Forums are back in action! ×

A Nerd, most definitely in need of Fitness!

Hi all,

I've read the newsletters for months and working on the ebook as we speak... I was very tempted to sign up for the woman's academy... But I think I need to start here first with all of you.

I admit it, I'm a nerd... I'm 29 years old, an elementary school teacher, I was on Napster when I was 14 as a pirate before pirating really had a name, I am a recovering WoW addict (lvl 70 NE Druid ftw!), and fantasy novel junkie (can anyone say Lewis, Tolkien, Eddings, Feist, Brooks, and Erickson?).

I've been relatively overweight my whole life, but honestly, I think when I was in high school it was really more in my head and my self esteem...and of course society's picture of what a woman should look like...

When I graduated from college and moved in with my (now) husband, and we discovered WoW... I wasted 2 years of my life and gained about 70lbs...and for the last 5 years I've been trying to lose it.

The stress of this extra weight on my body has been my biggest hurdle, I've been diagnosed with sleep disorders, thyroid issues, had blood clots, injured limbs, torn ligaments/surgery on my wrist, and a whole slew of back problems... These aren't excuses, this is my past and present...but now I'm thinking about my future.

I went to physical therapy for my back about a year ago and was inspired by the philosophy of my therapist... Instead of machines and electrodes, his exercises were real-world and easily done at home as well in a gym... That is what seems so alluring about the NF philosophy as well... I don't do gimmicks... I don't do fads or diets, and I don't buy in to those "easy ways to lose 15lbs" nonsense...

I need a workout that will fit into my crazy life, and the support to keep it part of my lifestyle, even when I get discouraged.

I know that I need to change what I eat as well, though no matter what snide remarks my doctor makes about "stop eating fried foods" or "don't eat so many chips" I am a relatively healthy eater... I have a cookie occasionally, I do consume dairy, but I don't sit in front of a bag of chips, and I don't have pizza and McDonalds every day. I eat whole fruits and vegetables, organic meats, and whole grain bread (though I don't eat breads or pastas often)... What I really need, is muscle and a workout.

I've worked my ass off on treadmills, personal trainers, etc. without actually losing my ass...honestly? There's nothing more sad than seeing this fat gerbil run... I hate it. I'm hoping that by finally joining a community of people with similar goals and interests, it will help give me the confidence to keep going, no matter what hurdles get in my way.

My body may be designed to keep me fat, but I'm ready to give my genetics and all the other excuses a big "F You" and literally work my ass off. (Well... Maybe not the whole thing, how about just a smaller and more shapely ass? Lol)

I hope that this is the place that will keep encouraging and supporting me to complete this quest... I was always more of a raider... I need a team, a guild, not just soloing. Will anybody accept me?

(P.s. Those WoW references are symbolic only, I have no clue how nerdy the message boards are... Haha are there actually guilds? Cuz that'd be awesome.)

Level 6.5 Female Druid/Celtic Goddess
(Str. - 14) (Dex. - 10) (Sta. - 11) (Con. - 10) (Wis. - 11) (Char. - 13)

My Most Recent Challenge!

Spoiler

Awake every morning and do your best to follow this daily To-Do List:

1. Think Positively 2. Eat Healthy 3. Exercise Today. 4. Worry Less. 5. Work Hard. 6. Laugh Often. 7. Sleep Well.

Then? Repeat...

"Promise me you will always remember: You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
RIP C.H. aka. TexasToast

Thanks Sunshine!

Spoiler

1. Think Positively 2. Eat Healthy 3. Exercise Today. 4. Worry Less. 5. Work Hard. 6. Laugh Often. 7. Sleep Well.

Then? Repeat...

"Promise me you will always remember: You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
RIP C.H. aka. TexasToast

You've definitely come to the right place!  Congrats on making the first step and good luck on your journey!

Challenge thread | Battle logs | Active PVP | @PetziCola

Start: 349 lbs | Current: 332.6 lbs | Goal: 275 lbs

Endomondo | MyFitnessPal | Personal website

"Ah yes, I was wondering what would break first... your spirit, or your body!" - Bane, The Dark Knight Rises

Six Week Challenge Weight Loss Progress:

20%
20%

Thanks!!!! Time to find an accountibilibuddy I think!!!

Spoiler

Then? Repeat...

RIP C.H. aka. TexasToast

(P.s. Those WoW references are symbolic only, I have no clue how nerdy the message boards are... Haha are there actually guilds? Cuz that'd be awesome.)

You can never have too many WoW/comic books/LotR/Star Wars/video games/books/ other nerdy interest references, the more the better!

STR – 24.45, DEX – 13.50, STA – 23.50, CON – 21.40, WIS – 27.65, CHA – 4.50
When the sun comes up, you better start running - Thomas Friedmen
Epic Quest - Current Challenge - Twitter - Goodreads - Fitbit - blog

I'll try to keep that in mind...its not often that nerdy and fitness go together so well...it will be an entirely new experience!!!  :panda:

Spoiler

Then? Repeat...

RIP C.H. aka. TexasToast

Hi CrazyMags

The guilds are an actual thing! And in my (heavily biased) opinion you should join the Assassin's Guild! :P And if you fancy an accountabilibuddy you need look no further! (But I'm also going to respond in your other thread :) )

Assassin Guild Leader  Trainee

STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Current Challenge: Vengefulpear Revives!

Level 1

High Score:

Level 7 STR: 14 | DEX: 10 | STA: 1 | CON: 12 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 4

Lol I have to laugh at me as an assassin! I'd be terrible! Lol I'm a rather big and clumsy elementary school teacher... Lol maybe it's the perfect disguise? Lol

I WAS a feral Druid... But I think I have to wait for the next challenge and join the adventurers guild first don't i?

Spoiler

Then? Repeat...

RIP C.H. aka. TexasToast

I believe so, or at least you have to do one challenge in Level 1 Rebels and then I think you can move onto whichever guild you desire

But here's the FAQ if you want to read up http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/33335-challenge-faq/ :)

Assassin Guild Leader  Trainee

STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Current Challenge: Vengefulpear Revives!

Level 1

High Score:

Level 7 STR: 14 | DEX: 10 | STA: 1 | CON: 12 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 4

Hey, CrazyM! Welcome! :-)

You've made a great start, and I'm sure this place will be perfect for ya. I've been overweight my entire life too and @265lbs, I gonna change it all! I'm sure your ready to as well.

P.S. love your comment on genetics! Gonna note it :-D

IntroductionBodyware: Fitness Journal

Challenge Belt: (1)(2)(3)(4), (5), (6), (7), [WOOT](8), [TEMP HIATUS], (9)

Bodyweight Info: Starting: 264.5lbs, Current: 167.8lbs (NEUTRAL)

IronGlider v2.10, Adventurer Rank: Level 8

Thanks!!! Don't be a stranger, we are in this together! Woot woot! :-D

Spoiler

Then? Repeat...

RIP C.H. aka. TexasToast