Forums are back in action! ×

I started lifting heavy things!

I did the same thing yesterday :)  I was completely lost on where to start, so I browsed around and found the Stronglifts program.  If you're looking for an accountabilibuddy, I'm starting day 2 tomorrow (today is recovery).

It's a pretty simple program to start.  5 sets of 5.

Day one is:

5x5 Squats, 45 pounds (just the bar)

5x5 Bench, 45 pounds

5x5 Barbell Rows, 65 pounds (bar, 10lb weight each side)

They even have an iphone app that keeps up with the reps and tells you the right exercises for the day that you're on.  And it's free! :)

Congrats on the start!

• Like 1

Adams-Sensei; 4th Dan, Shotokan Karate

Level 0 Human Monk/Dad

Str: 0 - Dex: 0 - Sta: 0 - Con: 0 - Wis: 0, Cha: 0

Awaiting first challenge!

I did the same thing yesterday :)  I was completely lost on where to start, so I browsed around and found the Stronglifts program.  If you're looking for an accountabilibuddy, I'm starting day 2 tomorrow (today is recovery).

It's a pretty simple program to start.  5 sets of 5.

Day one is:

5x5 Squats, 45 pounds (just the bar)

5x5 Bench, 45 pounds

5x5 Barbell Rows, 65 pounds (bar, 10lb weight each side)

They even have an iphone app that keeps up with the reps and tells you the right exercises for the day that you're on.  And it's free! :)

Congrats on the start!

This is what I've been doing actually! Except for the rows I did just the bar. I haven't gotten to workout 2 in the gym yet because I don't think I'm strong enough to overhead press the bar, and I'm not too sure about deadlifting yet either. I did those and my squats at home with dumbbells yesterday. Today is a cardio/interval training day, and tomorrow is back to workout 1.

• Like 1

I'm doing pullups instead of the barbell rows actually - I think it's a better back/arm workout than the rows.

I haven't done a deadlift day yet, but according to most of the posters here, it's one of the holy trinity of weight lifting exercises, so I'm stoked to get to it.

Today is my interval day too.  Tomorrow i add 5 to the squats and start a 45lb overhead press and 95 pound deadlift.  We'll see how that goes. :)

Happy lifting!

Adams-Sensei; 4th Dan, Shotokan Karate

Level 0 Human Monk/Dad

Str: 0 - Dex: 0 - Sta: 0 - Con: 0 - Wis: 0, Cha: 0

Awaiting first challenge!

Neato burrito. I'm jealous of the gains you'll make very quickly, esp. as a male. I'm doing Stronglifts 5 x 5 also, and am on Week 7 and have made some really good progress on all the lifts except barbell row and OHP, which I'm working on. Get your protein. Eat your post-workout carbs. And you may want to forego to HIIT for a few months. Or, just do it all. Be a champion. If you have issues with cramping/DOMS, do yoga!!

Good luck!

This is what I've been doing actually! Except for the rows I did just the bar. I haven't gotten to workout 2 in the gym yet because I don't think I'm strong enough to overhead press the bar, and I'm not too sure about deadlifting yet either. I did those and my squats at home with dumbbells yesterday. Today is a cardio/interval training day, and tomorrow is back to workout 1.

use a lighter bar.  some gyms have junior or women's bars.  even an EZ curl bar will work.  you'll quickly grow strong enough for the olympic bar if you start that way.

lifting heavy things is fun!  go, you!

Strong People Don't Put Others Down, They Lift Them Up.