Forums are back in action! ×

Rooks - Tracking the Daily Grind...

OH! This is coming from someone who has never actually done it, but I would say that if you were 210/212, water manipulated down to 205 to make weight that 2 hours would be more than enough time to get hydrated and bloated again.

Agreed... but I'm planning on dropping to the ~190 range after the meet anyway, so might as well keep dropping.

You're planning to be a skinny fuck.

Lol just stay north of 181 or so.  I don't need someone else around my weight to be far stronger than me 

I've been fat for a long while.  I want to try being skinny for a bit.  We'll see if I actually make it though.  I've hit 199.x lbs twice in the past 3 years.  Both times, within 2 weeks, I was back to 205+.  :)

You're planning to be a skinny fuck.

Lol just stay north of 181 or so.  I don't need someone else around my weight to be far stronger than me 

Ahem...

• Like 1

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

Ahem...

Eh, with you becoming "Skinny Girl vodka" sipping lightweight you're in a group that I despise more....far stronger than I am yet several pounds lighter.

So yeah... been a crap-tastic last 48 hours. Tuesday morning woke up with a mild pain in my right side. Thought it was hunger or something. Ate a nice big breakfast but pain only got worse as the day went on. Went to the doctor about 3. Said he didn't think it was an appendicitis but come back if the pain didn't go away. Well by 9pm, it really hurt. Went to the ER. Took 3 hours to get into a room. They gave me some morphine and did full blood work plus a CT scan. No idea what's wrong with me still. Best guess was a virus of some sort.

Got home at 3am and slept alright, but pain was back the next day. They gave me some Vicodin for the pain but it doesnt seem to help a lot. Was pretty worthless all day yesterday. Hardly slept at all last night.

To top it all of daughter is going in for surgery of her own today. Minor but still requires her getting drugged. So yeah... few hours in the waiting room with gut pain and stress. Ugh... come on body. Figure this out and heal yourself.

Morning weigh-in:  211.8

It was only 7 days ago when I posted the status of "Been thinking about how much I complain lately. It's sort of frightening how easy it is to see things that are "wrong", but not take the time see things that are right."  Odd how not 1 day after that posting that I thought things were going wrong... and 3 days after posting that, things actually were wrong.

So... from my last post on Thursday morning, I stated that I was still suffering the ill effects of a either a super upset stomach or a nasty little stomach virus.  Still not sure what it was, but it seems to be on the mend now.  That said, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday were all very miserable days for me just in terms of the pain in my stomach.  Went to the ER again on Thursday as it got really bad, and they upped my pain meds from Vicodin (which this pain laughed at) to Percocet (holy shit that is good stuff but damn it knocks me out). 

So on top of that, my daughter was going in for a minor surgery to open her tear ducts and then have a precautionary MRI due some oddities the eye doctor saw.  It was all going to be very routine and we'd be home in time for dinner.  We arrived at 11am and she was going back to get drugged up by 12:30pm.  I think the doctor was already up telling us how the surgery went by 1pm.  Then she was off to get the MRI which we were told would take about 90 minutes.  The nurse came in right about the schedule time, but rather then telling us our baby was in recovery, she wanted to get us on the phone with a doctor.  It took me a bit to realize what was happening, but when it finally did click... it hit like a ton of bricks.  This wasn't good news.  Sure enough... the MRI had revealed a large brain tumor in my little ball of sunshine.  A BRAIN TUMOR!  What?  No... that has to be a mistake.  I'm one of the healthiest people I know... my families don't get sick or have strange things like this (ironic since my gut hurt so much at this point that I was having a hard time standing for more then 5 minutes). 

Needless to say, there were tears.  Confusion and tears.  A Dr. Sensor (in retrospect, quite the name for a doctor who specializes in Oncology) came and talked to us.  All and all, she explained that this didn't instantly mean cancer and all the super bad stuff you instantly think of.  And in fact after some conversation, she didn't really seem to think it was anything bad.  She was leaning towards NF-1 (or Neurofibromatosis type 1).  And I guess that's not the worst thing, given she has zero learning disabilities (well ahead of the curve in terms of words known for a 19 month old) and sees and walks well. 

So after our baby was given back to us, I finally succumbed to the pain and went down to the ER at the same hospital to see if someone could fix me so I could fix my daughter.  No go... came back to the room with a new prescription in hand, in more pain then ever, especially emotionally.  I snapped.  I lost it... I was in the bathroom heave crying because I didn't want to do.  The doctors couldn't fix me and I was in so much pain that I didn't feel like I could stay with my daughter who I just found has a BRAIN TUMOR!  After 5 minutes of basically mentally breaking down in the bathroom, I vomited.  I had 1 piece of cheese pizza and a Gatorade that day (plus some meds).  I have no idea how I spewed up 3 times that quantity of stuff.  But it happened.  Oddly enough, it helped calm me down a bit since it drained me so much. 

