Forums are back in action! ×

Nerdy Story Co-op **sign ups for round 1 closed**

Testing the waters to see if there is any interest...  Here's my idea (and not entirely sure it hasn't been done here before).  

I'd like to start a co-op story writing thread that mimics the class activity I would do in grade school where the teacher had us start a story, pass the paper, and keep going round until the teacher called time.  Then, we took turns reading the crazy awesome tales we fashioned with the help of our peers.  I'm no poet laureate, but I thought it would be great fun to get you nerds involved in a similar activity.  Let's see what epic greatness we can come up with?

If interested, please respond to sign up.  Once sign ups are closed, I will use a RNG to decide the writing order and post it (so that everyone gets a turn, and we aren't all responding to the same story post at the same time).  If you are number one, let the story begin!  Once the writer before you posts his or her story segment, you are free to continue the tale with your work.  Take as little or as much time as you like posting your bit!  The sky is the limit, but you are confined to a single post (so fit the sky and more in that one post!).  

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO JOIN IN ON FUTURE ROUNDS!

Current Posting Order:

gwenhwyfer

seahound

jitterstheclown

red1263

klaymates

ghost

alienjenn

vengefulpear

Crystal Gem Druid || Stat-free Level-free Goodness

"I won't run away anymore... I won't go back on my word... that is my ninja way!" Uzumaki Naruto

"You're pro or you're a noob. It's so easy, that's life."  Athene, Best Paladin in the World

"Do what the fuck you want to." Panic Station, Muse

I did something similar on forums in the past. We just called it role-playing though. Each person would make a character that fit into the genre of the provided setting and basic plot to follow.

Then we'd take turns posting. The characters would interact with each other, and there was usually a "saving the world together" goal.

Primal Chai
Race: Human | Class: Adventurer

[Level: 0 | STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0 ]

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."  - Christopher Hitchens

That sounds really cool!  This is a bit less constructed though.  No premaking of characters or settings or plots...anyone involved would be responding to the writing before them.  Each person can introduce new characters and plot arcs and whatnot as they please, but would hopefully still respect the work of those before him or her.

"I won't run away anymore... I won't go back on my word... that is my ninja way!" Uzumaki Naruto

"You're pro or you're a noob. It's so easy, that's life."  Athene, Best Paladin in the World

This sounds like fun, I'm game.

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

game

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

I'll give it a try.

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

Six so far, posting order in a few days.

and requirements for time and such and criteria for being skipped/passing your turn :)

please and thanks 

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

and requirements for time and such and criteria for being skipped/passing your turn :)

please and thanks 

I'd like this to be pretty relaxed, so I don't want a really tight time requirement.  What sounds fair to all of you (if so and so hasn't posted anything or forfeited by x time passed)?  Two weeks?  Three?  Less?  If a person posts asking for more time, I am fine to honor that as long as the rest of the group is as well.

If a person would like to forfeit their turn for a round, I think just posting "pass" or somesuch is fine to let the next person know.  

My initial plan is one post for each person involved to create the story.  If you are the first person, you start the story!  There are no predetermined prompts (although if you want to look for short story prompts online to help you, be my guest!), plot lines, characters, whatever.  The last person in the order ends the story.  The people betweeen #1 and #last fill in the middle bits.  Ideally, #second-to-last would honor his or her position and begin tying things up to help #last seal the deal.  Then, we can reroll writing order and start again if desired.  Of course, this does mean that if you forfeit your turn, you've completely missed out on contributing to one short story.  

If you guys aren't interested in this, please let me know.  We can just keep doing story roulette and repeat the writing order over and over until the story comes to its own organic closing or everyone becomes too bored (I think the first method helps with this...it keeps things moving and helps prevent our story from going in circles or stagnating!).  

Thanks for bringing up these questions alienjenn!

I am very excited about this.  If we get enough short stories done, I am going to collect them and get them printed in a book-like form.  I would then mail them to those who would be interested that contributed to it.  

• Like 1

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

O i like relaxed too. ... just wanted to know terms ;)

Sent with tapatalk... if this post seems brief or full of misspelled words it's because my phone and autocorrect are actively plotting against me

Spoiler

And the clown rocks

Sent with tapatalk... if this post seems brief or full of misspelled words it's because my phone and autocorrect are actively plotting against me

Spoiler

I am very excited about this.  If we get enough short stories done, I am going to collect them and get them printed in a book-like form.  I would then mail them to those who would be interested that contributed to it.  

COOL!

So we're doing a X week long story? Just one post? how long will/should the post be? 

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

I think I understood it to be that we were doing the story until it naturally died rather than putting an artificial limit on time/word length??

Spoiler

The last person in the order ends the story.  

We can just keep doing story roulette and repeat the writing order over and over until the story comes to its own organic closing

the first time I read through this I missed the first bit :)  so I was confused

I like it both ways

Spoiler

Humm...  I guess I misunderstood then!

Well, in that case, if possible, may I so selfishly ask to be the first to start the story?  I just got a character and plot in mind that I'd really like to share, lol.  (Call me a child for asking such a request to be first...  I am pretty childish, lol).

<p>Gwenhwyfar, level 0 Wild elf adventurerSTR 0|DEX 0|STA 0|CON 0|WIS 0|CHA 0

well... she did say both...

so.... I is confused

Spoiler