Forums are back in action! ×

bad times to train

You should probably repost this in a different section - it will get lost in all of the challenge threads.

That being said, the worst time to train is definitely never ;) Right before bed could interfere with sleep, but that can vary by person too.

"None of us can choose to be perfect, but all of us can choose to be better." - Lou Schuler, New Rules of Lifting for Women

I don't think it really matters, as long as you're not too tired to push yourself, and as long as you plan your meal times appropriately.  You don't want to be going into it starving, or feeling like you are weighted down or queasy from a big meal.

I like keeping my workouts at the same time of day, but my body starts to expect workouts at the same time of day after I get into a routine.

Train when you can. Just do it, stop overthinking it.

• Like 3

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

Train whenever you can, whenever you want to, and whenever feels best for you.

I train in the middle of the day because I am not a morning person, I often have breaks between classes in the middle of the day, and night is my best writing and working time, so I'd prefer to use it for those things.  But a friend of mine prefers training at night, because it helps him unwind and relax and he sleeps better.  Just a different-people thing.

Try a few different times, see what works for you, if you've got the flexibility in your schedule to do it.  And don't worry about it so much.  As long as you're making it to training, you're headed in the right direction.

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

Bad times to train:

During a funeral

On a romantic Valentine's date (although why you wouldn't be at the gym for this is beyond me)

When getting lectured by a boss or parent (go after)

Watching Game of Thrones--don't blink or you'll miss a major character die

• Like 2

Victory is not a destination; it's a process.

Depends where your gym is located in my experience. My old gym was on an industrial estate surrounded by a council estate. The busiest times of day was lunch time to late afternoon. My new gym is in a more affluent area (but I still live in the poor part lol) and the busiest times are sort of 8:00ish and 16:30ish right before people go to work. Although the weight area tends to almost always be pretty clear. Except Sunday when for some reason the dumbells get packed out.

The valiant never taste of death but once.

Battle Log:

100 Day Bench Press Challenge (64 Days)

Challenge: 1, 2

Estrix, level 1 Goblin Raider

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2

There is no such thing as a bad time of day to workout. The only time I wouldn't recommend it is when tired, sick, and certain injuries. Pretty much anytime where your activity can not be done with correct form. That and who wants to go and say run when they are sick or tired? There is a reason the term drudge march exists and that is what I would consider that circumstance.

What we are born with, we must make our own
Or it remains a mere appurtenance.
-Faust

Everyone is different. Get a general feel for your own body and go with it. Traditionally, boxers did roadwork in the morning and went to the gym in the afternoon. I couldn't do that, so when I was training I would run at midnight before I went to bed.