get out of the 260s and here I am 2 months later battling through the 230s, having mowed through the 250s and 240s. I have been focused on the physical exercise, nutrition plan (I am not on a diet!) and the resulting weight loss. I see the physical effects when I look in the mirror, when I put on my now ill-fitting clothes and when I go to the pool (without being self-conscious). I see my sons' reactions to my behavioral changes and resulting physical changes and I know that what I am doing is worthwhile.

But I had an epiphany of sorts this morning when I awoke to find that we were out of eggs, which I eat post-workout every morning. I decided that I would stop at McDonalds on the way to work.

Backstory: I used to eat at McDs (or any number of fast food joints) every day - sometimes twice a day. I put food into my mouth with no conscious thought of what was in it or what affect it had on my body. If it tasted good to me, I ate it. And if I didn't have to get out of my car to buy it, all the better.

But this morning, for the first time ever, I knew exactly why I was going to McDs and why I would order an Egg McMuffin w/out Canadian Bacon. I knew the fat/protein/carb ratio and how this fit into my daily nutrition plan. I knew how these ratios compared to every other fast food breakfast option and knew that it was the best one for me. I knew this because I had taken the time to research this weeks before. For the first time in my life I went to McDonalds with purpose.

And it occurred to me that I do this everyday, with every meal. I used to eat the wrong food without consciously deciding to, and I ate the right food only after seriously thinking about it. 2 months of logging everything that went into my system (myfitnesspal.com - get it, use it, love it) and documenting my body's response to it had developed in me an intellectual database of the nutritional values of nearly everything.  Without even knowing it, I have completely reversed the way my mind considers food options. I now eat good food without much thought and eat bad food with full consciousness of not just the fact that I'm eating it, but that I have a plan to deal with it.

And then it occurred to me that while getting out of the 260s and through the 250s were, in fact, a battle, the 240s and now the 230s are pretty much a piece of cake kale.

More important than the changes to my body is the change that has gone on in my head. Before I started this venture, I read The Power Of Habit. I intellectually knew that it would take some time to overwrite some of my bad habits. I took steps to ensure success: deciding to change (to me, most important), no allowance for exceptions, telling others, resolve, visualization, affirmation, reward. But I had not stopped to contemplate if I had succeeded. I guess the fact that I hadn't thought about it indicates that it had.

So, 237 is still too much weight, even for a large-framed, 6'3" guy. I still have the paunch in the front, love handles on the side, although all are shrinking precipitously. It will take some time before my body catches up with my mind and I'm good with that - in fact, I want it to take time.

And the beauty of it all is that this now seems innate, or intrinsic. I'm not doing this based on a fear of failure, or conscious desire to be something other than what I am, but because genuine change has taken place. I am doing this because this is who I am and this is what I do. I know that it will take time before others see me as I now see myself. But right now, in my mind, I'm no longer who I was..."I am that guy."

Give yourself a "woot" if you've already figured this out.

Oh yeah, I need to poke a new hole in my belt - this time, in the right direction.

Dude, congratulations. This is such a fantastic thing to realize about yourself. I'm getting closer to where you're at, did a similar thing with an egg biscuit at Chick-Fil-a yesterday, in fact. It's all about lifestyle.

Here's to new habits, new perspectives, and smaller love handles! *cheers*

Level 4 Tiefling Assassin

STR 9 // DEX 5 // STA 5 // CON 9 // WIS 4 // CHA 8

I'll never love visible abs nearly as much as I love whiskey.

Challenges: One Two Three Four Current

keli, thanks. I know this should have been a simple observation, but it is just now dawning on me that people who are fit are usually so simply because they want to be - and more importantly, are committed to doing what it takes.

As for how I feel about this breakfast, I eat eggs with cheese every morning, washed down with skim milk. Sometimes I'll add fruit or a single slice of toast.

Today's breakfast was about the same. Drank the milk at home and the english muffin was just a slight increase in carbs over the toast.

No change in how I felt throughout day. Lunch at the same time, nothing more or less.