I finally decided that I was useless regardless of my state of health and my wife told me to just go home.  I have no idea how she kept it together through all this, but my wife is nothing short of Super Woman.  She's amazing and I love her so much. 

I went home, drugged up, and got at least some sleep while the drugs were in effect.  The next day I went back to be with my family, but still wasn't in great shape.  We headed home around 3:30pm on Friday as there wasn't anything the doctors needed to rush with so we were supposed to go home and have a normal weekend.  Saturday, my parents came up and helped out with the kiddo while I just sort of laid around.  Sunday, my wife's mom came up and did the same.  Finally, on Sunday, I started to turn the corner.  By the end of Sunday, I was feeling pretty chipper.  Still drained since I would be lucky if I was averaging 700 calories a day for the last 5 days, but better.

So back at work today, and feeling better, but still can tell my gut isn't 100% yet.  All and all though, I'm have no idea what this means for my meet.  I'm clearly going to be going to a lot of appointments for my daughter to get things figured out, so workouts will probably be diminished.  And really... I have zero desire to workout right now.  Between recovering emotionally and physically, it's just not there.  Who knows... maybe in a week, I'll be chomping at the bit, but right now it's so far from important. 

It's cliche, but I would really give anything for that little girl. 

• Like 1

Dude...I don't really handle real life stress/sadness well and usually become socially awkward, but I had to say something.  I'm not a religious person, in the least, but every prayer that I have, to whatever God or being you believe in, is with you and your family.  I could not imagine how I would be feeling if I got that news about my boy.  And you're wife is ridiculously strong to be able to be there for the both of you when you couldn't deal due to your own issues.

Hopefully, the doc is right and it's not a big deal...as far as brain tumors go.  I haven't really known doctor's to be overly optimistic, in my experience they tend to lean toward being extremely pessimistic. I assume the whole "under-promise, over-deliver" mind set.

And fuck lifting...unless that can be some sort of refuge. 

I don't have shit for you, bro. I couldn't imagine being in your position. What I do know is that when I stop training for a week or better my head starts going places I'd really rather it didn't. If you find that happening and you can find the time, drag your ass down in the basement and engage in some therapeutic self harm. If not, then focus on what's most important now and fuck the iron. It'll still be there when things get sorted out.

• Like 1

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

Even having an 11 month old of my own, I can't imagine what you must be feeling now. I'm almost in tears just reading it. +1 to what matty said. I'm not religious, but any prayer or thought I have goes out to you. Let me know if I can do anything at all.

But yeah, screw lifting for now.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Dude, all the prayers...  

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

So I hit the basement gym twice this weekend.  I think both my wife and I are fully into the "acceptance" phase now and are just doing what we have to so our little baby girl gets back to full health and we aren't a pile of waste when that does happen. 

So yeah... I wouldn't say it was cathartic, but I did want to lift. 

Saturday, just screwed around with some overload bench work.  Worked up to a triple at 225 without the slingshot.  Then going up by 10lb increments, worked up to a triple at 255 with the Slingshot.  Then did 5 triples at 185 without the Slingshot.  Then tried out the grip exercise that Ed Coan recommended in one of the SuperTraining TV videos.  Only had 95lbs, but damn if holding that sucker for 30 seconds wasn't brutal.  I can't even imagine the strength Ed had in the hay-day to do that with 400+ lbs. 

Sunday was Deadlift day and actually did my normal 3-day of my 5/3/1 program. 

Exercise Sets Reps Weight

Deadlift 1 3 335

Deadlift 1 3 355

Deadlift 1 3 380

Sumo Deadlift 2 3 275

Snatch Grip Deads (w/ Straps) 5 3 225

Loved the Snatch Grips.  Felt great on the upper back.  Probably should have gone heavier, but I was moving pretty quick so it was fine.  380 set was the only one I belted for.  That felt heavy.  Also, the sumos are still a work in progress.  Was just working on form with those, and something near my left hip didn't enjoy sumos at all.  Was originally going to 5 sets, but called it after 2.  Will probably have to lower the weights and work on these a bit.

