Forums are back in action! ×

I've got a long way to go...

Hi, I'm Kandice. I've been overweight my entire life, and morbidly obese for the last 10 years of it. My mom and my sisters are also severely overweight. I've tried a lot of things to get my weight under control, with no regard for my actual health (eating popcorn and water for a week, for example) I rarely exercised (I've often said I was going to 'biggest loser' myself skinny and did 1 day of one of my multitudes of workout dvds and was sore the next day so I quit) and when my so-called "diets" didn't work I gave up and started eating whatever I wanted. Which is how I came to be a 5' 2 female at 309 pounds. (I've since lost a bit and am now at 281.) 

In the last several months I've tried to make getting healthy my main goal. (Instead of just aimlessly losing weight.) I am 29 and I would like to have children which is impossible at my current weight/health. (Also, when my friend says we should all cosplay as Adventure Time characters, I want to be able to pull of Marceline rather than Lumpy Space Princess.) I'd also like to vastly improve my agility, strength and endurance. When my cousin talks about doing The Color Run, I want to tell her I'll see her there. When my husband's brothers and cousins get into ridiculous physical competitions I want to take them on as well. (They compete over everything, I can kick their asses at a game of RISK but I can't play when they start rope climbing, swimming, running, or push up competitions.) 

Anyway, In May my aunt was telling me that her son was doing a Whole30. I didn't know what it was, but my cousin and his wife are always in excellent shape, and I thought if I was going to emulate anyone, it would be them. I did the research, the benefits people said that they had seemed too good to be true, and it seemed so difficult, but I had literally nothing to lose, except for, you know 150 lbs. I lost 17.5 lbs, but even better, I felt GREAT! Heartburn and digestive issues that I had every day for years went away within a couple of days. Then, we went out of town for the 4th of July and I quit eating paleo, and when I got back home I didn't get back to eating paleo, until my heartburn came back with a vengeance. Then, it seemed that about 1 out of every 5 meals was strict paleo, and I was easily swayed. But my dad started a Whole30 on the 1st of September. I have been much better at sticking to the diet, because I have someone to try recipes out on. (My husband hates vegetables, so he rarely eats what I eat. My dad called me and demanded I make him some more mayonnaise the other day.) So, diet wise I think I'm doing alright. 

Now, I just need to work on fitness. In July, my mom and I started walking at our local park at 4 am every morning. Our park is .7 miles in circumference. We started out doing 2 laps. Now we do 3 on weekdays and 4 on the weekend. And a couple of weeks ago we added a few stretches of sprinting throughout (for us, some else might consider our speed a light jog.) I'd like to get better at running. Then, last week I decided I wanted to do something for strength, and my google-fu led me here to the beginner body weight routine. Which I've attempted 3 times. I was trying to do it every other day. I've yet to complete 3 full circuits, but I'm hoping perseverance will win out in the long run. And once I've gotten better at that, I want to try to add something like yoga to the days in between the body weight workout, to increase my agility. I'm hoping as I get better at everything I can do more exercise-y things. 

Sorry for the novel length post. I really hope I can find a place here and make friends who will help me realize my goals. So, any experts here want to weigh in on what I'm doing and whether or not you think it will work?

• Like 1

I'm no expert, but I know that the first step is the hardest.  So keep it up.  It will get easier.  Also, a good cure for heartburn is dark leafy greens.  Arugala or baby kale always work well for me.

Better Living through Reckless* Experimentation

*But well documented

I agree that the first step is the hardest.

And I'll also throw in that diet is the most important part of losing weight, exercise will definitely help you a lot but as the saying goes 'you can't outrun your fork'.

So super well done on getting the diet part down :) And remember it's all about finding your level and then improving on that, you say some people might consider your sprint a job. But that's your high intensity training which is very good for you :) so well done and keep up the good work!

Assassin Guild Leader  Trainee

STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Current Challenge: Vengefulpear Revives!

Level 1

High Score:

Level 7 STR: 14 | DEX: 10 | STA: 1 | CON: 12 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 4

Hi, a long way to go, sure, just like me @264lbs, but, in due time, the amount we'd learnt would all make it worth it!

I've had some failed attempts, 2 big ones in fact, but now that I'm in the third strike, I really benefitted from the prior attempts, and come back, strong, faster, fitter than before!

Persevere and you'll cosplay Marceline in time, it'll be worth the payoff! :-) 

IntroductionBodyware: Fitness Journal

Challenge Belt: (1)(2)(3)(4), (5), (6), (7), [WOOT](8), [TEMP HIATUS], (9)

Bodyweight Info: Starting: 264.5lbs, Current: 167.8lbs (NEUTRAL)

IronGlider v2.10, Adventurer Rank: Level 8

Good for you!!!  I'm excited you found us!

Let me just toss my hat into the "I love kale" bucket.  My favorite way to have it is to steam it for 5-10 minutes (soft with still some crunch, not mushy!).  In a small pan, I'll warm up some olive oil, balsamic, garlic, and whatever herb I want/have handy.  Mix it all together and enjoy.  If I want to make a whole meal of it, I'll cut up some tomatoes or any vegetable I have laying around to make a warm salad.  Delish!

Good luck!  We are here for you!   :nevreness:

I actually ate baby kale salads twice this week, not bad. I've never actually cooked kale, it's going into the list of vegetables I need to try to cook. I'm kinda like a Sim that seriously needs to level up their cooking skill. I mean, I've only flailed wildly at a small kitchen fire a couple of times, and I never had to rock-paper-scissors the grim reaper for my life, yet. But still, prior to starting this diet I thought that adding mushrooms and onions to my jar of Prego when I made spaghetti made me a good cook. 

I lost like 3 pounds in the last two days, so I think I must be doing something right. Thanks for the warm welcome, you guys. It seriously helps to feel that there are people who have my back, especially when I'm pretty sure my mom thinks that I've gone crazy and dragged my dad along with me.