I other posts I have said that I am taking an approach that is sustainable for me and my life with wife and 2 kids. I can't go paleo even if I wanted to. I have to be able to eat pizza. I have to be able to eat at restaurants, and sometimes fast food types, ball parks and amusment parks. I want my kids to see that you don't have to be a circus freak to eat healthy, as long as you balance it all out. So I researched all the restaurants we go to, looked for low carb alternatives - thin pizza, baked pasta, eggs and bacon, smaller portions, etc. I was surprised by what I could eat and still adhere to daily plan. I haven't found one restaurant where there isn't at least one option that is adequately healthy, palatable and satiating

Congrats!  Once you get to that point, barring something drastic, its not a question of if you will reach your goals but when.

If you haven't done so already, its time to start thinking about the next step.  How to deal with the transition, what next.  Give yourself plenty of time to plan.

So many fail to plan for that event, declare mission accomplished, and gain it all back.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Congrats!  Once you get to that point, barring something drastic, its not a question of if you will reach your goals but when.

If you haven't done so already, its time to start thinking about the next step.  How to deal with the transition, what next.  Give yourself plenty of time to plan.

So many fail to plan for that event, declare mission accomplished, and gain it all back.

Thanks Waldo.

I'm a big believer in planning for success. Before I started I asked myslef if I really wanted to do this. Seems like everyone would say "yes," but I wanted to make sure I understood what I was saying "yes" to. Before I tried to change even one thing I read The Power of Habit and Gary Taube's Why We Get Fat.

Once I knew how my brain worked (and why sometimes it seemed not to) and how my body responded (with loads of insullin) to what I was putting in it, I tried to formulate a plan that would allow me to eat heathy within the boundaries set by the life my family leads. I knew I could do it in theory, but could I do it in the real world? I looked for protein rich, carb starved foods that I could eat in the normal course of my life. Once I identified a ridiculous amount of healthy and tasty alternatives to the crap I was eating, I knew I could do it.

I have been thinking about the transition, and I think I will be able to deal with it. For one, I grew up thin and athletic, and even in my overweight status, still remember the whoiwas. Being fit before was unintentional, just a result of happenstance, of good genes, of no effort. I now know I have to act intentionally.

My fear, slight as it is, is that as I move away from the negative feelings of living the unhealthy lifestyle and as the euphoria of the new lifestyle wanes, I will accept compromises and exceptions. My plan is to keep journaling to track my progress, keep logging and keep searching this powerful network for knowledge. Anonymous strangers and Google have done more for me than anyone I know.

Peace.

My fear, slight as it is, is that as I move away from the negative feelings of living the unhealthy lifestyle and as the euphoria of the new lifestyle wanes, I will accept compromises and exceptions. My plan is to keep journaling to track my progress, keep logging and keep searching this powerful network for knowledge. Anonymous strangers and Google have done more for me than anyone I know.

Always have your next goal in mind.  When you journal to track your progress, have your motivation (From this current challenge if you have joined) plastered inside of where you keep your notes.  Keep your goals written on you.  Whenever you feel that you are going to compromise the progress you've made write down what you have already achieved.  The euphoria does not need to wear off.  Healthy living is HAPPY living.

Level 1 Warforged: Neophyte of the Empty Hand

“The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.â€

I love this post. What an eloquent expression of a genuine change. I think it also speaks to me because I've made the same kind of change (i.e. complete mental reversal of attitude to food), but it took me a lot longer so massive congratulations for (a) making the change and (B) planning and researching it in such a way as to do it as efficiently as possible. Woot!

Questionable Hobbitʉۢ Level 0ʉۢ Aspiring Warrior

STR 0 â€¢ DEX 0 â€¢ STA 0 â€¢ CON 0 â€¢ WIS 0 • CHA 00

Challenge Log: Puddletheduck stops waddling and starts bouncing (flying will come later)0

"Life's too short to be fat and miserable."

That is fantastic! It's wonderful that you've made it to the point where you're making consciously, but naturally, good food choices! I was at McD's yesterday with some friends who wanted icecream, and I had the conscious thought that I just wanted nothing to do with anything in there. The smell of the fries alone used to be my kryptonite, but I really just didn't care. It was a great feeling! It's funny how we've all had our McDonalds struggles :) Don't worry, you'll be past those 230's in no time!