• Like 2

Exercise Sets Reps Weight

HBBS 1 1 275

LBBS 1 3 285

LBBS 1 3 300

LBSS 1 3 320

HBBS 1 1 320

HBBS (5-second Pause) 2 1 275

Front Squat 1 1 225

Should have done more volume, but just started screwing around with heavy crap to see how things felt.  Should have started much lighter with the front squats as I think I screwed up my left wrist a bit with the 1 225lber.  Such is life.  Weights move well today.  Still unsure on whether I'm stronger with HBBS or LBBS.  HBBS just feel more natural, but at the same time I've done 10x the reps in the past year. 

Far as life goes, big day tomorrow.  Baby girl goes in for her biopsy so we figure out what the hell this thing in her head is and how we can treat it.  Overall, doctors are feeling very optimistic so far that's a very treatable situation, but again that can all change tomorrow once they actually know what it is.  Praying hard tonight. 

Isaiah 12:2 - "“Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and will not be afraid; for the Lord God is my strength and my song, and he has become my salvation.â€

• Like 2

We're all here for you, my friend.  Keep the faith.

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

I've been having the same thoughts on HBBS. My next 6 week training cycle I'm focusing on it exclusively then testing at the end. I figure 6 weeks of training leading up to a 1RM should make it pretty clear.

Good luck with the medical stuff, in my thoughts.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Stealing a formatting idea from J, which I guess he stole from the Russians.

June 29th, 2015

Workout Time:  65 minutes

(load/reps x sets)
Paused Incline Press - 185/3 x 5

Paused Bench w/ Slingshot - 225/3, 250/3 x 3

Close Grip Bench Press - 210/3 x 5

Dips w/ Slingshot & DB Curls - NA & 25/12 & 10 x 3

Decided to try treating my incline day like an accessory lift since that it what it is.  Not going with the 5/3/1 format for this day anymore as this felt really good.  Got loads of volume.  250 felt heavier than it has previously, but still got through all 3 sets.  Also, everything was E3MOM, mostly.  Might have gone a bit long on some of the change-over sets, but all and all it was close to that. 

June 30th, 2015
Workout Time:  50 minutes

(load/reps x sets)
Deadlift - 315/5, 355/3, 400/1
Snatch Grip Deadlift - 225/5

Felt like junk this entire workout.  I think my 3 straight nights of 4-6 hours of interrupted sleep (baby girl is teething) is starting to catch up to me.  The 400 pull felt good, so much so that I thought I'd hit a double at the top of the pull.  That said, when I set it down... I felt pretty damn light headed, so I opted for safety.  I actually started to shake a bit after it.  Wierd sensation.  It passed after a minute or two.  Took everything I had to try the snatch grips.  Got 1 set down and just decided I didn't have it in me.  Originally I was planning on 3 sets of Snatch Grip, plus 3 sets of LBBS with some light weight, then some pull-ups.  So yeah... volume got hit hard today, but at least I got the working sets in. 

Some other notes of interest.  I've officially stopped cutting.  E-mailed the guy running my meet in August, and got moved up to the 231 weight class.  With that, national qualification is out, but whatever.  With baby girl's tumor, it's hard enough finding time to get my job done and finding the gym. 

Also, Best Belts are finally taking orders again.  Ordered up my nice Lime Green Double Prong Athlete yesterday.  Pretty pumped to see that arrive in 4-6 weeks. 

As for the baby girl, things are looking optimistic.  We got confirmation yesterday that the tumor is a low grade glioma, which is basically the best case situation.  Should be very treatable.  We find out tomorrow what the treatment plan will be. 

Stealing an idea from Most Loathed... here's a jam that I've been stuck on lately. 

And finally... my favorite bible verses.  I know some of you probably aren't believers, but it's a big part of who I am so yeah... ignore it if it ain't your thing.  Done rambling for now...

12 Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him. 13 When tempted, no one should say, “God is tempting me.†For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; 14 but each person is tempted when they are dragged away by their own evil desire and enticed. 15 Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death. 16 Don’t be deceived, my dear brothers and sisters. 17 Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. 18 He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of all he created.

• Like 4

Just saw this.  I really feel for you and your wife.  I almost lost my wife and twins and birth, and then my twins were in the NICU for 6 weeks, so I know the simultaneous terror and numbness that can overtake you when you get news like that.  It's very good to hear that her condition carries such a good prognosis.  I have some friends with a 1 year old dealing with NF, and that can be a long battle depending on how it presents, but it sounds like you guys may have a more temporary ordeal with an excellent outlook.  All the best to you and your family.

• Like 2

Hi! I'm wildross ' s wife...saw your note in the Christian thread.

I'm so blessed to read the positive report, and will continue to lift up your baby girl. Sounds like she's just a bit younger than our youngest grandson. You guys are so bent on fixing everything that it's earth shattering to not be able to! Wildross goes to the gym. ...and takes it out there. Before the gym, it was chopping wood.

