Forums are back in action! ×

Who shoots and/or hunts?

I shoot but I do not hunt. Would love to learn to duck hunt but I am 40+yo and probably a little late to start. I just like to shoot at the range or skeet. 

Never too old to learn!  Like they said, find a guy who already duck hunts and ask him questions.  And if he's cool with it, tag along on a hunt.  If I'm not mistaken, duck season is coming up soon too (around here anyway).  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

It's way better to bring a predator call and blow it at the lions.

• Like 1

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

Mr. Ripple is a duck hunter - we have some fresh mallard in a marinade as I speak for tonight's dinner. When he has a really good season, we'll make jerky out of the duck meat as well. I used to know a deer hunter that would swap duck meat for deer meat which was so nice for added variety - I really should try to find someone who is interested in this kind of exchange. 

• Like 1

There is a road, no simple highway,
Between the dawn and the dark of night,
And if you go no one may follow,
That path is for your steps alone.

Respawn. | #1 | Current Challenge.

That.  Sounds.  AhhhhMazing.  

Umm, yeah, it is. We are currently both doing Whole 30 though and our jerky recipe isn't compliant... boo! 

you can buy deer meat if you want to go that route. Most of the processors around here sell the extra if the customer doesn't want it.

Good to know! I'd still rather trade - we often accumulate duck at an alarming rate if it's a good season! 

6FD1BKK.jpg

By 10:30 on opening day I was eating breakfast. It was a good day. Of course today was a bust, and I feel like a cripple after the walk, but so far it's been a good season.

• Like 2

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

6FD1BKK.jpg

By 10:30 on opening day I was eating breakfast. It was a good day. Of course today was a bust, and I feel like a cripple after the walk, but so far it's been a good season.

Great!!  That's definitely a good start to the season.   

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I hunt, but not often, mostly due to work & the logistics of it.

I bowhunt more than anything, just because my coworker takes off for black powder, so I have to be at work. He doesn't do archery, and I love my bow, so it's not a bad deal.

Don't get me wrong, I also like my muzzleloader, my .280, my .308, and A.J. as we jokingly call my 9 mm, but my bow is special to me.

When I was 12, I started 3D target tournament archery and did it until I went to a residential school in 11th grade. I was good. It was the first thing I ever felt truly " good" at, ever. I saved my winnings and had a custom bow built when I was 17. I use it still. I could only use it at my parents house for several years, but just this summer, the tstars aligned and I can shoot at mi casa. :-)

I usually kill1 a year. No sense on killing more, my freezer is too small. :-( lol

I was Really excited to see this thread. I'm my only nerd friend that hunts and in my career field, my coworker and I are given some dirty looks for it.

• Like 2

If you manage to bowhunt duck, you are a badass. :D

But seriously, I'm a little envious. I've barely ever bow, much less hunted with one.

I have killed exactly 2 squirrels with my bow. I would need cheaper arrows before I'd try a duck!

Oh! Or a set up like for bowfishing! That could fun! 'Scuse me while I go ruminate on a new sport..

• Like 1

Headed for the deer lease tonight. My uncle's out for the season already with an injury, so my dad and I are reeeeally needing to shoot straight this year...

• Like 2

"Strong in purpose and strong in action; strong within and strong without; strong against foes that are seen and strong against foes that are unseen; all the way up and all the way down, all the way around and all the way through; first, last and always—strong!"

a6a59af7a9f26cabed5ef72d1d09d534.jpg

Nailed a seven-pointer, dressed out at about 95lbs. Whitetail doesn't get terribly big out on our lease, for some reason. Hit what I was aiming for, neck/spine shot. DRT.

This post comes to you live from the side of the road, where my dad's battle wagon (Volvo 940) currently resides in smoky slumber... Silly Volvo, flex plates aren't supposed to come loose!

Sigh.

• Like 1

"Strong in purpose and strong in action; strong within and strong without; strong against foes that are seen and strong against foes that are unseen; all the way up and all the way down, all the way around and all the way through; first, last and always—strong!"

I have killed exactly 2 squirrels with my bow. I would need cheaper arrows before I'd try a duck!

Oh! Or a set up like for bowfishing! That could fun! 'Scuse me while I go ruminate on a new sport..

I killed a few squirrel last year when i was out practicing with my bow. I turn them into dehydrated dog treats, last forever and the dogs go crazy for them. 

Bow hunting ducks...hmm I'm not quite that good. I bow hunt turkey but that's not really hard. I got 3 deer during early archery season so I haven't been out with my rifle. I bought the extra tags so I might go out for late and see if I can snag one more. My brother and I try to get as much of our meat hunting & fishing as we can, so far we haven't made it a whole year without buying meat, but that's the goal.

I was really hoping to get drawn for the bear hunt this year. Wife is telling me I can take the trip to Canada before we turn 40 to hunt bear up there. 

• Like 1

Level 6 - Scout

Challenges - Lost Diary of a Scout

#5#4#3#2#1

I have a simple idea that solves the problem.  Send all the jerky to me!   :D

Haha, we haven't made any in quite some time. Since you're local-ish though, you're welcome to a bag or two of duck breast whenever we meet up for Tough Mudder training! 

• Like 1

I killed a few squirrel last year when i was out practicing with my bow. I turn them into dehydrated dog treats, last forever and the dogs go crazy for them.

This sounds interesting. How do you the squirrel treats - skin and dehydrate whole? Or are you processing them and dehydrating the meat?

Awesome, thanks! Might give me a reason to bring a 22 out next trip.

Nailed a seven-pointer, dressed out at about 95lbs. Whitetail doesn't get terribly big out on our lease, for some reason. Hit what I was aiming for, neck/spine shot. DRT.

This post comes to you live from the side of the road, where my dad's battle wagon (Volvo 940) currently resides in smoky slumber... Silly Volvo, flex plates aren't supposed to come loose!

Sigh.

Good lookin deer.  Silly car though.  Flex plates are a lot of fun to replace too!  (not so much)

I was really hoping to get drawn for the bear hunt this year. Wife is telling me I can take the trip to Canada before we turn 40 to hunt bear up there. 

Da Bears! 

Haha, we haven't made any in quite some time. Since you're local-ish though, you're welcome to a bag or two of duck breast whenever we meet up for Tough Mudder training! 

I'll take you up on that!  I don't eat duck very often, so it'll be a nice treat.  A guy I used to work with would make little poppers (or whatever you call them) out of duck that were pretty good too.  

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I'll take you up on that!  I don't eat duck very often, so it'll be a nice treat.  A guy I used to work with would make little poppers (or whatever you call them) out of duck that were pretty good too.  

Sweet! Just remind me since it will be awhile before we get around to training - I can also give you some ideas of how to prepare if you need help! 

• Like 1