Hugs to your wonder woman wife...I've been there, done that. ...and i give her props!

May God pour out his blessings from heaven and show you his glory, in Jesus' name!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 4

In His hands and Under His wings, Phil 4:13; Is 40:31; Jer 29:11
 Adventurer by choice

Just saw this.  I really feel for you and your wife.  I almost lost my wife and twins and birth, and then my twins were in the NICU for 6 weeks, so I know the simultaneous terror and numbness that can overtake you when you get news like that.  It's very good to hear that her condition carries such a good prognosis.  I have some friends with a 1 year old dealing with NF, and that can be a long battle depending on how it presents, but it sounds like you guys may have a more temporary ordeal with an excellent outlook.  All the best to you and your family.

Hi! I'm wildross ' s wife...saw your note in the Christian thread.

I'm so blessed to read the positive report, and will continue to lift up your baby girl. Sounds like she's just a bit younger than our youngest grandson. You guys are so bent on fixing everything that it's earth shattering to not be able to! Wildross goes to the gym. ...and takes it out there. Before the gym, it was chopping wood.

Hugs to your wonder woman wife...I've been there, done that. ...and i give her props!

May God pour out his blessings from heaven and show you his glory, in Jesus' name!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks from both of you.  Support is always greatly appreciated.  And yes... the weight training has been a reprieve from a lot of this.  I can just hit the iron and zone out.  Another surgery on Wednesday, then chemo starts on Friday.  Still tough to believe that my little bear will have to endure chemo.

July 4th, 2015

Workout Time:  60 minutes

(load/reps x sets)

Paused Bench - 190/5, 215/3, 240/2

TNG Bench - 185/5 x 3

Spoto Press - 185/5 x 3

Close Grip Bench - 135/12 x 2, 135/6

DB Curl - 24/12 x 3

Coan Barbell Grip - 95/30sec x 2

Notes:  Overall, this felt great.  Probably even had a 3rd rep in my tank at 240, but form would have suffered.  After watching some of Wesley-Smith SuperTraining vids, I'm going to keep leaning on the better side of caution and be more apt to cut sets short.  Might as well get the easy volume post super heavy stuff in since that seems to be where the benefits are from.  Still amazed at how hard that stupid barbell hold is that Coan shared with SuperTraining.  At 95lbs, my forearms are just screaming after only 2 sets. 

July 5th, 2015

Workout Time:  60 minutes

(load/reps x sets)

HBBS - 265/1

LBBS - 265/5, 300/3, 335/1

HBBS - 335/1

LBBS - 245/3

HBBS - 245/3 x 2

Notes:  Videoed the two top sets at 335.  Trying to figure out which style I'll go with for the competition.  Will post up tomorrow hopefully.  Overall, I think I feel better and more comfortable with HBBS, and I think the rep went up faster, but I honestly believe that 335 is closer to my max with HBBS.  It felt harder.  More comfortable, but harder.  So I'll probably stick with LBBS for the comp.  Overall, after watching the videos was very pleased with the speed of both reps.  Definitely more in the tank, just not sure how much over 350 it'll be.  Was a bit surprised how gassed I was after the working sets as 4 or 5 sets of 5, but just couldn't muster more then 3 reps in any of the sets.  Just called it after 2.

• Like 1

Looking for critique on both these reps.  Sorry for the craptastic lighting I have in my basement.  

335lbs.  This was my 1 day of my latest 5/3/1 cycle.  95% of my training max of 355lbs.  You can definitely tell my right side is still the weaker side of my body as both reps shifted to the right (known that my right side is just all around crappier for awhile, I'm working on it). 

Otherwise, not sure.  As I stated in my battle log, I think I felt more stable and stronger with low bar even though I think the speed was slower.  Wish I had a decent video editor that allowed for side by side videos.  Also, I noticed I did get a bit rounded with the High Bar right out of the hole which didn't happen with Low Bar.   Think I'm going to proceed with Low Bar for my comp.  Input is appreciated.  

Both looked good. Looked like your chest caved less on the low bar.

I also shift right, but I think it's because it's my dominant side, and also think my right leg is a bit shorter. Something I've been working on fixing as well.

I'd just go with whatever you train more and are more comfortable with for competition.

• Like 2

500 / 330 / 625

Ordered on 6/29 with a supposed wait time of 4-6 weeks.  Arrived today... a whole 8 days later.  Well done Best!  Apparently they built up a bit of a inventory or they got production issues sorted out.  Pretty pumped to give this thing a try.  

Again for those curious, this a Lime Green Double Prong Athlete by Best Belts.  Link.

zwc30j.jpg